What's new

New camera shopping, advice?

One of my businesses is a camera store, so I can shoot anything I want. Having tried most kinds of cameras, I have a few favorites.

The camera I carry most often is a Fuji X100T. It can be used like a point-and-shoot digital camera, or it can be used as a full manual camera. It's best attribute is image quality, it always amazes me. I also like it because it is entirely made in Japan, not outsourced to Taiwan like Canon, Thailand, like Nikon, or China, like everyone else. For point and shoot use, set the shutter and aperture dials to A, and use the LCD in the back. For manual use, set the dials where you like, and use the viewfinder. The X100T has wifi, so you can easily transfer photos to your phone or computer, and Fuji makes a compact rechargeable wifi printer that uses Instax instant film, you can make prints anywhere, any time. My daughter loves the instant prints.

A less expensive option is the Lumix LX-7, also made in Japan. I like that it powers up quickly, focuses fast, and has superb IQ. I got one for my wife, and she carries it everywhere in her bag. It also does decent video.

My own Pocket camera is a Ricoh GR. Though a Chinese made camera, it offers great IQ quality for it's size.

One of my businesses is a camera store, so I can shoot anything I want. Having tried most kinds of cameras, I have a few favorites.

The camera I carry most often is a Fuji X100T. It can be used like a point-and-shoot digital camera, or it can be used as a full manual camera. It's best attribute is image quality, it always amazes me. I also like it because it is entirely made in Japan, not outsourced to Taiwan like Canon, Thailand, like Nikon, or China, like everyone else. For point and shoot use, set the shutter and aperture dials to A, and use the LCD in the back. For manual use, set the dials where you like, and use the viewfinder. The X100T has wifi, so you can easily transfer photos to your phone or computer, and Fuji makes a compact rechargeable wifi printer that uses Instax instant film, you can make prints anywhere, any time. My daughter loves the instant prints.

A less expensive option is the Lumix LX-7, also made in Japan. I like that it powers up quickly, focuses fast, and has superb IQ. I got one for my wife, and she carries it everywhere in her bag. It also does decent video.

My own Pocket camera is a Ricoh GR. Though a Chinese made camera, it offers great IQ quality for it's size.
Thanks!

right now I am down to being torn between the Sony RX10-II and the RX-100-IV; I think I need to stick with something with fairly decent zoom and something that has a fast lens so that low light shooting is improved. Both of these meet that expectation and the RX-10 has some weather sealing that put it up over the lumix that is similar (fz-1000) in my book, plus the continuous 2.8 lens.

I also was looking at the Olympus micro 4/3 systems (like the PEN-5, waiting on the Adorama deal to come by again, nice kit for only $399), but thats a bigger investment $$-wise if I want a nice fast lens variety, i'd have to go w primes as the zooms are a little "slow", but could get away with two overlapping zooms if need be.

you can actually get away with one lens, in the case of Nikons, the 18-200 for APS-C Sensor cameras and the 28-300 for full frame sensors. so you can get the one lens, the DSLR, and if you waned to, a mirrorless option like the Nikon -1 which with an adapter, will allow you to use the DSLR lenses.

Top Bottom