What's new

My straight razor journey begins....

Great to hear that you survived. It is very awkward in the beginning, but it gets better. I assure you.
It is OK to shave entirely with your right hand, but nonetheless many find it easier to use the left hand too. I was one of those who never thought I would one day be using my left hand to shave. Whatever works for you is what you should do.
About the upper lip: I find it easier to do a North to south pass here and in my second pass coming from the side, as in West to East and vice versa. I also stretch the skin very tautly.
Remember to also watch your angle closely. That is usually what gives newbies post shave irritation. Along with too much pressure.

Just keep on going, sooner or later it will start to feel more natural, and then shaving will never be the same for you.
Great to hear that you did not spill a drop of blood, but remember that you are handling a very sharp instrument, and you should not get overconfident.

Congratulations on starting straight shaving. I've wanted to take the plunge for a while now but the amount of options and things that have to come with it are overwhelming.

Congratulations on starting straight shaving. I've wanted to take the plunge for a while now but the amount of options and things that have to come with it are overwhelming.

I say go for it!!!

I was always wanting but never committing to doing it. I am very happy to being at it and no longer waiting.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
It's really not as complicated as it sounds. A shave ready gold dollar, or a sight unseen straight and a poor mans strop from whipped dog and you're in the game!

Welcome to the club! Stay with it. With time you're shave will improve. Once you've mastered the art, you won't get a better shave anywhere! SHAVE ON!

Over due update on my progress.

This past Sunday was my second shave. All went very well.

I had received my Poor Man's Strop Kit from Whipped Dog (Thank you for the suggestion) I went about learning how to strop my straight razor. I no stranger to stropping a hunting knife, so the learning curve was a little easier in that respect. Being efficient at it however will take some time. The recommended 30-40 strokes takes me awhile.

I was confident enough on this second shave to let my wife watch. She was interested in seeing the process. I started with my cheeks and worked from there. I am starting to get the hang of the curves and tight areas of my face. I still stopped short of doing all of my face. The corners of mouth, under my nose and my adams apple. I finished up with my Merkur.

Third shave came last night. I was able to shave almost all of my face this time. I more missed a couple spots than purposely skipped them. I am really enjoying using a straight. It does take me a bit of time but I am not in rush. Speed will come as I get better and more confident.

I guess the only question I have is what will be my next razor??? :lol:

My plan is to gift this one to my brother and get him to post his experience here as I have.

Over due update on my progress.

This past Sunday was my second shave. All went very well.

I had received my Poor Man's Strop Kit from Whipped Dog (Thank you for the suggestion) I went about learning how to strop my straight razor. I no stranger to stropping a hunting knife, so the learning curve was a little easier in that respect. Being efficient at it however will take some time. The recommended 30-40 strokes takes me awhile.

I was confident enough on this second shave to let my wife watch. She was interested in seeing the process. I started with my cheeks and worked from there. I am starting to get the hang of the curves and tight areas of my face. I still stopped short of doing all of my face. The corners of mouth, under my nose and my adams apple. I finished up with my Merkur.

Third shave came last night. I was able to shave almost all of my face this time. I more missed a couple spots than purposely skipped them. I am really enjoying using a straight. It does take me a bit of time but I am not in rush. Speed will come as I get better and more confident.

I guess the only question I have is what will be my next razor??? :lol:

My plan is to gift this one to my brother and get him to post his experience here as I have.
Ebay has a full assortment of straight razors just waiting for you...:001_smile

Been on the striaght ride for several years and for me it's the only way to shave now and now that i have been honing for awhile it just completes the experience, take your time and make it enjoyable, it does take time to learn but worth it.

Been busy with work, holidays and haven't had a chance to update in a bit.

I am successfully shaving my entire face!!! I'm even starting to take less time. I am really enjoying SR shaving.

My DE razors are not getting much use when I'm home. Haha

proxy.php

Won this one on Ebay and sent it down to Scott in FL.

Today was my first shave with it. It shaves great and feel light in my hand. I like it!!!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Been busy with work, holidays and haven't had a chance to update in a bit.

I am successfully shaving my entire face!!! I'm even starting to take less time. I am really enjoying SR shaving.

My DE razors are not getting much use when I'm home. Haha
That's great news! Nice looking razor below too. I've always been fond of vintage Case razors and knives. After Scott's done with that it should shave very well. Are you getting a coti finish or jnat?

Top Bottom