What's new

My shaving journal

Okay, so I thought I might start one of these to keep track of my experiences to date. I see there is a journal page, but I'm not sure how these things end up in there, so I thought I'd just start writing here and if a mod wants to move it then please do.

I need to backtrack a few days, as I am currently three shaves in and nearly ready to have a crack at a fourth.

Shave #1: New Year's Eve

Straight razor shaving was something I had been considering for about the last year or so. I've used Gilette Sensor cartridge razors (the old style with twin blades) since I was a teenager (20+ years ago now), and have NEVER been an everyday shaver. This isn't so much out of hating the act of shaving or looking clean shaven; it's more that it makes my skin feel abused and sensitive for a day or so after. I would usually let it grow out for anything from a few days to a few weeks, before clippering everything (head included) and shaving my face with my razor while I was at it. I'd heard that shaving with a straight was easier on the skin, and what's more the idea of it had the appeal of being an uber-manly habit to have. I felt like I could do with a new hobby, and figured I'd give straight razor shaving a serious go in the week of New Year's eve. It kind of felt like a New Year's resolution of sorts.

I ordered a Thiers Issard 6/8 full hollow that I liked the look of from Simon at Gentleman's Blade, not really sure how long it would take to turn up - most of New Zealand had forgotten about work in the week following Christmas. It turned up the following day (NY's eve), honed and ready to go, along with a basic leather strop. I had finished work early and had some time on my hands, so figured I'd get right into it.

That first shave was pretty awkward from start to finish.

I'd watched some Youtube vids and felt like I had the general idea, but since I didn't have proper shave soap and a brush I figured I should be able to make do with the Doctor Bronner's soap that I'd been using recently for shaving (first. BIG. mistake). I would usually wash my face, then rub this stuff around on my stubble, then rub it around some more to foam it up a bit. The problem with this approach here was that the soap dried too quickly on my skin, especially considering the amount of extra time everything was taking, which didn't give it any desirable cushioning or lubricating properties. I had to keep wetting my hand and rubbing it over the area I was shaving to try and get some sort of slipperiness going on. My first attempt was to shave WTG on my cheeks - I figured if I could pull that much off, I'd be doing okay on this first shave and would just do the rest with my usual razor. I realise now that I wasn't holding the blade at a shallow enough angle to cut without tugging at the hair, which was frustrating me at the time. What with this, and the fact that I had to keep drying off my hands after wetting my face to try to lube up the soap before picking up the razor again, plus the fact I started to be unsure if I was holding the razor quite like the video showed me (I wasn't; no wonder it felt so awkward), I basically managed to just make the stubble slightly less stubbly on my cheeks (and give myself a pretty good slice on the right cheek as a bonus). I had a halfhearted go at a couple of other spots but the tugging feeling, plus the fear, was getting the better of me.

I finished off the shave with my old razor, with a higher level of respect for fellas who shave daily with these than before I started.

For the record, on this first shave I didn't strop the razor before using it. I figured it was good to go, since Simon hones and strops these prior to sending, and the TI instructions that came with the razor said not to strop it until after the first few shaves anyway.

Shave #2: 2nd January 2015

This shave was a definite improvement on the first, but that in itself isn't really saying much.

I'd told my girlfriend about my plans to finally take up straight shaving just after ordering my razor, and she was thoughtful and generous enough to buy me some TI shave soap and a Vulfix Super Badger brush from the same outfit I bought the razor from as an early birthday present - so these items pretty much turned up straight away, too. While researching what to get, she figured out that this weird porcelain contraption she bought ages ago from a thrift store was in fact a shaving scuttle, so I ended up with the whole set-up:

$photo.JPG

I watched a Youtube video of how to lather using the scuttle, and duly warmed it up and filled it with warm water. The guy in the video put his DE razor in the scuttle with his brush to warm it up, and without questioning whether this was applicable to my straight razor or not I dunked the straight in there too and left it for a few minutes while I washed my face in warm water. The result: some not-so-nice water staining near the heel of the blade.

This would bother me and creep into my thoughts often for the next couple of days. I felt like I had just committed a major faux-pas, and to be honest I don't feel completely comfortable sharing it with you now.

Anyway, back to the shave. The guy in the scuttle video squeezed heaps of the water out of his brush before getting to work on the puck. I found this got me nowhere, and I experimented with letting more water stay on the brush. In the end I decided that just giving it a quick shake before hitting the soap did the trick; not too sloppy but still effective at getting some foam. I whipped up the lather some more in a warmed mug. I have to say, I felt like I was way ahead on shave #1 just after lathering up my face with the brush: this was feeling like progress.

