What's new

Slurry stone promoted to finishing hone

I'm going to have to give that little LL hybrid hone I have another look too I guess. I do know I don't like edges off the hybrid side, and I only bought it to try that. I might try finishing a razor just on the coti side and see how that is.

If its anything like the apparent slate back piece I have, it will be a keeper too
So, the little LL hybrid #5 bout that I have is a keeper too. I was going to sell it because I don't care for edges off the hybrid side. I just did some high-mid level work on a Dovo Inox that has been a headache for me to get a decent edge on because its stainless steel, and I was able to get it in really good shape. I used LL slurry and only honed on the coticule side. Finished on water then bloom water from shaving soap.

Very nice edge.

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
So, the little LL hybrid #5 bout that I have is a keeper too. I was going to sell it because I don't care for edges off the hybrid side. I just did some high-mid level work on a Dovo Inox that has been a headache for me to get a decent edge on because its stainless steel, and I was able to get it in really good shape. I used LL slurry and only honed on the coticule side. Finished on water then bloom water from shaving soap.

Very nice edge.
What don’t you like about the hybrid edge?

What don’t you like about the hybrid edge?
No doubt it will get the edge very polished and sharp. It just doesn't have that coticule comfort to me. Just like allot of people love Black Ark edges, but I don't. To me, they are efficient and sharp, but not comfortable

No doubt it will get the edge very polished and sharp. It just doesn't have that coticule comfort to me. Just like allot of people love Black Ark edges, but I don't. To me, they are efficient and sharp, but not comfortable
The jury is still out on Black Ark edges for me. But I love translucent Ark edges. How do those strike you?

Of course, it could all be that I need to learn more about surface prep and its effects.

I don’t have a hybrid to hone on but if you send me a blade I’ll return it with a very comfortable black Ark edge.

The jury is still out on Black Ark edges for me. But I love translucent Ark edges. How do those strike you?

Of course, it could all be that I need to learn more about surface prep and its effects.
I've never tried a translucent. I thought they were kind of in the same range as Black arks?

So there are two yellow sides to LL. Been awhile since I used modern LL, but I seem to recall one feels a little dry/sandy almost and the other is more like a smooth/slower LV, nice and smooth, silky but not ultra-fast.

So there are two yellow sides to LL. Been awhile since I used modern LL, but I seem to recall one feels a little dry/sandy almost and the other is more like a smooth/slower LV, nice and smooth, silky but not ultra-fast.
That's a pretty accurate description of the feel of the one I've decided to finish on. Very LV like, though it does seem finer and a bit faster based on the swarf it produces, not at all gritty or grainy. Very silky/smooth

Edit: Just wanted to add that it seems to have a very dynamic range based on the pressure used. I'd love to be able to find a larger bout just like it

Last edited:
That's a pretty accurate description of the feel of the one I've decided to finish on. Very LV like, though it does seem finer and a bit faster based on the swarf it produces, not at all gritty or grainy. Very silky/smooth

Edit: Just wanted to add that it seems to have a very dynamic range based on the pressure used. I'd love to be able to find a larger bout just like it
My favorite coticule is 3.75"x1.75"... favorite bbw too.

Top Bottom