What's new

Mysterious old blade or confused new owner?

First post so be gentle. My straight has drawn enough blood for one day.
I snagged a rather clean looking set of scales today, which come attached to a curious razor. It is marked only "Figaro" in an odd hexagon, rather than the toothed oval as described in German Tool and Blade Makers - Archivingindustry.com. Also "M. Deposee" which suggest French manufacture or import.
The seller said if was a "Sheffield blade" but I saw no such markings, so who knows.
$new razor.jpg$new razor 2.jpg

I don't think this blade is valuable to anyone but me, but I love it, and I have spent many hours trying to identify this thing. If anyone has any knowledge about or owns one of these Id love to hear about it.

Cannot help you in the least but can only say I agree with being enamoured with this razor . There is something captivating about it. Simple , clean ,, somehow deco?

Legion

Staff member
Hello and welcome to B&B!

That razor looks vary similar to my French Hamon Fabricant razor, which is one of my all time favourite, go-to razors. I love it.

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
More info about mine, which from the looks of it, was made at the same time and place as yours.

French, made in Paris slightly after 1867 (The maker won a medal at the Grand Exhibition that year, and it is marked on the blade. They also won an award at the next exhibition, and that is not mentioned, so I put the date of manufacture between those two exhibitions).

The scales are genuine ivory, blade is quarter hollow. Please don't put a bulldog clip on your ivory scales again. :001_rolle

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty dumb huh? Realized that.....after I took the pic.
Got away with it with no visible harm, fortunately.

First post so be gentle. My straight has drawn enough blood for one day.
I snagged a rather clean looking set of scales today, which come attached to a curious razor. It is marked only "Figaro" in an odd hexagon, rather than the toothed oval as described in German Tool and Blade Makers - Archivingindustry.com. Also "M. Deposee" which suggest French manufacture or import.
The seller said if was a "Sheffield blade" but I saw no such markings, so who knows.
View attachment 716711View attachment 716712

I don't think this blade is valuable to anyone but me, but I love it, and I have spent many hours trying to identify this thing. If anyone has any knowledge about or owns one of these Id love to hear about it.

I would say French blade with some very nice real ivory scales. Great score!

Top Bottom