I tackled my cheeks WTG as before with slightly better results. The lather was definitely helping. I used shorter, quicker strokes, but retrospectively think my blade angle was still not shallow enough. I also wondered if I should have gone to work for longer on the lather - but that part of things was going infinitely better than the first attempt. I had a go at my neck and chin too, but found getting into the coarse, dense chin hair to be challenging (now I believe this was largely due to my technique, especially blade angle and confidence) and only really managed to get it reduced rather than shaved. I was having trouble figuring out how to grip the razor for my neck too. My hair grows in weird directions there, and I don't think I'd mustered enough conviction to use the sort of deliberate strokes I needed. Anyway, I finished the shave as per last time with my old razor and left it at that.

Shave #3: 4th January

This time I figured I'd have a go at stropping the razor. The leather strop is all I have at this stage, so I did some slow strops on that in the X pattern using the method described elsewhere on this site. I did about 50 passes.

I made lather as per last time, although for this shave it took me less time to get the water ratio about right. I'd been reading about cold water shaving, which I remembered doing years ago because it irritated my skin less with the cartridge razor. This time around I figured I would cold water wash my face, then apply warm lather.

As per shave #2, I shaved WTG, but felt more comfortable doing more of my face and definitely did a better job with the closeness on my cheeks. This time around I made more of an effort to switch hands when working the other side of my face, and paid more careful attention to the grip I was using. This helped. I still have trouble on the neck area, but have since read up on some hand positions I hadn't considered that might make it easier on the next attempt. I didn't cut myself at all this time, which I also considered progress (I feel I have to give myself credit for whatever I can here, considering how slow and steep my learning curve seems to be heading). Considering how patchy my results are still so far, I again finished off with the old razor - this has actually become a hated part of the ritual, as I've noticed how much more that sucker SCRAPES my face that the straight, even though the straight still kind of psychologically scares me. I'm not sure if the temperature of the water I used made much difference, to be honest.

Interlude: time alone with razor on 4th January in the afternoon.

The water spots on my blade were still nagging at me. I'd had a go at polishing them out with toothpaste (I read about that somewhere), but it didn't really shift anything. I went and bought some Autosol, which I'd read good things about, and got to work polishing the blade. That stuff did a pretty good job, and now it's barely noticeable. It lightened up the etching a little, but not in a way that I mind. I wondered afterwards whether my polishing (circular along the blade length) might have gotten close enough to the edge to mess with it. I've become slightly paranoid about dulling that edge due to my lack of expertise. I spent the rest of this chunk of spare time practicing my stropping. I think I'm getting better at it. So far I only have a couple of tiny nicks in the leather at the end where I hold it, owing to some clumsy moments.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far, and sorry that I jammed three entries into one long post like this. I'll add more as I continue. In spite of some of these mishaps, I am enjoying myself and looking forward to my next shave! Any feedback, comments or criticism would be warmly welcomed.

Josh

Hey Josh, it sounds like you are off to an outstanding start. Much of straight shaving is exactly as you describe, beard reduction with each pass. I am only 50 shaves into my journey, so I am by no means a veteran straight user. But, I have some recent experiences as a beginner that have helped me that I will share with you. Do not feel at all bad with having to finish the shave off with another method. I did this for two weeks during the work week so that I had an acceptable shave to take to work. On the weekends I would use the straight only, and my shave would take forever as I incorporated new techniques to my repertoire during these times. Just as soon as you can get away with it, transition to straight shave only. This really sped up my learning as each day was spent evaluating the result every time I put hand to face (I work in an office), and almost subconsciously revising my technique for the next shave.

Since you are predisposed to sensitive skin, the straight razor will likely diminish this. But only once you have applied proper technique/angle/pressure to the shave. Getting there might result in some irritation along the way due to improper technique. One inexpensive treatment that others have found to be helpful is to pre-treat your beard with Noxema, then put your lather right on top of it. I prefer the Prorasso Pre/Post Shave treatment to Noxema from a scent and experience standpoint, but in the U.S. the cost of Proraso is a lot more expensive. I have not noticed any difference between the two with respect to function.

Lastly, that is one really cool scuttle. Tell your girlfriend that you will give her as many straight razor leg shaves as she wants, once you become proficient enough to do so.

