What's new

Nakayama Kiita Stones

It is, once again, a matter of supply and demand.

I bought my Nakayama a couple of years ago for 150 Aus$. It is pictured somewhere in this thread. At that time Lynn still maintained that a Nakayama was no better than an Escher for final polishing razors. I bought one because Ivo Zlatinov (Izlat) had told me about them, and he was at the time one of the very few toying with a Japanes finisher.

Nowadays Lynn says a Nakayama gets him (you as well?) an even better edge so now everyone wants a Nakayama to polish their razors. As the mines near Kyoto have closed supply is limited and prices are soaring. As soon as some hone guru tells us we need vintage hone X, Y or Z you'll see that everyone starts looking for such a hone fuelling an increase in prices for that hone.

Japanese hones have an added inbuilt complexity: not 2 hones have similar honing qualities so every niche has its own hone. As most Japanese hones are sold in Japan and most of us, myself included, do not know Japanese we need a middleman to find us what we need. All this adds to the price of the hone. A similar thing we see with e.g. Eschers: Y/G command higher prices than grey ones. An Escher commands a higher price than a vintage Thuringian. IME ight grey vintage Thuringians are better than most grey Eschers but they command a lower price. Why? Because they miss the label, they were not selected and labelled by Herr Escher himself.

Telly has tried to cut out the middleman in Japan and procure a hone for the 1st 5 who responded to his original post. AFAIK 4 of those received an excellent hone at a reasonable price. Maybe the same hones would have been cheaper 2 years ago, but that's not Telly's fault.

Pasted strops will give you a very nicely polished razor's edge at a fraction of the cost of an Escher or Nakayama. But we hone junkies want what's rare and have to pay the price for our craving.

Do I need my Nakayama? NO! Do I want my Nakayama? YES! Am I gonna sell it? NO. Am I a hone addict? YES.

Last edited:
Nowadays Lynn says a Nakayama gets him (you as well?) an even better edge so now everyone wants a Nakayama to polish their razors. As the mines near Kyoto have closed supply is limited and prices are soaring. As soon as some hone guru tells us we need vintage hone X, Y or Z you'll see that everyone starts looking for such a hone fuelling an increase in prices for that hone.

Well, I'm no hone guru and have never claimed to be one. Although not banned at SRP, English hasn't posted there since April, which is when he started to post here again after a 6-month hiatus. If this was a response to something someone at SRP said, then he should've posted it there.

Telly, I never implied in any way that you fuelled any hone hype. The way I look at it: you used your contacts to offer a few B&B members a Nakayama at a reasonable price by cutting out the middleman. If anything your action would have had a downward influence on Nakayama prices as you made a few hones available in the west that would otherwise have stayed in Japan or been sold at higher prices in the western hemisphere.

Telly did everything possible to keep our prices down. I even had to insist on paying the full shipping costs to Canada, as it ended up costing a few bucks more than expected and he was saying "close enough".

I for one am most grateful for Telly's hard work in sourcing these great stones at below-market prices.

Mike

Telly did everything possible to keep our prices down....

... I for one am most grateful for Telly's hard work in sourcing these great stones at below-market prices.

Mike

+ 1000. I find it odd that when someone does something like Telly did, making some very desirable items available to members at prices that would not be the norm, they face criticism.

Not many of us have the resources or connections or whatever to find this kind of stuff and I'm grateful when someone makes the effort to share with others when they could just as easily add big markups and make a lot of money.

So, a very public thanks to Telly.

s.

Well that's the odd thing... I didn't interpret English's post as a directed at Telly or the transactions that came out of this thread, but rather at the mania over Japanese hones generally.

If he meant the latter, then I'd agree with him on some points. If the former, that's just nuts!

A good post in the wrong thread?

Last edited:
Well that's the odd thing... I didn't interpret English's post as a directed at Telly or the transactions that came out of this thread, but rather at the mania over Japanese hones generally.

If he meant the latter, then I'd agree with him on some points. If the former, that's just nuts!

A good post in the wrong thread?

My post was not directed at Telly and I'm sorry it has been taken that way.
It was meant as reality check and you are correct I should have put it in a new discussion thread.

English, I felt that your earlier statement was really out of line.

Telly, thank you again for this service to the B&B community.

I'm actually kind of upset about this, because this was a really excellent thread that I checked every day for new information about these great stones. Now I feel it's been pretty much derailed.

I agree lets get this thread back on track.

Ill start, I bought a nakayama kiita from Tellys personal collection. I must say this stone can really place an amazing edge on a razor. Far more than my previous method which was polishing on .3 micron film. The scratch pattern under my loupe is far more consistent and fine. The main thing I love about these stones is that they sharpen and polish at the same time. I find my edges to be much more refined after a session on this stone. It may not be for every one but it certainly is for me.

Here is a pic of mine with a bit of water.

Last edited:
The stones from the dealer are available to everyone. You have to specifically ask for the right stone from him since he has just about every grade of stone. The stones from my personal collection came from a little shop owner in Japan who has a very limited supply. All of his stones are of high quality.

The stones from the dealer are available to everyone. You have to specifically ask for the right stone from him since he has just about every grade of stone. The stones from my personal collection came from a little shop owner in Japan who has a very limited supply. All of his stones are of high quality.

Im glad I picked it up from you when I did. Thanks again sir

Im glad I picked it up from you when I did. Thanks again sir

+1

Like ambrose, I recently acquired one of Telly's personal collection stones. The results have been quite impressive and I would like to publicly thank Telly for offering these fine stones.

My stone had stamps on it, but it also had some scratches. My guess is that the previous owner(s) didn't want to lap it for fear of removing the stamps.

Well... I have photos of the stamps. And I'd rather have a smooth, stampless stone. So forgive me, but I went ahead and lapped it.

Here are revised photos. In the first three, the stone is dry. The stone is now so smooth and flat, it reflects even when dry. See the second photo. (In real life, the reflection is much more pronounced.)

In the final two, the stone is wet.

I'll update later on what really matters: performance!

Mike

Mike, that looks like the West End out your window? My wife and I moved here to TO a couple of years ago. We both grew up in Vancouver.

And that stone is beautiful, btw!

s.

Ha! All you can see is a couple of cheesey apartment buildings, and you know it's the West End. (My building is pretty cool though. Older than most of my razors.)

Yes, well spotted. If you can guess the nearest intersection, you win a fabulous prize. (But not the stone pictured below!)

If you look very closely in the right lighting, you'll see a faint sparkle on the surface of some of the stones. That's more common on the more yellower stones.

Ha! All you can see is a couple of cheesey apartment buildings, and you know it's the West End. (My building is pretty cool though. Older than most of my razors.)

Yes, well spotted. If you can guess the nearest intersection, you win a fabulous prize. (But not the stone pictured below!)

Well, I'd take a wild guess and say you're at Davie and Jervis, but you might be on the other side of Denman... so hard to tell...

Congratulations on your acquisition. I have one kiita (asagi?) Telly sold me and I found it very different from other hones. I love the feedback and the edge it leaves on the blade is smooth, but also feels like the stone actually sharpens, too (not just polish). Makes me start to look at getting another (god...help me).

s.

Top Bottom