What's new

New camera shopping, advice?

The wife and I are in the market for a new camera; 12 years or so we bought a Pentax istDS SLR, and were very happy with it, but as time grew and we travelled with our child, bringing along the DSLR kit became cumbersome and the wife did not like changing lenses for each shot.

So a few years back I bought a Canon S95 P&S; figuring we would be more apt to bring it around with us, given its pocketablity; This held true and I love the little guy, but my wife doesn't. I like that it has some manual functions and allows me to be creative to a point (even though I only think I know what I am doing...always dreamed of taking good shots!)

So she has tasked me with looking for "something else". Seems like the world of digital cameras has changed a bit and there are lots of new options and some new terms I am not quite familiar with (micro 4/3, CMOS, etc)

Since primarily we will be using for travel both afar and local and for family events, we need something versatile.

I came across a class called "bridge cameras" another term that is new to me. The two that caught my eye were the Panasonic Lumix FZ-1000 and the Sony RX10 (i and ii); Both have the advantage of being able to shoot 4k video (something, video that is, that I don't do much of), but I love the fact they have built in wide-zoom lenses with great telephoto reach, the FZ-1000 to 400mm, and neither are slouches when it comes to aperture, tho the Sony takes that one with 2.8 throughout the range of the zoom.

Is there another "system" I should look at? especially given I don't shoot video? Or are the above the best for a creative one like me and a picture snapper like my wife, who just likes to take good pics (and often does without trying!!)

We need to use our phones for phones, and finally get back to a real camera. Help!

Legion

Staff member
Both the FZ1000 and the RX10 are very good cameras, and have good (probably the same) 20mp 1" sensors. I thought the RX10 was only full HD, rather than 4k, but I could be wrong. You won't go wrong with either, providing you are happy to carry their bulk.

If you want a smaller camera with the same quality there are various options, but you will sacrifice the zoom.

You sound like you have done your homework, and know all this already.

FWIW, I would probably go for the sony. Personally, I favour the faster, fixed aperture over the extra zoom length. But both are amazing cameras for what is basically a compact.

Both the FZ1000 and the RX10 are very good cameras, and have good (probably the same) 20mp 1" sensors. I thought the RX10 was only full HD, rather than 4k, but I could be wrong.
You are not wrong, the RX10 is full HD the RX10 MarK II (ii? 2?) added the 4k support;

I tend to agree with you about the continuous fast lens, but here is the issues that separate the cameras for me..

1. Sony is built better, more solid body metal and plastic where the Panasonic, all plastic
2. Panasonic has no weatherproofing or dust proofing in the seals
3. Sony's price is $500 more (as the Mark2) and $150-200 (as the Mark1, without the 4k support)

I was hoping someone would know another "system" to compare these two to, that, with two interchangable lenses max, would be comparable, that say has no or limited video support but is fantastic for stills.

Or is video support going to be something everything has these days?

Legion

Staff member
The only way you will improve your picture over those cameras is by increasing sensor size ( and removing the AA filter). To keep the fast aperture, and zoom range, you will have a much bigger (and more expensive) kit.

Next step up is micro 4/3. The Panasonic GX8 is nice.

Or go Aps-c. Fuji.

I have several Pentax DSLR cameras, of which the DS is the oldest and smallest. A couple of years ago I took it on a trip, with one lens (36mm) and used it like a film/pocket camera; a bit large for that but not bad. Last year I got a Fuji X100T to use as carry/travel camera and have been very pleased with it. I like the ergonomics and the files that it produces. Once you get used to it, the pictures are razor sharp and the color rendering is beautiful; it also has different film emulations. This is a camera that you need to handle before buying. You should also look at smoe of the other Fuji cameras.

Believe the latest iteration of the Panasonic GH has 4k recording with micro 4/3rd lens mount. Sony's 4k is limited to A7s/Ar/A7r2 currently, but the rumoured A6100 may well have it with an expected announcement at CES I think.

Almost everything has video these days and you might find it useful once in a while after you get used to having it. I'm not that familiar with the cameras you mentioned but sounds like you've done your homework. They seem like solid choices for what you want. The only thing that I saw that would put me off of them is low light performance. The reviews I saw said after ISO 800, the performance falls off a bit with these sensors. I take a lot of pics in fairly low light and lots of the APS-C sensors these days are good for at least a couple more stops (ISO 3200 or even better).

My opinion only - I think you could do better with a Nikon or Canon DSLR and 2 zoom lenses. It would be cheaper to start and you'd also have the option of adding more lenses like primes if you ever want. I haven't seen the Sony or Panasonic for myself but they look almost as bulky as the small entry level Nikon DSLRs from the pics.

Someone mentioned the X100T earlier and I got one of those a while back. I don't think there could be a better family picture taker out there. I'm very happy with mine. No zoom, no interchangeable lenses, but takes great pics on auto and allows you full manual controls mostly like an old film camera. I think it's a great choice for a travel and family camera but if you've gotta have a long zoom lens, some of Fujis other cameras have wonderful quality interchangeable lenses.

