What's new

New Gem Style SE razor from Above The Tie

The head is over machined primarily to keep the feel more like a DE.
I don't care for the bulky heads. Even with DE I prefer the thinner 3 pieces over the bulky TTO. Since the GEM blades have a larger footprint I don't see the appeal of adding height for more bulk.

I don't care for the bulky heads. Even with DE I prefer the thinner 3 pieces over the bulky TTO. Since the GEM blades have a larger footprint I don't see the appeal of adding height for more bulk.
I agree with you as far as DE goes as I prefer the Gillette New, Old and Tech (and their clones) over the TTO and Merkur/Muhle heads. As far as the new Gem blade razors goes, The Blackland Sabre ad the mystery PAA razor appears to take design elements from the original Gem/ER razors with the wedge style head and slimmer base plate. The Blackland and ATT will come out around the same time so we should get early reports real soon. Hold off on the RX and Brass General for now.

I agree with you as far as DE goes as I prefer the Gillette New, Old and Tech (and their clones) over the TTO and Merkur/Muhle heads. As far as the new Gem blade razors goes, The Blackland Sabre ad the mystery PAA razor appears to take design elements from the original Gem/ER razors with the wedge style head and slimmer base plate. The Blackland and ATT will come out around the same time so we should get early reports real soon. Hold off on the RX and Brass General for now.
In the "modern Gem Razor" forum someone posted a drawing of the Charcoal SE razor. Too bad it wwas said to be an April fools joke. It reminded me of a modern Mall Pall. A great shave with no extra bulk.
gem-jpg.780598

These new GEM razors look great, but I will probably wait for a sub $100 model to become available.

Hopefully the PAA one will go into production quickly.

In the "modern Gem Razor" forum someone posted a drawing of the Charcoal SE razor. Too bad it wwas said to be an April fools joke. It reminded me of a modern Mall Pall. A great shave with no extra bulk.
gem-jpg.780598
AND it is a lather catcher. Even though the mechanism is simple, machining a head like that would be very hard and expensive. Not to say that someone can't get rid of the lather catcher part and just use that blade holder and the live blade as a top cap.

AND it is a lather catcher. Even though the mechanism is simple, machining a head like that would be very hard and expensive. Not to say that someone can't get rid of the lather catcher part and just use that blade holder and the live blade as a top cap.
Les, help me to understand. Why is this a lather catcher? I think it look similar to the Pall Mall. What is the difference?
Also would the Pall Mall be difficult to machine? I'm totally ignorant about this stuff.

proxy.php

Les, help me to understand. Why is this a lather catcher? I think it look similar to the Pall Mall. What is the difference?
Also would the Pall Mall be difficult to machine? I'm totally ignorant about this stuff.

proxy.php
We are talking about the Charcoal Goods one, right? It's a lather catcher because it got that U shaped structure under the base plate which the handle connects to. That catches the lather as it passes below the guard.. One of the strange thing about the Rapide (and your Pall Mall) design is that the lather just passes through beneath the blade. Personally I think your razor would be easier to build than the Charcoal Goods one if it wasn't for the roller guard. When I was in my 3D design class, my project was a razor head for a Weck, and I came up with a similar minimalist design, but couldn't get a 3D print of it to work. It definitely needs machining.

I saw and held the ATT G1 at Big Shave West, and was very impressed. While it doesn't have the ease of the flip up 1912s, the pin is quick and easy. The head angle looked good as did the blade exposure.

They will get my money.

As will PAA when they come out with the aluminum. Thinking it will make a great travel razor.

Stan just put the G1 up on pre order. Coming in more than his usual stainless steel razors, but still below $200. Option to buy head only for $160. Shipping mid June.

After seeing Bob's pic of the PAA, I sent them an email and their response was that the razor was in very early stages of development and so it might take a while. They also did not confirm a price. Of course, because it is aluminum, it won't be $200 like the ATT, but it also might not be $25 either. Right now I am starting to think along the line that my Century razors and my Rapide all don't get enough love and so why pile it on.

The Charcoal Goods reminds me of the Rapide and the CV Heljestrand as far as blade exposure goes. I have multiples of both and IMO they are outstanding shavers with Gem blades installed. I am now up to 4 CV Heljestrand lather catchers, two of which should not exist as per all my tests they are stainless steel cased 7 day sets. The other two are plated brass, one nickel plated and one chrome plated. Visually they are all the same model, the last version CVH lather catcher I presume, though the stainless pair look to have been made with slightly different tooling. I can find nothing on the web regarding the SS versions but will be happy to show them to any one who visits or lives in Reno. No idea how rare they are but even the brass ones seem to be uncommon based on ebay listings. Just contact me.

Should the ATT fit an Icon handle? I have a spare and might give it a try if I can go the head only.
The ATT and Ikons are standard 10-32 posts and so should fit. I believe it is also somewhere on the ATT web site as to what handles are compatible.

Just pre-ordered the Above The Tie G1 head. What an intriguing design! My shave routine currently revolves around Feather AC Pro Super Blades, but I have a stash of close to 100 GEM blades hankering to be used. June will be here before you know it, but can't wait! :winkiss:

Top Bottom