Edit: P. S. This is your journal, so putting things in it that will help you upon reviewing it is the order of the day. If you need to capture everything in detail, then by all means do so. If brevity is called for, be brief. This is here to help you with your journey, as long as you are not breaking any forum rules in the process.

Edit: P. P. S. I personally do not know the retailor that you purchased the razor from, nor do I know how shave ready that it was when it came to you. Keep in mind that "shave ready" is always a relative term that is very subjective. I have received some very fine shave ready razors that were a dream to shave with, and others I had to make improvements on so that they were comfortable even WTG. If the honemeisters here shaved with my best "shave ready" razor, they could probably make significant improvements to it. Remember, it is a poor craftsman who blames his tools for a bad result. So I am not implying that there is anything at all wrong with the edge on your razor. But as you continue your journey, keep this in the back of your mind. You might want to reach out to any honemeister members in your locale if there are any. It could not hurt to at least get to know them, and they might be willing to meet and evaluate your razor if they are close enough. Your retailors description sounds like they are honing them correctly to a shave ready state, but in my short experience this can be all over the map.

Last edited:
Thanks McVeyMac, I'll look into pre/post skin treatment options. I'd even wondered about shaving with oil, as some people do, but don't want to go making such drastic changes to my routine this early on.

Good tip re the blade edge. I'll look further into that, but in the meantime if any honemeisters out there live in or near Wellington city, NZ, it'd be great to make contact! I wonder whether my clumsy efforts at shaving or stropping may have dulled it at all from new. I bought a vintage razor last week that seems to be in very good shape, so I'd like to get that honed up ASAP to use as a comparison at this point in the journey.

It's also a really great looking brush!

I would also suggest reading a lot here and asking questions before trying new stuff that might not be useful or could actually be outright detrimental.

I am a cold water shaver - I find that it helps me with the irritation. I've not tried warm/hot water with straight shaving for a side-by-side comparison, but I enjoy cold water shaving so much that I don't really feel the need to. Try doing your whole routine with cold water (unless you include a shower in your routine!) and see how you get on.

Good idea Effy, I might try going all cold next time around. Thanks for the advice and tips guys; much appreciated. Last night I got another shave in.

Shave #4:

This time around I felt like I was getting more of a feel for the process. I'm getting better at having things set up where I need them to be, and am doing a less messy job. I stropped the blade 50x on my leather strop, which I am also starting to feel more coordinated at. I whipped up some good lather. I went back to a warm wash, put a warm towel over my beard for about a minute and got into it.

I'm getting pretty good on the cheek area now. This time I held the razor at a much closer angle and it made a tidier job of it. I think I should try the alum block trick to get better grip on the skin that I'm trying to stretch - I find it hard to pull it well on areas of my face that have been lathered. I have gone to wiping, rather than rinsing the blade. It's nice to see bits of stubble ending up on the cloth with the lather!

I'm still trying everything WTG for now. I end up making a few passes WTG on my chin to try and reduce the stubble, rinsing and re-lathering in between each. I caused some slight irritation by doing probably too many passes - I was wondering also if maybe my blade was getting a bit dull towards the end of the shave too. I was at it for quite a while experimenting with different blade angles.

I need to take a closer look at some of the videos here for tricks for the neck area. My beard kind of grows on a diagonal downwards to the centre, and even does a bit of a swirl on the right side towards the middle, so shaving straight up or down feels more like going XTG. Still, this time around I removed the most stubble to date, leaving much less to tidy up with the other razor - mainly around the edges of the chin and patches on my neck. I think the day will be approaching soon when the patchiness will be minimal enough to ditch the cartridge one (point taken - the sooner I get rid of it altogether, the better). I had a few minor nicks in not-too-obvious places - again, I think this is the result of too many passes using my still almost certainly crude technique.

I'm enjoying it more and more, and am looking forward to the next shave, which I'll probably do tomorrow morning (it takes me ages, so I've been doing it in the evenings when I have more time, but tomorrow I have a later start).

Don't worry too much about the edge of the razor unless it is tugging leally hard on your cheek WTG passes. It sounds like it is cutting fine. Focus on low angle, technique and short repeating strokes accross the area you are shaving.

Shave #5

I stropped my razor for maybe 100 laps the night before. I was only planning on doing 50, but became kind of hypnotised by it. I have a better feel for just letting the weight of the blade do the work now, I think.