I have a Canon PowerShot S110--very nice camera with okay zoom, RAW/jpeg output, 12 megapixel, but probably not the kind you're looking for. I think later models have lens options, though.

Last edited:
I know that Canon and others are putting out "mirrorless DSLRs". But I have no experience with them. They are supposed to have all of the benefits of a full DSLR, but using a video viewfinder instead of mirror/prism. They are smaller and lighter...but as expandable as a DSLR. They are also marketing smaller lenses, but they still use the full array of lenses available. Again, I've never used it. Hope this helps.

My opinion only - I think you could do better with a Nikon or Canon DSLR and 2 zoom lenses. It would be cheaper to start and you'd also have the option of adding more lenses like primes if you ever want. I haven't seen the Sony or Panasonic for myself but they look almost as bulky as the small entry level Nikon DSLRs from the pics.

Someone mentioned the X100T earlier and I got one of those a while back. I don't think there could be a better family picture taker out there. I'm very happy with mine. No zoom, no interchangeable lenses, but takes great pics on auto and allows you full manual controls mostly like an old film camera. I think it's a great choice for a travel and family camera but if you've gotta have a long zoom lens, some of Fujis other cameras have wonderful quality interchangeable lenses.

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-D3200-vs-Sony-Alpha-a6000

The A6000 is a fair degree smaller. With lens, it's not massively smaller, but the comparison does knock out more benefits than just size. I believe the Canon 1200D is smaller than the D3200, but has a smaller feature set.

Wow. Lots of great advice and options to consider. Canon, at the start of CES in LV just announced two new Cameras. Maybe I will hold in and see what gets released. Maybe there will be some price drops in the "older" models.

I really need to go put these cameras in my hand and get a good feel for them. Only so much you can do with online reviews, right?

Legion

Staff member
Wow. Lots of great advice and options to consider. Canon, at the start of CES in LV just announced two new Cameras. Maybe I will hold in and see what gets released. Maybe there will be some price drops in the "older" models.

I really need to go put these cameras in my hand and get a good feel for them. Only so much you can do with online reviews, right?

Yep, go support your local B+M camera store. They will be able to show you a range of products, and will probably cut you a deal on any accessories you might need when you buy them with the camera.

When I think of travel and family get-togethers I think more about taking snapshots rather than professional quality images. As such I might consider one of the high end smartphones from Apple, Samsung, etc. These cameras are pretty decent and will always be with you. Also makes it easy to share on social media and backup to the cloud.

You didn't mention why your wife did not like the other camera. Would that help to be sure you don't run into the same problem with these other suggestions?

I grew up with a B&W darkroom in the basement, multiple SLR bodies and lenses and have never owned a cell phone.

You said you wanted your phone for a phone... for Christmas i received the newest ipod touch, suppose to be almost the iphone camera without phone business. I've been having a blast with it and a couple photo apps. Has totally rekindled my love affair with photography. Pure fun and shocking picture quality!

dave

You didn't mention why your wife did not like the other camera. Would that help to be sure you don't run into the same problem with these other suggestions?

With the SLR, she didn't really like changing lenses, but thought the picture quality even at then max 5mp, was great. I had good glass on that camera. (Still do). I have one of Pentax's pancake lenses (21mm) which makes it nice to carry. I could invest in their other pancakes, a 70 and 40mm, purchased used at KEH, for less than a new camera but then I stay at 5mp. It has an APS-c sensor I think. And the wife has to swap lenses and the max zoom (without my feet) is limited. She also likes to zoom when traveling or shooting my daughters sports.

Our point and shoot Canon she doesn't like because she feels the "auto" settings and flash settings "never come out right". She doesn't like fussing w controls like I do and the menu is a bit something to get used to. She doesn't like the way the colors look.(??). The zoom is also limited. It's also not the fastest or great in low light.

Not sure "goldilocks" is going to get her perfect camera. But at least w the bridge cameras and the larger "pro" P&S I can at least get an external flash to improve flash shooting

FYI Panasonic announced a few new P&S at CES. I will wait for the reviews on those. They are super zooms but compact c/w the fz1000.

Just to throw some more options out for you. These are P&S so no lens changing.

I saw the Sony R10 mentioned but the Sony RX100 II gets some good reviews as well. In some ways the 10 has a better lens, but the r100 has better results at higher ISO from samples I have seen. Something to look into reviews on.

I know she did not like the Canon, but I have friends that have religiously used the Canon G series cameras as they travel (They tried others, but always went back to them). They had some very good results with some of their photos. The G5 has good reviews and some options that may meet both your needs. It is a different series than the one you had so might be a different option in terms of controls and image color results.

Two other cameras that may offer fun with long zooms (I don't use P&S cameras but depending on your needs might be fun to play with) Canon SX540 HS and the Nikon P610. Both are long zoom lenses, but one of each company so you can see how the controls are different and how they handle their color settings on auto.

At least something to think on.

Top Bottom