What's new

New Gentleman Checking In

Like many first timers, I have been lurking for a while but here I am. First off thanks to all B&B members for all the info posted within these forums and a shout out to mantic59 and his tutorials.

Before I found out about wet shaving I was using the gillette fusion, and only because that was what was issued to me in Parris Island a few years ago. Combining that with the multitude of aerosol can goop, shaving was a huge chore. I never knew what an irritation free shave was. So after going back civilian life I just let the beard grow and knocked it back with a beard trimmer without the guard every couple of weeks. I only shaved on important days such as my wedding and job interviews. So for years I was that guy that had a constant 2 day shadow. So after years I finally decided it was time for a change. I went through my last couple gillette carts grudgingly and ended up on my last one. After the sticker shock of blades at costco I said to myself there has got to be a better way. After internet searches I found B&B but still didn't pull the trigger. The start up cost scared me away and I went back to my beard trimmer. This was around Jan time frame.

Then everything changed about a month ago as I was cruising through a local Target and stumbled upon the new VDH safety razor and starter kit. For $45 plus tax I said F it and they came home with me along with some nivea sensitive ASB and Aqua velva classic ice splash. If figured I have blown more money on beer. It was almost love at first shave. After a month, I am still using the blades that came with the VDH (not a fan, lab blues on order) and everything with the kit except the soap(not bad, just not a fan of it). C.O. Bigelow branded Proraso has become my daily shave, especially with the hot muggy summers in NC. I am writing up a review of the whole VDH kit (from the perspective of a beginner) I will post when I get some time.

I wanted to give a big thanks to B&B members here for helping me get irritation free DFS/BBS and not turn my face in cutlets.

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Thanks for your service.

It is true. Whether you go out for a few beers at the local watering hole or buying specialty/high quality import beers, $45-$50 dollars doesn't last long. I was more surprised by the whole fact that I could find a starter kit, locally and on hand, that didn't break the bank. While I am sure the quality is excellent, I couldn't see spending $55 for the cheapest DE that AoS had, and still having to get everything else.

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you're off to a fine start. I'm in my third month with a DE and am really enjoying the feedback my skin is giving me from close shaves (with improving technique) using quality soaps, creams, and lotions.

Learned all about it here. Pretty amazing resource.

Welcome and Semper Fi. I had been a DE shaver until the Marine DI's in Pensacola told us, in their sweet, soft way, that we could only shave with the cheap cartridges available in the BX. I spent a lot of years using them (how could Staff Seargeant Walker, USMC be wrong!) before coming home recently to DEs. Enjoy this forum!

Top Bottom