What's new

Red Bay Oil Stone

I will try to get into the details of the stone more later, but I'm wrestling with the idea of whether that is really worth it or not.

This is one of the British stones that popped up for availability recently - the Red Bay Oil Stone. I wasn't able to find much on it, one can discern it's origin by its name probably - but on the British side of it (per the label). The seller was less than helpful on getting an idea about how the stone would perform, but I like odd stones so I figured I would give it roll of the dice. I am surprised it came in one piece; it was wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap for an international trip. That isn't the stones fault though.

Let's start with what is on the label - "Fast Cutting". It places far below a Hindostan in cutting speed (maybe 50%+ slower), and still below my Berea Sandstone (I do not have a Queer Creek to test on hand, Berea is supposed to be a bit nicer so take that for what you will). However, it is *a good deal* below my Berea Bluestone in comparison. The only stones it cuts faster than are very slow stones that almost never generate swarf (and are usually finer than this stone) - it will in fact generate a bit of swarf with some pressure and effort. Overall - I would never bill this as fast cutting to anyone.

Okay - it isn't fast cutting as the labelling suggests, so how what are its other attributes? It is extremely porous. Soak for 30 minutes in water and it still wants more porous. It has a fairly hard structure to it (flicking it gives a very ceramic like "tink" sound which only comes from harder stones I find) but the porosity of it means it will slurry fine for you. It will not self-slurry. The grit rating with slurry is comparable to my Berea Sandstone and again below a Hindostan (unless you heavily conditioned it for coarse grinding), maybe in the 800-1k analogous region. Without slurry it isn't much better, maybe 1k-1.5k analogous tops. It doesn't burnish easily, and its porous nature means that it's burnished sharpening surface isn't useful for much. The burnished surface doesn't really provide any significantly finer performance.

The positive things about it (in so far as I can drudge up any) - it does cut for a long time on the same conditioned surface. It's grit doesn't wear out super easily - though that benefit is counterbalanced quite a bit by it being so slow naturally. Cool it cuts *very slowly* for a long time. It does respond to pressure decently well, but once again you are starting so far "behind" that it's increase in performance is pretty much only relative to itself.

I haven't tried it with oil. There is a decent chance with oil it may cut a little better, and it probably wants the oil given how its composition is fairly durable already - maybe that would make it cut *very slowly* for ages. I suppose there may be a very specific tool you could use for the stone, some type of chisel or otherwise that you can put all your body weight on and you want the stone to cut forever - but honestly, I'd have a hard time seeing that reality play out when you have better options. I would pick my Berea over it (for significantly cheaper) and I bet the Queer Creeks are better than it to (I can report back, I have one coming). A Hindostan runs laps around it (as it does the Bluestones) and has a significantly wider range of performance and conditioning capabilities. I haven't jumped into Washitas yet but given their reputation over the Hindostan I would bet the shadow over this sub-par stone looms even larger than I can demonstrate.

TLDR: When I find myself recommending Bluestone over something for all applications - hard pass. Hopefully others found this useful and if you were contemplating buying the stone - let me have suffered the pains of it for you. Go use your money for something else!

Last edited:
It appears to be one the Dalmore Tam O shanter works sold, but seems unknown. My guess is similar to a dalmore, but don't know. Only account of it online I could find is from SRP Catalogue of hones and only says
Red Bay Oilstone
Red coloured stone. The one example I have seen was in a red box similiar to those used by the Water of Ayr & Tam O Shanter Honeworks Ltd. It was being sold as part of a large listing which included all the different types of Scottish hones, so it may come from that part of the world.

Don't know if this is the same as the red bay, but found this info in an article about the Tam O Shanter stone.
Geographically, the shale deposits extend across the Mid-Scottish Lowlands, separating the North Scottish Highlands and the South Scottish Highlands. The lowland is composed of red-colored sandstones, shales and limestones, overlain by a moraine cover. The shale deposits stretch for 24 km from the lower part of the Firth of Forth (Midlothian) to West Lothian (Linlithgow). The Scottish shale deposits are found in the Lower Carboniferous Calcareous sandstones, lying between the Devonian ancient red sandstones and Carboniferous limestones. The mass has a thickness of about 1500 meters and in some places comes to the surface, which made it possible to extract the stone without creating deep mines. The layers of shale rock have a thickness of from a few centimeters to 4.5 meters.

I will try to get into the details of the stone more later, but I'm wrestling with the idea of whether that is really worth it or not.

This is one of the British stones that popped up for availability recently - the Red Bay Oil Stone. I wasn't able to find much on it, one can discern it's origin by its name probably - but on the British side of it (per the label). The seller was less than helpful on getting an idea about how the stone would perform, but I like odd stones so I figured I would give it roll of the dice. I am surprised it came in one piece; it was wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap for an international trip. That isn't the stones fault though.

