What's new

New DE Shaver

Greetings new friends,

After a couple years of lusting after a DE razor and wanting to take the plunge, my wife bought me a Parker 22R, a Tweezerman Badger brush, Col. Conk soap and chrome stand. Needless to say I am a very lucky man.

Before I used a Mach 3 and Barbasol. Never did get a close shave. I'm quite impressed thus far with the Parker and seem to have gotten the basics down, and get consistently close shaves, for the most part.

The only problem I seem to have is my actual Chin. I do several passes, but I just can't quite get early as close as I can with the rest of my face. Any advice?

The chin is another area that can be tricky. First, I consider the chin area to be from under your lip to close to your neck. With that consideration, the first area can be a problem because often there is an inversion there. You may want to use your tongue to puff out that area or take your lower lip and wrap it around your teeth. This will smooth out the area and make it easier to shave. The second area is the point of the chin. To get a BBS shave there I take very small strokes on each pass being careful not to put ANY pressure on the blade.

Hope this helps. And welcome to B&B.

I am a newbie as well and was struggling with the chin area for a while. Last weekend i prep my face with hot towel and then i lifted my face up so my i could see the chin area better. then, while stretching the skin (very important), i did a few short strokes and that seem to help a lot !!

so, dont give up as this was my area of problem too.

Welcome to B&B!

Try some facial contortions and gentle skin stretching. Blade buffing might help too. Mantic's advanced shaving video demonstrates that.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Practice, that's pretty much the only advice, don't worry too much, it will get closer!

Hi, I use to struggle with this too. I do a couple of things in different passes.
1. The first pass is usually done with almost no pressure whatsoever. This leaves my chin looking pretty much like a 5 o'clock shade.
2. The next pass (sometimes right after step 1), I use a buffing movement XTG
3. The next pass (usually 2nd pass on the face) I go with little to no pressure ATG.
4. Lastly, buff it ATG while stretching the area with my fingers.
5. If needed I will pass a finger as if shaving with it, with the DE trailing the finger to get a closer shave... (although is mostly not needed).

Hope this helps.

welcome! I had this problem early on, I think a lot of guys probably did, especially those of us with a cleft chin. I have just kept practising, it's hard to put into precise words how it works I mean you can talk about blade angle and stuff but really you just need to get the feel of your chin

Top Bottom