What's new

NEW CLUB - Vintage Gillette Razor Fan Club “VGRFC”

The time has come for those of us who admire, collect and regularly use vintage Gillette DE razors to join together in a new club to celebrate those marvellous wonders of engineering that changed the shaving world forever-- the vintage Gillette DE razor. In this club "vintage" simply means from the time Gillette started making DE razors until the time they stopped, i.e. anything before Gillette carts.

Membership requirements are simple: you must own at least one vintage Gillette DE razor and share an undying admiration for these wonderful shaving tools.

For those of us who choose to shave with a true legend, a vintage Gillette DE razor, you have come to the right place to share pictures of your collection, wax on eloquently about your favourite Gillette DE razor or tell your favourite story about your best antique store find. Tell us about your first shave with a Gillette (maybe it was a gift from a special someone). Talk about that heirloom vintage Gillette that belonged to your Dad or Grandpa (or Grandma) that is now your beloved daily razor.

Maybe you have a serious love triangle thing happening and can't choose your favourite DE among your Aristocrat, your Fat Boy and your Heavy Tech. Tell us your troubles and we can weigh in and offer advice. You are among friends here at the clubhouse.

What was the first vintage Gillette DE to be displayed on your shave den shelf? Share your reasons for choosing a vintage Gillette over a newer razor as your daily go-to razor. Maybe your vintage Gillette DE has a special story to tell!

Now I ask you, where would the traditional wet shavers of the world be without the beloved vintage Gillette DE razor?

And should you decide to join this club of merry men (and women) you may proudly hold your clean shaven chin up high and add 'VGRFC' to your signature line! Come one, come all to the VGRFC!

Rusty Blade

VGRFC

Last edited:
Hmmmm…looks like I may need to prime the pump to get the recruitment drive going.

I have been wet shaving since mid-1970s and have been shaving DE for the past few months. My first razor was a Parker 99R…a fine razor. But then one day I found a Gillette Travel Tech and a near mint condition Canadian Heavy Tech in an antique store. I thought that was pretty neat. It had not occurred to me these old razors were still around and still usable.

I started shaving with the Heavy Tech (my son took possession of the Travel Tech) and found it was an excellent mild razor. The more I read on the forums the more I realized there was treasure of vintage razors to be found in the wild. This was the beginning of my love for the Gillette DE. Since that time I have found many others…a few with great stories to tell. (For later posts).

I still use my Heavy Tech as my daily choice and have several more Gillette DEs in my collection that I enjoy using from time to time. These are amazing tools, so well designed and well made. I don’t see myself using my “new” razors anymore…they just seem to lack a certain little extra magic, that little bit of history that the old ones have.

I don’t claim to have a serious RAD, but when I am in the vicinity of an antique store I do feel my palms starting to itch.

Rusty Blade

VGRFC

Back on B&B after a long hiatus. :001_smile

Anyhow, my first Gillette DE was a 40s Aristocrat from a vintage store in Richmond, VA. It has since been joined (in order of acquisition), a Slim, a beautiful cooncatbob amboyna burl handle topped with a NEW long comb, and a 47-48 SS. I have absolutely no modern DEs - only vintage Gillettes. Love em!

My NEW LC is my favorite and comes closest to being my daily shaver, but I used the Slim the last 2 days and the SS for the week prior to that.

Back on B&B after a long hiatus. :001_smile

Anyhow, my first Gillette DE was a 40s Aristocrat from a vintage store in Richmond, VA. It has since been joined (in order of acquisition), a Slim, a beautiful cooncatbob amboyna burl handle topped with a NEW long comb, and a 47-48 SS. I have absolutely no modern DEs - only vintage Gillettes. Love em!

My NEW LC is my favorite and comes closest to being my daily shaver, but I used the Slim the last 2 days and the SS for the week prior to that.
Welcome! Sounds like a nice collection of razors. I find the hard part of having several great razors is finding the time to give each one some shaving time.

I started with a vintage British Gillette Rocket, since then my vintage collection of DE and SE razors has gown considerably.
Many Old and New styles, two adjustable's, some Tech's, Supespeeds, Aristocrats, GEM, EverReady and Schick.
I have only one modern razor which is used for travel. No need to risk a vintage razor.

Well needed club. Vintage Gillettes are outstanding razors and deserve to be recognized. I have two Rockets, they are great razors. I have one that was NOS. Several open combs, several Techs.