Let's start with what is on the label - "Fast Cutting". It places far below a Hindostan in cutting speed (maybe 50%+ slower), and still below my Berea Sandstone (I do not have a Queer Creek to test on hand, Berea is supposed to be a bit nicer so take that for what you will). However, it is *a good deal* below my Berea Bluestone in comparison. The only stones it cuts faster than are very slow stones that almost never generate swarf (and are usually finer than this stone) - it will in fact generate a bit of swarf with some pressure and effort. Overall - I would never bill this as fast cutting to anyone.

Okay - it isn't fast cutting as the labelling suggests, so how what are its other attributes? It is extremely porous. Soak for 30 minutes in water and it still wants more porous. It has a fairly hard structure to it (flicking it gives a very ceramic like "tink" sound which only comes from harder stones I find) but the porosity of it means it will slurry fine for you. It will not self-slurry. The grit rating with slurry is comparable to my Berea Sandstone and again below a Hindostan (unless you heavily conditioned it for coarse grinding), maybe in the 800-1k analogous region. Without slurry it isn't much better, maybe 1k-1.5k analogous tops. It doesn't burnish easily, and its porous nature means that it's burnished sharpening surface isn't useful for much. The burnished surface doesn't really provide any significantly finer performance.

The positive things about it (in so far as I can drudge up any) - it does cut for a long time on the same conditioned surface. It's grit doesn't wear out super easily - though that benefit is counterbalanced quite a bit by it being so slow naturally. Cool it cuts *very slowly* for a long time. It does respond to pressure decently well, but once again you are starting so far "behind" that it's increase in performance is pretty much only relative to itself.

I haven't tried it with oil. There is a decent chance with oil it may cut a little better, and it probably wants the oil given how its composition is fairly durable already - maybe that would make it cut *very slowly* for ages. I suppose there may be a very specific tool you could use for the stone, some type of chisel or otherwise that you can put all your body weight on and you want the stone to cut forever - but honestly, I'd have a hard time seeing that reality play out when you have better options. I would pick my Berea over it (for significantly cheaper) and I bet the Queer Creeks are better than it to (I can report back, I have one coming). A Hindostan runs laps around it (as it does the Bluestones) and has a significantly wider range of performance and conditioning capabilities. I haven't jumped into Washitas yet but given their reputation over the Hindostan I would bet the shadow over this sub-par stone looms even larger than I can demonstrate.

TLDR: When I find myself recommending Bluestone over something for all applications - hard pass. Hopefully others found this useful and if you were contemplating buying the stone - let me have suffered the pains of it for you. Go use your money for something else!

Thanks for checking this guy out and such a detailed report. I was super close to ordering one. I also found little information online besides 2 forum posts and one photo so my curiosity was strong. But I probably have 10 Queer Creek/blue Sandstone/bear creek type stones now so It sounds like there isn't much use to getting one for the novalty alone.

Thanks for checking this guy out and such a detailed report. I was super close to ordering one. I also found little information online besides 2 forum posts and one photo so my curiosity was strong. But I probably have 10 Queer Creek/blue Sandstone/bear creek type stones now so It sounds like there isn't much use to getting one for the novalty alone.
Yeah, I do really wish it was remarkable in any *one* particular way. I'm not really sure what to do with it xD
It appears to be one the Dalmore Tam O shanter works sold, but seems unknown. My guess is similar to a dalmore, but don't know. Only account of it online I could find is from SRP Catalogue of hones and only says
Red Bay Oilstone
Red coloured stone. The one example I have seen was in a red box similiar to those used by the Water of Ayr & Tam O Shanter Honeworks Ltd. It was being sold as part of a large listing which included all the different types of Scottish hones, so it may come from that part of the world.

Don't know if this is the same as the red bay, but found this info in an article about the Tam O Shanter stone.
Geographically, the shale deposits extend across the Mid-Scottish Lowlands, separating the North Scottish Highlands and the South Scottish Highlands. The lowland is composed of red-colored sandstones, shales and limestones, overlain by a moraine cover. The shale deposits stretch for 24 km from the lower part of the Firth of Forth (Midlothian) to West Lothian (Linlithgow). The Scottish shale deposits are found in the Lower Carboniferous Calcareous sandstones, lying between the Devonian ancient red sandstones and Carboniferous limestones. The mass has a thickness of about 1500 meters and in some places comes to the surface, which made it possible to extract the stone without creating deep mines. The layers of shale rock have a thickness of from a few centimeters to 4.5 meters.
So, the only thing here is that the stone label says "Made in Britian" so I assume it isn't from the Scotland area. Maybe that is a wrong assumption though, they are pretty particular on the other stones to say "Made in Scotland" though.

Reactions: Wid
Yeah, I do really wish it was remarkable in any *one* particular way. I'm not really sure what to do with it xD

So, the only thing here is that the stone label says "Made in Britian" so I assume it isn't from the Scotland area. Maybe that is a wrong assumption though, they are pretty particular on the other stones to say "Made in Scotland" though.
Odd. Maybe it came from Britian, but it was sold by the Dalmore estate Tam O Shanter works and even uses their boxes. I did miss that on the box.

