What's new

How often do you clean your razors

I have 5 razors in rotation, open/disassemble and rinse after each shave (blade out and dried). Two shaves per blade, then next razor in rotation. When razor is retired back to the line up it gets (tooth) brushed and dried. General maintenance all razors every 6 months or so, wash, oil/polish etc.

Dismantle. Cover in dish detergent. Scrub with a stiff brush under hot water. Rinse. Shake off. Dry completely with a towel. Reassemble.

All vintage razors get soaked in hot water with some Dawn and then a toothbrush/toothpaste cleaning. After that I would say rarely to never. Just a quick rinse after each use.

Unless I'm selling it or one of my kids wants to try a new razor.....never.

I only have 1 razor in use and use it exclusively and have been for the past many years. Every time I try or swap it out, I'm disappointed.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
My razors get a rinse after each shave and a towel down. They only get a bath if there is a build up a soap which happens from time to time. New razors out of the box don’t get a bath but second hand razors bought off eBay or Antique Shops do get a bath before use.

I rinse my razor under the tap, then wipe it down with a towel and blow through any space between the cap and the baseplate to remove droplets.

When I change blades, I give the individual parts a wipe before reassembling the razor or storing it.

Some creams do seem to leave more of a build up than others - Proraso is particularly bad in this respect, but nothing that a quick wipe won't solve.

After each shave, I remove the blade, rinse it and pat it dry unless it's the third use, in which case I'm snapping it in half and putting it in an old medicine jar for eventual recycling. If it's a blade I'll use again, I put it back in its wrapper. I then rinse the razor as well, use a Q-tip to dry a few areas and after I blow dry my flowing locks (okay .. well ... graying hair that's relatively short anymore), I'll wave the blow drier over the razor a couple of times, then I put it away.
Is it ridiculous?
Probably. But I've always taken good care of my tools. And these razors, particularly my vintage Gillettes, are important tools to me and I want them to last.

I just cleaned a bunch that I had sitting around on the weekend. It was -30 and I was bored

It was probably the first time in 5y.

Mild dish soap soak, barbicide, rinse, air dry, wrapped and put away.

Just a quick rinse and towel dry after disassembly. I have hard water and will be interested to see what the long term effects are - I haven't been wet-shaving long enough to see a problem with mineral buildup yet.

I only take apart a razor for a thorough clean when I change the blade. That's typically after 3 or 4 shaves. Otherwise it will get a rinse under the cold tap after every shave, then left to dry with the handle loosened slightly.

A thorough clean in my book is a squirt of bathroom cleaner and a scrub with an old toothbrush to remove any limescale. My tap water is very hard.
I do about the same thing. I take apart my razor while changing the blade. I clean the razor with a toothbrush under running water. The Merkur 37C razor has hard-to-reach places on the bottom plate. I use a toothpick there. After washing, I wipe the razor with a paper towel and put it in the closet.

When we say; “ take apart the razor”. Does this mean a 3 piece razor?

If it does; for the life of me, I can’t figure out why so many think this to be a tedious chore or a time consuming operation that one wouldn’t want to quickly clean their razor after every shave?

I simply keep a small misting spray type bottle of alcohol in the medicine cabinet right above the bathroom sink.

After every shave, I very easily, very quickly unscrew the head from the handle, let the head, baseplate and blade easily fall apart on the vanity next to my sink ; and then just spray a couple of quick fine misting blasts of alcohol from that bottle onto the razors parts and blade.

It immediately, in seconds, displaces all water, instantly dissolves all leftover soap, hard water deposits and any other grime, instantly! No scrubbing, no time wasted? I then simply and easily dry the parts of the razor off with my bath towel, pat dry the blade with a piece of toilet paper that isn’t even 3 feet away; and then put it all back together and it’s as clean and disinfected as it was when it was new?

Again, not hours? And not even minutes? Literally takes just seconds? I take care of my tools and my tools take care of me. :)
OkieStubble

Amen brother.

I too have a small bottle of alcohol. I little goes a long way. It’s become a habit.

Quick, simple and easy to do.

Top Bottom