What's new

NECRO-POST how often do you clean everything....

Hi,

For my 40 years of shaving, I have never cleaned anything unless I picked up a new-to-me razor. Then, I clean it once and never again.

I do wipe the razor parts off with a washcloth when I change the blade. Typically once a week. During the week, I just loosen the head snd run water thru. That prevents soap residue build-up. This is something my father and grandfathers never did, though. Every razor I got from them were full of soap bulid-up.

I never clean the brush. Not a specific cleaning, anyway. They are used with soap for crying out loud. Rinsing out the soap constitutes cleaning. And before anyone says this is bad for the brush, it never bothered the boar brush I used for over 20 years or dad's brush he got in 1948 and stopped using in 1996 when he passed away.

And, the references to a brush 'holding water' makes no sense to me at all. Must be a bowl lather reference. I face lather and I do not want the brush holding water. I wet it and then shake all the water out. After that, it is just a case of dampening the hair tips and swirling on the soap puck and then my face to build lather in cycles. If the brush were wet, the lather would never build and it would make for a runny mess.

Stan

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
So you think there really any new questions we're asking today? How much have the answers changed in 10 years?:001_rolle

I doubt it, man.

I very rarely clean a razor beyond rinsing it when I'm done. If I do, it's probably because I've been traveling in a place with hard water, but I don't always do it then. If it's not a matter of travel, it's because I'm just polishing up one of my pretty ones.

I've never cleaned a brush beyond rinsing it when I'm done.

I have a water softener, so soap scum buildup really is not an issue.

I doubt it, man.

I very rarely clean a razor beyond rinsing it when I'm done. If I do, it's probably because I've been traveling in a place with hard water, but I don't always do it then. If it's not a matter of travel, it's because I'm just polishing up one of my pretty ones.

I've never cleaned a brush beyond rinsing it when I'm done.

In 100% agreement. :thumbup1:

I clean the razor every day, after I shave. Take it apart (three piece DE89), rinse the blade under hot water and pat dry with the facecloth or TP. Wipe dry all three pieces, especially the threaded post and the opening behind the guard (on both sides). Then, all get put aside for the next day shaving.
I never purposely clean my shaving brush.

I just rinse them. Maybe an alcohol swish if I happen to remember.

Any needed cleaning gets done at blade change time. Since I have hard water, I use an old head on my electric toothbrush to give it a quick scrub. Maybe a drop of mineral oil if the TTO mechanisms feel like they need it.

Life's too short to be disassembling razors and patting dry blades after every shave. Our dads and grandfathers didn't do it and these are the same razors we're using today.

I give everything a good rinse after each use. When it comes time to change razor or brush I will give said item a good scrubbing before putting it away until the next use. RIght now I've just been using my Maggard MR6 but have changed brushes a few times.

Top Bottom