What's new

NEW CLUB - Vintage Gillette Razor Fan Club “VGRFC”

Never have seen that myself... @Breen , is it stamped in or embroidered? Idk if that's the correct handle for that case... Old Type's were in the newer, thicker cases with the silk lid liner and stamped logo.
View attachment 1783121
View attachment 1783122
The older abc sets had a solid brass, smooth ball end handle. I may be mistaken, but I think they were made in Canada.
View attachment 1783123

The $5 is stamped as best I can tell.

Here’s a few shots to compare dimensions.

The $5 stamped case is taller than the older ABCs.

Here’s my 1909 gunmetal basket weave for comparison.
1706964493642.jpeg

1706964516808.jpeg

Also, here’s the $5 stamped case next to some stacked gold plated pocket editions at the back. Those are the taller, later ones, and they’re the same height.

Would this still be a mismatch?

Do you think someone may have swapped out the lid liner with an incorrect one?

1706964558196.jpeg

Last edited:
I suppose I should post when I use one of these wonderful razors. Today I had the pleasure of using this setup.

NEW #44, aka RFB.
Suneko Amorphous Diamond Super Stainless
Captain's Choice Copper Lather Bowl
Rudy Vey Omega Premium Jade Boar
Ethos Mandarino Fumo
Captain's Choice Sandalwood
IMG_6522.jpg

A lovely shave today!

NEW #44, aka RFB.
Suneko Amorphous Diamond Super Stainless
Captain's Choice Ceramic Lather Bowl
Rudy Vey Omega Premium Jade Boar
MdC Fougere
Captain's Choice Sandalwood
IMG_6538.jpg

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Howdy, Vintage Gillette fans,

I just picked this beautiful razor up and I hope someone can help me ID it.

It was advertised as a “1944-1946 Aristocrat,” but I don’t think the Aristocrat was made in 1944-1945. Anyway, it has been fully revamped and plated and looks fantastic to me.

So, what is it?

IMG_5202.jpeg
IMG_5203.jpeg
IMG_5204.jpeg
IMG_5205.jpeg

It was advertised as a “1944-1946 Aristocrat,” but I don’t think the Aristocrat was made in 1944-1945. Anyway, it has been fully revamped and plated and looks fantastic to me.

So, what is it?

View attachment 1818737View attachment 1818738View attachment 1818739View attachment 1818740
It can be an Aristocrat yes. These were made during that period. Or it’s a Regent Tech - looks similar. Most were gold plated by the way. You can find all the Aristocrats here:

Very nice catch!! Enjoy! They shave amazingly! (Well my English Aristocrat at least does).

So, what is it?

View attachment 1818737View attachment 1818738View attachment 1818739View attachment 1818740
Based on the knurling, this is an Aristocrat from 1948 or later. Before 1948, the knurling adjacent to the head was smooth like the knurling adjacent to the TTO knob (like yours).

The second photo shows a notched T-bar and you have end caps, which is also consistent with 1948+. The second photo also seems to obscure the embossed label on the blade tray that should read "PAT. NOS. ON" -- "PACKAGE," which appeared in 1941 and 1946+. Sometime during 1950, the text changed to "PAT. NOS." -- "ON PKG." The second photo also shows a smooth joint between the body of the handle and the blade tray rather than a "crimped" one, which was done during 1951.

So, I would date your Aristocrat at 1948-49. I've got a 1948-49 like this one and a 1951 in my collection. By the way, the first solid bar Aristocrat was made in 1941 (I've got one of those too ;) ). I also have 1945 Aristocrat (endcaps, smooth blade tray, no labeling, no notches on the T-bar) and a 1946 Aristocrat (I'm something of an Aristocrat fan).

Where has this club been?

My regular rotation includes a 3 piece Old Type, a pre-war Tech, a post-war Tech, a ‘66 Slim, a ‘73 SuperSpeed and a ‘78 SuperAdjustable 109. All shave fantastically, of course.

Based on the knurling, this is an Aristocrat from 1948 or later. Before 1948, the knurling adjacent to the head was smooth like the knurling adjacent to the TTO knob (like yours).

The second photo shows a notched T-bar and you have end caps, which is also consistent with 1948+. The second photo also seems to obscure the embossed label on the blade tray that should read "PAT. NOS. ON" -- "PACKAGE," which appeared in 1941 and 1946+. Sometime during 1950, the text changed to "PAT. NOS." -- "ON PKG." The second photo also shows a smooth joint between the body of the handle and the blade tray rather than a "crimped" one, which was done during 1951.

So, I would date your Aristocrat at 1948-49. I've got a 1948-49 like this one and a 1951 in my collection. By the way, the first solid bar Aristocrat was made in 1941 (I've got one of those too ;) ). I also have 1945 Aristocrat (endcaps, smooth blade tray, no labeling, no notches on the T-bar) and a 1946 Aristocrat (I'm something of an Aristocrat fan).

Great detective work! 🔍

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
It can be an Aristocrat yes. These were made during that period. Or it’s a Regent Tech - looks similar. Most were gold plated by the way. You can find all the Aristocrats here:

Very nice catch!! Enjoy! They shave amazingly! (Well my English Aristocrat at least does).
Maybe

Thanks much for the detailed information!

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto

Sorry, my first reply was truncated.

So, I’m sending it to Chris at Back Roads to get it gold plated. Pretty excited. I’ll keep my 1951 W1 Siuper Speed mirror nickle as it is. I think that was the standard for those razors.

Or it’s a Regent Tech
I don't think it's a Regent Tech because those don't have end caps and the knurling is wrong next to the head. I thought I had one, but it turned out to be a 1945 Aristocrat (mine has end caps, but no notches, smooth knurling, AND no patent notice on the blade tray). The end caps eliminate it as a Regent Tech. But the lack of a patent notice makes it likely 1945 (like a Regent Tech).

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I don't think it's a Regent Tech because those don't have end caps and the knurling is wrong next to the head. I thought I had one, but it turned out to be a 1945 Aristocrat (mine has end caps, but no notches, smooth knurling, AND no patent notice on the blade tray). The end caps eliminate it as a Regent Tech. But the lack of a patent notice makes it likely 1945 (like a Regent Tech).
There is a patent notice, it jut didn't show up in the pic.

Top Bottom