I'd been eyeing up the jar of coconut oil in our kitchen cupboard and wondering how it might go as a pre-shave oil. I caved in this morning and gave it a go. I did the whole routine cold this time - face wash, lathering, etc., and put a light coating of the coconut oil on my face just before brushing on the lather. I could tell in the first couple of strokes that it wasn't any good - it gave a gummy feeling of resistance against the blade. I washed it all off and started again. It might work better on skin that is really warmed up, but I'm not interested in trying it again.

Otherwise, this was my best shave yet. I'm getting closer to the right blade angles on different parts of my face, and did much better work on my neck and chin area today. Everything was still WTG. The denser chin hair seems to require a bit more conviction than I was giving it earlier on; short, deliberate strokes seem to be the way to go. By the end I was just left with a more stubbly patch on the chin and jawline. If I didn't have to work today I would have just left it, but figured it was no big deal to do a quick tidy up with my other razor. I'm using both my dominant and non-dominant hand to shave. Part of the progression has been getting a sense of which hand should work certain areas and at which angle/direction. I think I'm also getting better at stretching the skin - I underestimated at the start how important that is.

Another thing that I found good was taking ten to fifteen seconds to stop what I was doing, put the razor down and evaluate where I'd gotten to mid-shave. Taking a quick breather like that made me feel a bit calmer through the rest of the shave.

I finished with just one nick on the left cheek, which was superficial enough to stop bleeding pretty quickly, and minimal to no skin irritation. I think as I'm shaving more off with each stroke of the blade (compared to my first time), I'm not needing to do as many passes over the skin with my less-than-forgiving technique. I'm really happy with how things are coming along though! This shave felt like progress, and I feel like being able to shave passably (at least WTG) in one go is just around the corner. I found a supplier of Proraso who also sells alum blocks pretty cheaply, so have ordered both. When they turn up I might have a go at doing the next shave with warm water again, for the sake of comparing it.

Thanks again for your tips, encouragement and reassurance!

Josh

You are off to a great start. No worries doing a cleanup with another known razor, especially in the early stages. But, I found that once I could get away with going straight razor only during the work week, my learning expanded significantly. During the day when I would be feeling my face, I would be evaluating the shave. Almost subconsciously, I would be devising approaches to deal with the problem areas. It has been pretty much constant improvement ever since. This took two weeks with a DE cleanup for me, using straight only on the weekends. I probably cheated a little because our Thanksgiving break was during this time, so I got a little more straight shave only time when the result didn't matter in that two week period.

The point is, as soon as you can get away with it, go with the straight only. Your learning will get much faster.

My Proraso and alum block turned up today. This evening I had a go at shave six.

I'd gotten in some stropping the night before, but stropped the razor 30 or so passes for good measure.

I washed my face, set a hot towel on it for a minute or so, then rubbed some Proraso over my beard. It was tinglier than I expected. I whipped up some warm lather with the TI soap and scuttle and brushed it onto my face. I felt like things were off to a good start.

My first pass was WTG as usual. I managed a couple of small nicks, and might have opened up some from the last attempt that hadn't fully healed. The alum block is handy, and did a good job of controlling the weeping.

One thing I've been noticing is that by the time I get to my chin, the lather is starting to dry out on my skin. I often have to moisten it with some water on my fingers, then brush a bit more lather on there. Is this maybe an issue with the soap I'm using? I'm wondering if this is a characteristic that varies across soaps and creams.

I also managed to get a nick on my left finger, through a careless moment handling the razor. That'll teach me!

Despite quite a few crimson patches, I was feeling pretty good about the amount of stubble I had reduced, so thought I'd go for it and have a go at a second pass XTG. I rinsed off, re-Prorasoed and relathered before picking up the blade for another go. This went better than I thought, although I still freak out slightly trying to get my blade angle right around the jawline. I had the realisation too that maybe I was trying a little too hard to get rid of most of the stubble on the first WTG pass, and irritating my skin in the process. Quite a bit more came off on this pass.

Despite there being several weepy spots on my face now (I got a touch eager in places), I rinsed off and went through the prep and relathering process and had a go at a few passes ATG - I only really managed this on my cheeks; elsewhere the blade would skip around a bit and scare me. Getting the reverse grip needed for these strokes will take some figuring out.

By the end of the shave I had gotten rid of more beard than I had managed to on any other attempt, to the extent that I DIDN'T FINISH WITH MY OLD RAZOR! That makes this officially my first complete straight shave. There's a couple of patchy bits, but not bad enough for me to feel too self-conscious about them. I rinsed in cold water, rubbed the alum block over the now kind of reddened and angry looking skin on my face, then applied some Lush Cosmetic Lad moisturiser and a bit more Proraso for good measure. I feels like my skin is calming down a lot as I type this.

