What's new

How often do you clean your razors

I'm curious, how often do you take apart and clean your razors?

After every shave, I take the shaver apart and wash it with a toothbrush and dish soap. But I'm not sure that's right.

Someone had mentioned that frequent disassembly and reassembly is a prerequisite for faster thread wear.

On the other hand, this procedure is too tedious when performed so often.
So I'd love to know what your practice is and what you think is right?

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Mine generally stay clean enough that they don't need a 'bath' often. Ironically I did use soap to clean my Hawk V3 today, and a q-tip to clean the lather channels, then a very light bit of marine grease on the threads. Aside from that I do wipe/grease the threads every couple of weeks.

For my Merkur Progress, the thread cleaning/greasing is more frequent since it's Zamack.

I dissemble the razor after each shave, rinse off, dry, and store the blade on a magnet I have stuck to my mirror with two sided tape. I also dry the various razor parts with my towel and set them up to dry, if it's a TTO, I dry it as best I can and leave the top open to dry. More than one way to skin a cat.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I gently clean a used vintage razor when I first acquire it, but after that I simply rinse and dry it after use. I would never polish a razor as I prefer a bit of patina. I would guess that the average B&B member, on acquiring a 70 year old vintage razor, will clean it more times in the following year, than it was cleaned in the previous 70 years combined 🤣 It is mostly unnecessary, but of course if you want to do it then.... shine on 👍

I only take apart a razor for a thorough clean when I change the blade. That's typically after 3 or 4 shaves. Otherwise it will get a rinse under the cold tap after every shave, then left to dry with the handle loosened slightly.

A thorough clean in my book is a squirt of bathroom cleaner and a scrub with an old toothbrush to remove any limescale. My tap water is very hard.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
When we say; “ take apart the razor”. Does this mean a 3 piece razor?

If it does; for the life of me, I can’t figure out why so many think this to be a tedious chore or a time consuming operation that one wouldn’t want to quickly clean their razor after every shave?

I simply keep a small misting spray type bottle of alcohol in the medicine cabinet right above the bathroom sink.

After every shave, I very easily, very quickly unscrew the head from the handle, let the head, baseplate and blade easily fall apart on the vanity next to my sink ; and then just spray a couple of quick fine misting blasts of alcohol from that bottle onto the razors parts and blade.

It immediately, in seconds, displaces all water, instantly dissolves all leftover soap, hard water deposits and any other grime, instantly! No scrubbing, no time wasted? I then simply and easily dry the parts of the razor off with my bath towel, pat dry the blade with a piece of toilet paper that isn’t even 3 feet away; and then put it all back together and it’s as clean and disinfected as it was when it was new?

Again, not hours? And not even minutes? Literally takes just seconds? I take care of my tools and my tools take care of me. :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A blade tends to last me between 10-20 shaves. Some might conk out sooner, some later. I might give the razor a good clean every second or third blade change. I may clean it sooner if I notice heavy deposits. The extent of the clean can vary too.

I clean my razor (rinse and wipe) after each blade change, which is every Sunday. No need for alcohol, toothbrush, etc. Also, I leave my blade in all week. It will take a long time in poor conditions for a blade to rust. When I found my father's Gillette Executive it had been in a box under the sink in the bathroom for 30 years with a blade in it...and no rust on blade or razor. The only time I use alcohol is when I purchase a vintage razor from an antique store, then, if its grimy, I might use a bit of toothpaste and a brush to clean and a dip in alcohol for sanitizing.

Top Bottom