What's new

New Gem Style SE razor from Above The Tie

And the website says the head is being redesigned.
The original head was so mild that almost everybody returned it. It was redesigned to be more aggressive and was sent out to many of the early purchasers of the first head. Reports came back from some that the new version was good, but others complained it was still too mild.

If the website says it is being redesigned, it is apparently being redesigned for the second time, because it was already redesigned once.

The original head was so mild that almost everybody returned it. It was redesigned to be more aggressive and was sent out to many of the early purchasers of the first head. Reports came back from some that the new version was good, but others complained it was still too mild.

If the website says it is being redesigned, it is apparently being redesigned for the second time, because it was already redesigned once.

Sounds like the designers overlooked the fact that most of the Gem blade razors throughout their production life were quite efficient razors when properly used. Certainly the Mocromatics prior to the bullet tip and earlier versions were. As these seem to be the commonest used models they are what Gem blade razor users have come to expect. A very mild razor is not what they expect or want.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So far I haven't found a GEM razor I don't consider mild but they really are efficient. It would take quite a feat to produce something that would compare to a 1912.

So far I haven't found a GEM razor I don't consider mild but they really are efficient. It would take quite a feat to produce something that would compare to a 1912.
But for the price they want for it, why not just by a vintage GEM ?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Have you tried a 1914? They are a little more aggressive than a 1912.
Sure. I don't particularly like the 1914 version but that's more in the design and loading than aggressiveness.

I did find someone selling his Sabre (at a not quite as crazy price) and so it is headed my way.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
But for the price they want for it, why not just by a vintage GEM ?
I have a whole herd of vintage GEMS including several Damaskenes. But I still wonder why folk like Baili and Weishi haven't issued a GEM clone that retails under $20.00?

Sure. I don't particularly like the 1914 version but that's more in the design and loading than aggressiveness.

I did find someone selling his Sabre (at a not quite as crazy price) and so it is headed my way.
+ 1 on both reasons and that's why mine is gone bye bye. Only Gem amongst many I don't like or should I say didn't like.

I have a whole herd of vintage GEMS including several Damaskenes. But I still wonder why folk like Baili and Weishi haven't issued a GEM clone that retails under $20.00?

If the more expensive modern brands start selling they probably will.

If the more expensive modern brands start selling they probably will.

I have doubts. No truly low priced volume razor maker has come out with an AC blade razor and there is currently only one reasonably priced high quality Schick injector clone I am aware of. The cheap clone makers are interested in volume and minimum cost which is why the cast zinc alloy razors remain so popular. The Gillette 3 piece design is a natural for the cheap production process.

Top Bottom