What's new

My shaving journal

I shaved with a Shick injector back in the 70s after learning to shave with a hand me down DE. I don't remember there being a lot of difference in the way it shaved, but it has been over 40 years. Good luck on your journey Josh, and you have tried a lot of new things that are all superior to the cartridge shave. You have done so using an open mind, and giving new ideas, tools and techniques an honest attempt at being successful. Congratulations, and see you around.

I got to thinking that a couple weeks' time will mark my first anniversary for taking a straight to my face. I feel like it would be fitting to celebrate it by picking up the same one I started with on New Year's Eve and taking it for a whirl.

I've been mostly shaving with DEs over the last few months, having never tried them before using a straight and getting hooked. Having twin boys nine weeks ago has made me value the convenience of the DE, but I also really look forward to the ritual of shaving in the morning as a nice way to focus and do something for myself. Those little guys are cute, but they keep us busy!

Since my last journal entry months ago I have been occasionally using my Feather AC SS or my vintage straights, just to stay in the game. When I do, I feel like my results are better than where I left off with the journal. The other parts of the shave - lathering, mostly - have improved a lot, and it has paid dividends. I've mostly been using DEs at the hardcore end of the aggressiveness curve (R41, Fatip), which has also helped me stay focused on angles and pressure.

I might squeeze a few entries in before the year's end for old time's sake, and it will encourage me to break out the straights more often. When it all comes together it's well worth getting up earlier for!

For the record, I'm still a rank amateur at honing. But I like playing with the coticule and have a renewed urge to get better with it.

Top Bottom