The more that you can get away with a straight only shave, the quicker your learning will come. Today you will evaluate your shave and devise ways to make it better tomorrow. Keep in mind that you need a wetter lather with a straight than with a DE. Just when you think it is perfect, add some water.

I feel like I've got my prep pretty well dialed in now. I'm relathering during the shave, and find the scuttle useful for getting the brush a little wet and getting the right kind of consistency to the lather on my face.

I also found I was getting better feeling strokes by feathering the razor gently back and forth, using short strokes and keeping contact with the skin as I worked on areas.

Those were the good points. Otherwise, I felt like this shave was not as good as earlier attempts in terms of beard reduction. In particular, I was having a real hard time on my chin again; despite real care with blade angle and pressure, I just couldn't get very far with reducing the stubble there. I think I might have some issues with the actual razor at this point. I took a closer look at it and it appears I have slightly rolled the edge just where the curve starts at the tip (not sure what the technical name for that end of the blade is). And it doesn't seem as sharp as it was (not cutting hair on my forearm as smoothly as at the start - a crude test, I know, but it seems to point towards something). I'll look into getting it honed to fix the nick and hopefully get it back to shave ready - I'd like to know for sure how much of my struggles with the process are due to the equipment!

My face could do with a few days break, in any case, and I'm about to go on holiday so don't mind being stubbly for a bit.

Equipment is always a question for beginning. That is why it is so important to have something shave ready at the start. You might try to source another inexpensive shave ready razor so that you have one to compare to when you are questioning the equipment.

I spent a week away on holiday, during which time my razor was off getting honed to tidy up the edge. I sent away a vintage Torrey razor that I cleaned up to get honed at the same time. In the interim I had a shave or two with my old cartridge razor, which was pretty unsatisfying, so I just let the stubble grow out a few days. Both razors arrived back this week, so the other night I had a shave again with the TI. I look forward to trying the Torrey soon too and seeing the difference the narrower blade makes (pretty sure it's 5/8").

The shave was much improved after the edge had that touch up, which was reassuring, especially around the chin area. I had far less irritation at the end too. I nicked myself a couple of times, but knew immediately what I had done wrong as it happened, which I think will help with learning to avoid those slip-ups in future shaves.

The neck and just under my chin are areas that I will need to keep putting work into. These areas were still pretty stubbly at the end, although I really just did one pass WTG, and if I had more time I would probably have shot for another pass. I have gotten into face lathering now, adding more lather as I go and using the hot water in the scuttle to keep a good amount of moisture in the brush as I re-lather. I haven't tried and cold water shaves again; I think I enjoy the feeling of warm water and lather on my face too much at the moment to go back to it.

I'm off on another trip with my mountain bike this week, and don't have the time on my hands to shave with the straight, so I'm going to cultivate a week's worth of stubble to deal with when I get back.

By the time I got back from my holiday I had a decent week's worth of coarse stubble to deal with. The itchiness of it all was bothering me, so on the evening we got back (28th Jan) I got everything ready and had a go with the J.R. Torrey razor that I just got back from getting honed. This was my first try at shaving with a razor other than my 6/8 TI that I have been using so far. It has a narrower blade (5/8 I reckon) and a square point at the tip.

I liked shaving with this razor. It was by no means the closest shave I've had, but in fairness there was a LOT of stubble to get through and the blade seemed to be doing an admirable job. I need to be careful with that tip; it bit me a few times, especially around the neck where I'm still practicing different strokes that sometimes just use some of the blade. The narrower diameter made working around my upper lip much easier. I did one full pass WTG, then lathered up again and had a go at a XTG pass. A bit half-hearted on that second one - in the end I did an ok job but was still pretty stubbly around the chin. after the shave I did about 20 laps on my new linen strop and 50 or so on the leather.

Shave 10 was two days later, just now. I feel like I had a kind of breakthrough on this one. I went back to the TI, which is feeling much sharper than it was previously. One pass WTG and one XTG, by the end of which I had accomplished a passable (i.e., no need for touch-ups) shave that I'm rather proud of in terms of closeness. I felt much more confident with my strokes, which I was performing quicker and with a more deliberate manner. Much more stubble was coming off with each pass. I did a couple of good ATG strokes south to north up my chin, which dealt with the patches I was struggling to reduce earlier.

