What's new

Need Pipe Tobbacco Suggestions

Try Mick McQuaid plug or square cut (in tin).

Plug is just a big square block of 50g that you need to cut/rub before you smoke it. I simply peel them off from the side rub it a bit then leave it to air for 5 mins before I smoke it. Very nice and does not burn.

:thumbup1:

Both those toabaccos are absolutely wonderful, but in no way aromatic!
I smoked Holland House for a few years myself, but rather than smoking food additives for your wife's benefit, I think you should try some milder tobacco-based tobaccos. I'd give McBaren's Navy Flake or McConnell's Scottish Cake a try. These are really, really nice, full of flavour, with no bitterness and are easy to manage. I think if you try Scottish Cake in particular, you'll be amazed at how complex, rich and pleasant real tobacco can be. Scottish Flake is a tiny bit stronger and more assertive, but get that if you can't get the cake.

*Update

I placed an order for some Escudo and Autumn evening last night after a friend introduced them to me with a sampler. Unfortunately now all my my drug store stuff mainly tastes like crap to me now. Boy that was a quick transition!

That's what happens. Being aromatic doesn't have to mean swimming in pg and flavored syrup. It can be done more subtly to accent good leaf rather than mask crappy leaf. They will still leave a ghost your in your briars though, so you might want to buy a few corncobs for your "experimental phase."

Right now I'm exploring the mind-boggling range of McClelland tobaccos -- so everything below is McClelland brand. Also, I tend to gravitate toward the orientals.

One inexpensive aromatic I like is Bulk 2050 - aka Oriental Cavendish. It's sweet and nutty and good as a desert smoke.

For a mild, light, very slightly cased Virginia I like Deep Hollow. Great smoke for a walk.

Their Grand Orientals series was a revelation - tobacco can be sweet, spicy, nutty, creamy all on it's own without any additives. My favorite in this series is Classic Samsun.

And of course, the Frog Morton series is a great way to dip a toe in the world of Latakia without going full-on English. Naturally I'm partial to Across the Pond.

Go wild and have fun.

Try some of the lighter flavored aromatics at Iwan Ries...I have mail ordered from them many times and most of their stuff is very good quality.

so I just bought my first pipe from user drewmac. I'm an occasional cigar smoker and am looking to throw a pipe into it, particularly with aromatic tobacco since it'll mean the wife won't run away. There' plenty of suggestions on this thread, but no suggested online vendors. Should I be able to find Scotty's Butternut Burley or C&D Autumn Evening at my local cigar shop?

so I just bought my first pipe from user drewmac. I'm an occasional cigar smoker and am looking to throw a pipe into it, particularly with aromatic tobacco since it'll mean the wife won't run away. There' plenty of suggestions on this thread, but no suggested online vendors. Should I be able to find Scotty's Butternut Burley or C&D Autumn Evening at my local cigar shop?

pipesandcigars.com seems to have some good prices based on my own quick searches.

Autumn Evening is a must, btw.
As a cigar smoker, you may also like (non aromatic, but not stinky) Key Largo and/or Purple Cow.

The Butternut Burley is a private blend exclusive to Pipes and Cigars.com, C&D is widely distributed so if your local shop caries the brand they may have it. Pipes and Cigars has a pretty wide selection so if you're in the market for BB you can get other choices as well. If you smoke full cigars on a regular basis some aromatics may seem overly mild to you but the two you've suggested are well received and do provide a pleasant room note as well as decent flavor. Personally I don't go for the cigar leaf blends because I would rather smoke a cigar for that flavor profile. A good satisfying unscented tobacco that has a pleasant room note is Peterson's Irish oak. It's a solid medium bodied smoke that is easy to pack and light, good flavor without being overly strong or heavy yet is still satisfying.

The Butternut Burley is a private blend exclusive to Pipes and Cigars.com, C&D is widely distributed so if your local shop caries the brand they may have it. Pipes and Cigars has a pretty wide selection so if you're in the market for BB you can get other choices as well. If you smoke full cigars on a regular basis some aromatics may seem overly mild to you but the two you've suggested are well received and do provide a pleasant room note as well as decent flavor. Personally I don't go for the cigar leaf blends because I would rather smoke a cigar for that flavor profile. A good satisfying unscented tobacco that has a pleasant room note is Peterson's Irish oak. It's a solid medium bodied smoke that is easy to pack and light, good flavor without being overly strong or heavy yet is still satisfying.

Agreed that cigar tobaccos are not as satisfying as the real deal, but they also don't stink up a room the same as a real cigar either. When ya gotta smoke indoors and ya want a cigar....

That's good, I was wondering what else I should look at. I'll grab an Irish Oak then. I'm thinking one aromatic, one cigar-like for transitioning and one "standard". I don't smoke THAT often so 3 tins would probably last me.

Agreed that cigar tobaccos are not as satisfying as the real deal, but they also don't stink up a room the same as a real cigar either. When ya gotta smoke indoors and ya want a cigar....
So this brings up a question. How strong is the scent it leaves in a room? I used to smoke Drew Estates ACID Juicy Lucy which is an aromatic cigar and that was the only one my wife wouldn't run away from while outside. How comparable is the scent distribution/strength to, say, a stick of incense?

That's good, I was wondering what else I should look at. I'll grab an Irish Oak then. I'm thinking one aromatic, one cigar-like for transitioning and one "standard". I don't smoke THAT often so 3 tins would probably last me.

So this brings up a question. How strong is the scent it leaves in a room? I used to smoke Drew Estates ACID Juicy Lucy which is an aromatic cigar and that was the only one my wife wouldn't run away from while outside. How comparable is the scent distribution/strength to, say, a stick of incense?

Hmmm... cigar tobacco leaves definitely less "stank" then your standard cigar. I run an ionic air purifier and burn (a very nice) cinnamon-sandalwood incense while smoking, so I might not be the best judge. But, I haven't noticed any residual bad smell the next day, if that helps.

If your buying only one aero, I would get the C&D Autumn Evening. The Butternut Burly is nice and I recommend it but the AE is superior in my opinion. If your ordering from P&C they carried both in bulk last time I looked so you could try an ounce of each if you choose. If you pull the trigger before reading this don't worry about regrets both are worth trying.

If your buying only one aero, I would get the C&D Autumn Evening. The Butternut Burly is nice and I recommend it but the AE is superior in my opinion. If your ordering from P&C they carried both in bulk last time I looked so you could try an ounce of each if you choose. If you pull the trigger before reading this don't worry about regrets both are worth trying.

I haven't yet. I first want to peruse what the B&M near me has. But I'll probably wind up placing an order Sunday night or Monday. I figure the Autumn Evening, the Irish Oak and the Purple Cow sound pretty good to me. Thanks so much for your help, gents! :thumbup:

Top Bottom