What's new

Fans Of the Ranger Tech- FORT

"The original 1947 Super Speed has the same center bar as the Ranger Tech"

That is interesting. I was under the impression that it was called a Super Speed because of the notched center bar which, in conjunction with the dispenser made blade changing Super Fast.

So to be clear the 47 SS was introduced in July of 1947 and previously there was a "no notch" version?

My boxed 47 is notched.

So what do we call an early 47 razor? Super Speed or Ranger Tech/Milord.

The early 47 razor is a Super Speed.
The first two changes from the Ranger style to Super Speed style,
were the handle and the base plate.

Thanks everyone for joining in.
Yes, I didn't intend to exclude the 46 RT since the Super Speed name didn't appear until 1947 with the advent of the notched center bar. The 1947 received the creased baseplate and the smooth collar was now knurled.

I have a cased 46 Milord. The smooth collar near the knob remains but the patent info moves to the base plate top. And of course the end caps were added.

I also have a 1947 Super Speed in an incomplete case. All great razors.

The creased base plate is interesting to me. What is its purpose and how is it an improvement.

I had some issues with my 1941 with bad stampings (protruding up) at the end of the lather slots which caused the blade to be clamped poorly. It shave poorly when I first got it but after doing a little work on it, the shave improved a great deal. Oddly, it had been that way since new. The creases go straight through this area and may have resolved any issues like the one I had.

According to mr-razors wonderful site, there is evidence that a 1940 Milord exists. Did the RT get introduced at the same time or was the Milord the first.
A small add is attached to his listing but I don't see a date on the ad. Maybe the blades in the pic can be dated to 1940 but that may not be conclusive.

Dirty

I can't wait to see that razor in Rhodium RRGGMM.

View attachment 1789835
I have never seen these cases before, pretty nice! I have a couple of later model Milords plus the Milord Rocket, produced in 1949. They all seem to shave the same, but I prefer my 41 and 46 Ranger Tech shaves. I believe the 46/47 Aristocrat has a head similar to the 46 RT. Great razors IMO.

That is interesting. I was under the impression that it was called a Super Speed because of the notched center bar which, in conjunction with the dispenser made blade changing Super Fast.

So to be clear the 47 SS was introduced in July of 1947 and previously there was a "no notch" version?

My boxed 47 is notched.

Maybe it is the Aristocrat Junior, with a smooth collar at the top of the knurling. Not real sure, I do have one, and it has the same head as my 46 Ranger.

My Ranger is off being replated, but I purchased a backup because of issues some members have had with the company I chose. The backup arrived today, and it is in fantastic condition! There are a couple of scuffs on the top of the doors that are difficult to see since the razor is so shiny. I considered having Back Roads Gold replate Ranger #2, but it looks so great that it seems pointless. Once I get Ranger #1 back from replating I will A/B shave with them to see if the performance is equal. Assuming everything is on par, I feel like I should release Ranger #2 to a B&B member to appreciate. It doesn't make sense to have two identical razors. Good problems to have!
IMG_4655.jpg
IMG_4656.jpg
IMG_4657.jpg

My boxed 47 is notched.

I think in 47 there were two variants of this razor, as well as maybe the Aristocrat Junior. Gillette is pretty tight lipped about all of this so it seems we have to guess about some of this. One theory is Gillette used up old stock parts before introducing the new ones. I have the 47 Aristocrat Junior (same exact head as the 46 Ranger Tech) and the 47 Super Speed, the center piece is the same but the base plates are different.

Very nice. I'm sure you are more than a little anxious to get those in the mail.

I like the little extra bling on the RT. Do you know if he removes the knob to do the plating?

Congrats!

Dirty

I think in 47 there were two variants of this razor, as well as maybe the Aristocrat Junior. Gillette is pretty tight lipped about all of this so it seems we have to guess about some of this. One theory is Gillette used up old stock parts before introducing the new ones. I have the 47 Aristocrat Junior (same exact head as the 46 Ranger Tech) and the 47 Super Speed, the center piece is the same but the base plates are different.
From what I’ve seen there’s the no notch or crease ranger head, then the ”no notch” doors with the creased baseplate, and finally the notched/creased/superspeed head.

I‘ve seen pictures or held first hand aristocrats and superspeeds with each variant of the head. With the USA aristocrat junior I‘ve only seen them with the creased baseplate and no notch head.

With the USA aristocrat junior I‘ve only seen them with the creased baseplate and no notch head.
Time to correct myself, evidently the USA aristocrat junior could be had with the Ranger head, seems pretty rare.

Top Bottom