I started with a vintage British Gillette Rocket, since then my vintage collection of DE and SE razors has gown considerably.
Many Old and New styles, two adjustable's, some Tech's, Supespeeds, Aristocrats, GEM, EverReady and Schick.
I have only one modern razor which is used for travel. No need to risk a vintage razor.
Welcome! Funny you should say, "no need to risk a vintage razor". I am the same, except when I travel I have an extra Heavy Tech that I carry in my briefcase (blades are in my checked luggage). This way I keep it close and don't worry about it being misplaced, or stolen. I would not take any of my special vintage Gillette razors with me on my travels.

Well needed club. Vintage Gillettes are outstanding razors and deserve to be recognized. I have two Rockets, they are great razors. I have one that was NOS. Several open combs, several Techs.
Welcome, and yes, this club seems to fill a gap in the list of clubs and brotherhoods. I also have a Flare Tip Rocket (S stamped, Made in England) and I like it very much. Feels great in my hand. Shines like a disco ball. Can't seem to find anyone who knows the significance of the "S" stamp. Any ideas?
$Flare Tip 1.jpg

I have a 1940's gold Gillette Tech, a 1930's/40 Gillette New LC on a Tech fat handle, a 1965 Gillette Travel Tech, a 1966 Gillette Slim, and a 1961 Gillette Fatboy. Do I qualify for the club?

I started with a Merkur 23c. After I started getting bloodless (not good, just bloodless) shaves with that I developed a little RAD. I found a Slim in great shape for a fair price. Still new to this, the "new" razor gave me a poor shave, and I was advised by the good folks here to spend weeks or months on my technique with ONE setup. The Slim became my head shaver and I worked my mug daily with the Merkur. Soon I found a decent 40s Super Speed, a birth-quarter Super Speed, and a 46-50 ball-end Tech. And they waited for me to get good enough that I felt worthy of them. So then...

My first shave with the Super Speed was irritation free and BBS. I PIF'd the Merkur and only use the vintage Gillettes now. I don't have RAD bad, but I love my little harem.

I have 26 vintage Gillettes, ranging from a 1909 single ring to a 1963 Slim. My most prized items are a 1948 British Aristocrat #16 and a 1921 Big Fellow. I desperately want a 1949-50 Executive.

Confession: I don't care to shave much with TTO razors. Just not my thing. I prefer the 1920s and 1930s models. My favorite vintage Gillette to shave with is a 1921 New Standard -- close and comfortable every time, and I love the Art Deco handle.

Very proud owner of many Gillette DE razors. Lets see I have about 10 as of right now. Although that will change. So I guess that means that I am no a member.

I started DE shaving earlier this summer with a Slim. Since then I've acquired a few Aristocrats, a few News, and I have a British Fat Handle Tech that should appear tomorrow.

I will admit to an early dalliance with a Maggard's OC, but I've returned to the fold and the OC is sitting in my to-be-PIF'd pile.

I'm surprised it's taken this long for a club like this to be formed!

I have a 1940's gold Gillette Tech, a 1930's/40 Gillette New LC on a Tech fat handle, a 1965 Gillette Travel Tech, a 1966 Gillette Slim, and a 1961 Gillette Fatboy. Do I qualify for the club?
Absolutely! You have a nice collection. Some pics would be nice. Do you have a favourite among that list?

I started with a Merkur 23c. After I started getting bloodless (not good, just bloodless) shaves with that I developed a little RAD. I found a Slim in great shape for a fair price. Still new to this, the "new" razor gave me a poor shave, and I was advised by the good folks here to spend weeks or months on my technique with ONE setup. The Slim became my head shaver and I worked my mug daily with the Merkur. Soon I found a decent 40s Super Speed, a birth-quarter Super Speed, and a 46-50 ball-end Tech. And they waited for me to get good enough that I felt worthy of them. So then...

My first shave with the Super Speed was irritation free and BBS. I PIF'd the Merkur and only use the vintage Gillettes now. I don't have RAD bad, but I love my little harem.
Welcome! My best shaves have been with a Gillette. I should PIF my "new" razors as well...I will never use them again.

My current inventory of vintage Gillettes;
- NEW LC
- NEW SC
- Tech
- SuperSpeed
- Fat Boy
- Slim

I've had the Slim the longest and it has decades of use by me, but the SC NEW is my current daily driver and for me provides the best shaves of the bunch.

Top Bottom