I did this shave straight after coming home from the pool, which was interesting. I've just gotten into swimming, and found that especially today when I got home my skin was really dry (from being pickled in the chlorinated water). I got several very superficial cuts during this shave, which didn't affect the end result too much - but I'm sure they were in part caused by the lack of moisture in my skin. My lather was drying faster than usual, and after the shave I ended up putting on about 3 times as much moisturiser (the Lush Cosmetic Lad stuff I've been using all this time) because it just kept disappearing. I'm thinking that if I do this again (shave after swimming) I might be wise to wash well and moisturise at the pool before I get home.

After this shave I polished out some water marks that were appearing on the blade (light buff with Autosol), then did 20 laps on linen and 70 on the leather strop.

Despite the nicks and scrapes, today felt like real progress. Much less skin irritation than following previous attempts too - I suspect due to the reduced number of passes over the same areas.

Hi Strangehat and welcome to the straight razor journey. I just found your journal and am looking forward to following along with you.

I am 30 shaves into my own learning curve and by no means an expert but wanted to share a couple of learning points I picked up that might be of help.

Earlier in your progress (around Shave 4-5), you described re-applying ProRaso before relathering for multiple passes. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to prep and lather your face. That said, I usually only ProRaso once and relather with just soap. If you find that it is more pleasant or effective to reapply ProRaso, by all means.

You said something around Shave 6 that I thought was profound - straight shaving is about removing a LITTLE of your beard with each pass, getting progressively closer to removing all of it. Keep the pressure light! It sounds like you've done a great job working out blade angle, stropping technique and pre-shave prep. Lighter pressure will still cut hair but reduce irritation.

Like I said, welcome and I look forward to following along! Also, good username - nice to see another cyclist around here.

Thanks Tacetman, appreciate the wisdom. Re the Proraso, since then I went back to just putting it on at the start. I've gotten better at adjusting moisture and lather with my brush and scuttle as I go, and the skin feels better lubricated for it (except as in the last attempt, when it was parched from the swimming pool!).

Now that the blade is sharper I find lighter pressure is doing the job better, good to be reminded of this. Confidence and blade angle are things that seem to be getting a little better with each attempt.

Thanks for reading!

Equipment is always a question for beginning. That is why it is so important to have something shave ready at the start. You might try to source another inexpensive shave ready razor so that you have one to compare to when you are questioning the equipment.

You're right - it is great to have more than one on hand. Now that I have two that are both freshly honed and shave ready, I feel more confident in having a backup that can serve as a reference point.

I've become a sucker for searching out antique razors on auction sites and antique stores, and have a few gems as a result that are on the way to getting restored...

You are quickly being overcome by SRAD!! ...outstanding :)

Yeah, I can't seem to help myself. Fortunately, they seem to be fairly inexpensive to pick up here. The last couple were NZD$14.50 and $22 and in really great shape. However, I have a feeling that I'll be wanting to get some honing gear in the near future, and THAT looks like an expensive hobby.

Anyway, tonight's shave (I'm still doing this mainly in the evening so that I don't need to rush) went along in a similar fashion to #10. Same prep and TI razor. I got a few tiny weepers in similar places to last time, so I wonder if the skin there is still on the mend. It has been hot and dry here, and while I don't usually feel the need to moisturise my face often I've found myself needing to the last couple of days. Trips to the pool, even if not on a daily basis, seem to compound this.

I did a full WTG shave, followed by XTG. This time around I figured out a much better angle for going XTG on my chin (kind of sweeping diagonally down towards the centre from above the stubble) and reduced the stubble way more there as a result. I have started doing some ATG strokes on my upper lip at the end of the shave, as this gives the best result in terms of getting presentable stubble reduction without being uncomfortable. As with last time, I also did a few ATG strokes up on to the persistently stubbly areas on my chin.

Once again I managed a presentable shave without needing to reach for the cartridge razor, and I really think I'm going to be able to shave just with the straight from here on in. :001_smile

I feel like I'm getting pretty good at shaving the right side of my neck, but the hollow just lateral to my trachea on the left side is still proving to be awkward. I'm confident that I'll figure out how to replicate the skin stretch and angles I'm using on the right side, but for now it hasn't quite come together. I'd also like to get through a shave without opening up the skin in as many places. Most of these nicks are tiny enough that they stop pretty quickly, but still... I have been mindful of using very light blade pressure - maybe I'll not shave for a few days and get some good skin care going on, to let it settle a bit. Overall, I'm finding SR shaving to be a less frustrating experience than when I started a month ago though!

Top Bottom