Odd. Maybe it came from Britian, but it was sold by the Dalmore estate Tam O Shanter works and even uses their boxes. I did miss that on the box.
Yeah - no doubt it is sold by the Dalmore estate but I am guessing the stock is being pulled from elsewhere. All educated guessing though really on my part.

Post a couple decent photos of it if you can. I asked the seller for some and it looks very homogeneous red sandstone. But photos weren't great. I'm amazed none of us have seen these red bay oilstones before.

I have a red sandstone from Sweden? It is very coarse, like 200grit range. It feels bad under a knife but isn't so bad for an axe, but no reason not to just use one of my countless india or sic stones for axes.

Post a couple decent photos of it if you can. I asked the seller for some and it looks very homogeneous red sandstone. But photos weren't great. I'm amazed none of us have seen these red bay oilstones before.

I have a red sandstone from Sweden? It is very coarse, like 200grit range. It feels bad under a knife but isn't so bad for an axe, but no reason not to just use one of my countless india or sic stones for axes.
Here you go! I actually had taken other pictures, but B&B compression makes them worthless. I will keep the one that is visibly useful.

Attachments

• DSCF6666.JPG
    DSCF6666.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Red Bay Oilstone

Do you reckon a blue Dalmore with a yellow Dalmore slurry stone would be slow like that? Are they oil stones? I always used water on my queer creek sandstone. I've got a blue base with a yellow tomo I've yet to test. I'm having fun with a gaggle of Turkeys.

Coticules/ bbws (honorable mention for blue Pyrenees) are top shelf axe stones. I was shocked when I figured that out and after I thought about the physics of it, for more than 2 seconds, I felt really dumb. I'm glad I got it though, lot of wood to chop around here.

Do you reckon a blue Dalmore with a yellow Dalmore slurry stone would be slow like that? Are they oil stones? I always used water on my queer creek sandstone. I've got a blue base with a yellow tomo I've yet to test. I'm having fun with a gaggle of Turkeys.
I have a Dalmore Blue, it is much faster than this Red Bay. I don't have a Dalmore Yellow, which I understand to be very coarse grit. I probably would not look to put a Dalmore Yellow slurry on a Dalmore Blue, seems to me to be defeating the point.

You can use most oil stones as water stones if you want. They will usually exhaust faster (the oil lubricates the grit, keeping it from rounding off similar to other industrial grinding applications), and they may be coarser or finer with water vs oil depending on their makeup. However, most of the time with these porous stones once you go oil you stick with it unless you intend to go through the degreasing headache.
Coticules/ bbws (honorable mention for blue Pyrenees) are top shelf axe stones. I was shocked when I figured that out and after I thought about the physics of it, for more than 2 seconds, I felt really dumb. I'm glad I got it though, lot of wood to chop around here.
This isn't super surprising that they would cut well with those. Coticules love cutting anything!

I have a Dalmore Blue, it is much faster than this Red Bay. I don't have a Dalmore Yellow, which I understand to be very coarse grit. I probably would not look to put a Dalmore Yellow slurry on a Dalmore Blue, seems to me to be defeating the point.

You can use most oil stones as water stones if you want. They will usually exhaust faster (the oil lubricates the grit, keeping it from rounding off similar to other industrial grinding applications), and they may be coarser or finer with water vs oil depending on their makeup. However, most of the time with these porous stones once you go oil you stick with it unless you intend to go through the degreasing headache.

This isn't super surprising that they would cut well with those. Coticules love cutting anything!
Yep. Once i had the realization that garnets cut everything but diamonds I felt like kicking myself. Axe steel is very hard but a fast, coarser coticule can work faster than a fine file sometimes... crazy.

Legion

Staff member
Thanks for taking one for the team. I saw it being sold and was curious about it. Not curious enough to have it shipped to Australia, but I'm glad one of you guys tried it out.

Legion

Staff member

Scotland is part of Great Britain.

Scotland is part of Great Britain.

Oh yeah, I only made the distinction because every other stone they have from Scotland they make sure says "Scotland" on it. I don't know why they wouldn't do the same here.

Legion

Staff member
Oh yeah, I only made the distinction because every other stone they have from Scotland they make sure says "Scotland" on it. I don't know why they wouldn't do the same here.
I guess it might be like Simpson brushes. They used to say made in England. Now they have to say made in Great Britain, because they are located in Isle of Man. Still British though. Someone in marketing thought British sounded more marketable than Scottish

Here you go! I actually had taken other pictures, but B&B compression makes them worthless. I will keep the one that is visibly useful.

Thanks G, that is very homogeneous, doesnt look like my red sandstone at all which has visible white sand grains. I dont think it was a very popular oilstone or we would have stumbled across some examples before.

Thanks G, that is very homogeneous, doesnt look like my red sandstone at all which has visible white sand grains. I dont think it was a very popular oilstone or we would have stumbled across some examples before.

Yeah very true, performance represents that I suppose. It is interesting as lapped down feels nice and smooth and it looks like it should perform better than it does. Oh well.

Top Bottom