What's new

***NEW*** Proraso Red with Sandalwood Oil and Shea Butter

I just have a hard time wrapping my skull around this.
Proraso...but WITHOUT MENTHOL!???!?

I kid. I'm sure I'll eventually buy their entire red and green new lines.

And it's great...even more protective than the old formula. Good job, Proraso!

Just got it here at work, so could only check out the scent...lovely. And the tube is going to be showing up in a lot of SOTD posts, I predict. Very old school.

While my nose doesn't care for the new red, I've used it pretty much every day since I got it, because it's great and I like to get to know a new product. :smile:

My tube arrived this morning. I'll be altering my planned rotation this week to give it a first run in the morning. My initial sniff in the tube was a bit powdery, but I won't pass judgment until I try it out...

I just have a hard time wrapping my skull around this.
Proraso...but WITHOUT MENTHOL!???!?

I kid. I'm sure I'll eventually buy their entire red and green new lines.

I hear ya I was kinda hoping they would stay with the menthol to, but it doesnt deter me from wanting to try this.

... My initial sniff in the tube was a bit powdery, but I won't pass judgment until I try it out...

Interesting, I don't get powdery at all.

To me it smells very earthy and woodsy, sort of like the old T&H sandalwood. Proraso red has quickly become one of my favorite creams, because of its performance and scent (which I love).

After a couple shaves, one of the best. Lather is as good as any top notch English cream -- maybe better. Nearly impossible to get bad lather. I prefer it to the green, but like that new formulation too. I'm using it with a newly acquired feather SS straight so that's saying a lot For protection and comfort.

Post shave feel is great with IB wax.

Scent is just fine to me. Light sandalwood. Price is great too.

Shave one: The scent came out of the tube without the powder note I got just sticking my nose up to the opening. It was not a woodsy scent to me. As I first started whipping up the lather, which developed quickly and easily, I got a very artificial scent from the cream. It's hard to describe. I don't know if I was getting something from the shea (which shouldn't really have much scent, I don't think), but I never got anything earthy, let alone the creamy wood smell of a good sandalwood. In fact, as the shave went on, I must have become wholly anosmic, because I quickly detected no scent whatsoever. That said, the lather was great. I did two passes with my straight, and was left with a very nice smooth face. The skin feel was good. This was not as moisturizing as I get with some other products (e.g., Mike's Natural Soap, MWF, XPec), but less drying than some others too (e.g., C&E Nomad). Overall, I think it is a keeper, in fact, I think it might be fun to do an uber with some Nomad or even some Cade.

I don't get powdery either. Mostly wood/earthy, slightly sweet. It's sandalwood. Not fancy schmancy sandalwood, but sandalwood. And yes, I'd call it "authentic." To be perfectly honest, people have been spoiled with bouquet-like perfumey sandalwoods (AOS, etc). This isn't single-note, and it's not what one would expect. But I like it. It reminds me of Edwin Jagger or Muhle Sandalwood stripped down to the bare essentials.

Glad to hear, Amund. Proraso actually never disappoints!

Totally. I've used my Proraso products a lot lately, just to get to know them a bit better. Now I even have to get the green cream in tube as well me thinks haha! :smile:

First shave with this was today. Love the scent, though I can see why people would find it odd. It's very "woody" in the same vein as Harris Marlborough, but it's real sandalwood. Also, I noticed a very subtle cooling effect. during the shave. I checked the ingredients and sure enough, the last item listed is sandalwood oil, which is known to be cooling on the skin (and is used in many traditional Indian skin preparations). The scent really opens up when lathered. Very pleasant. Bravo Proraso!

I was generous and used two dollops of cream and was rewarded with mounds of shiny, oily-slick lather. Very slick, very protective, but I have to work with it more to figure it out. All in all it seems to be a winning product.

First shave with this was today. Love the scent, though I can see why people would find it odd. It's very "woody" in the same vein as Harris Marlborough, but it's real sandalwood. Also, I noticed a very subtle cooling effect. during the shave. I checked the ingredients and sure enough, the last item listed is sandalwood oil, which is known to be cooling on the skin (and is used in many traditional Indian skin preparations). The scent really opens up when lathered. Very pleasant. Bravo Proraso!

I was generous and used two dollops of cream and was rewarded with mounds of shiny, oily-slick lather. Very slick, very protective, but I have to work with it more to figure it out. All in all it seems to be a winning product.

Still have my 2 red tubes on their way from shaving.ie - but I like that you think it reminds you of DR Harris Marlboriugh since this is my favorite winter scented cream and I was looking for a new shaving cream, which would be ideal for the winter months (winter is only 6-7 months here, but always on the lookout for a new winter cream....always - since my den is full of lemon/lime/mint/eucalyptus/cologne based summer creams)

So really looking forward to trying this red Proraso stuff - Italians are master creators of shaving products. I do prefer their shaving creams a tiny bit over the English Gentlemens :batman:

I think it's important that people mulling the idea of buying this understand that if your idea of sandalwood automatically defaults to AOS, reset your expectations for the new Proraso. "Wood" is the name of the game. And even if you aren't sure after smelling the tube, lather it up before rendering judgment. I made a second batch of lather today and the scent is wonderful. I am REALLY impressed that Proraso was able to swing this.

This may be the best I've used...shaved with Cella tonight and noticed that it wasn't in the same league as the new Proraso! And that's saying something, as I used to love Cella.....good work Proraso!

Top Bottom