What's new

Nakayama Kiita Stones

It looks usable to me. Try lapping it and give it a whirl. If it doesn't work, then you can go back to the other side.

My Kiita arrived a couple of days ago and i spent a very relaxing friday night honing razors.

i picked up a few Hellbergs, which are swedish steel and used a 5/8 this morning. i could not believe how smooth the edge was, simply sharp and wonderful!

if i never use the stone again, i think i got my moneys worth!

There's something special about these stones. Mine sits there on the table, and just seeing it there makes me happy. It's a magic happy-stone that radiates serenity and peace.

Hey Josh,

Thanks for the photo. My stone is on its way, so hopefully I'll have it by next Friday... and I too will spend a relaxing evening honing razors.

More pictures, folks!

Mike

Holy crap!
HGAL=5+/3+++/3++++/3++++
You sir, got one very, very nice stone. I've seen stones like that on sale for almost a thousand dollars! Cherish that one!

Yeah, that's why I bought it even with the Dutch Auction price hike. It was too good to leave to chance.

Seriously folks, the feel of a blade honed on one of these stones is amazing. I use CrOx and it does indeed give a smooth shave but the Kiita stones are in a totaly different class. The increased level of smoothness you get when going from #8000 to CrOx is the same as you get from CrOx to Kiita.

This really is not a bunch of fluff tring to justify the expense. If you can afford it and really want that "Velvet Squegee" feel, pick one of these things up. It just makes your shaves buttery smooth.

Almost justifies the the effort of learning Japanese to take part in similar auctions by this vendor.

It takes more than that. First, I had to verify the quality of the stones. That means I had to buy several to use before offering them to other people. Then I had to make sure that the dealer sent stones that matched my requests. Also, there was the aspect of ratings and understanding each category. Although I asked him about the ratings, he couldn't explain them properly. It was by using enough stones did I finally understand them on my own.

Doing it for other people isn't something I'd readily do again.

Damn all of you! You are making me want another Japanese hone! Do I need a Karasu? No. But I would have had one if I hadn't been mere minutes late seeing the one Telly posted.

Must stop coming to this thread!

This is a heck of a service you are doing for us, Telly. I personally would not begrudge you tacking on a few bucks for your effort.

This is a heck of a service you are doing for us, Telly. I personally would not begrudge you tacking on a few bucks for your effort.

The service has long been stopped. As for the price, I tried to keep everything at cost. After all, getting these stones for cheap was the whole idea.

Last edited:
Question: Do you guys use your Nakayama right after 8K or do you go to an intermediary strop and/or hone? I know that a lot of guys like the Coticule.

I'll probably go Norton 4/8k 8k side to my Nakayama in the future. Haven't done it yet tho, the guinea pig wapi was used on a 12k chinese a few months before I got the Nakayama and left unused. My dovo was honed on diamond film, 0.3um(iirc) by Seraphim and had about 10 shaves before I used the Nakayama on it. Both razors improved alot.

Recently, I've been using mine after 0.5 diamond lapping film. The edges don't feel sharper but they are smoother.

Top Bottom