What's new

New Gentleman Checking In

Like many first timers, I have been lurking for a while but here I am. First off thanks to all B&B members for all the info posted within these forums and a shout out to mantic59 and his tutorials.

Before I found out about wet shaving I was using the gillette fusion, and only because that was what was issued to me in Parris Island a few years ago. Combining that with the multitude of aerosol can goop, shaving was a huge chore. I never knew what an irritation free shave was. So after going back civilian life I just let the beard grow and knocked it back with a beard trimmer without the guard every couple of weeks. I only shaved on important days such as my wedding and job interviews. So for years I was that guy that had a constant 2 day shadow. So after years I finally decided it was time for a change. I went through my last couple gillette carts grudgingly and ended up on my last one. After the sticker shock of blades at costco I said to myself there has got to be a better way. After internet searches I found B&B but still didn't pull the trigger. The start up cost scared me away and I went back to my beard trimmer. This was around Jan time frame.

Then everything changed about a month ago as I was cruising through a local Target and stumbled upon the new VDH safety razor and starter kit. For $45 plus tax I said F it and they came home with me along with some nivea sensitive ASB and Aqua velva classic ice splash. If figured I have blown more money on beer. It was almost love at first shave. After a month, I am still using the blades that came with the VDH (not a fan, lab blues on order) and everything with the kit except the soap(not bad, just not a fan of it). C.O. Bigelow branded Proraso has become my daily shave, especially with the hot muggy summers in NC. I am writing up a review of the whole VDH kit (from the perspective of a beginner) I will post when I get some time.

I wanted to give a big thanks to B&B members here for helping me get irritation free DFS/BBS and not turn my face in cutlets.
Thank you for your military service and yes we look forward to your journal thread.

Top Bottom