What's new

My shaving journal

Thanks for the nice comments guys! The title of this post looks like it should belong to a beginners course in wet shaving...

Pre wash: Nivea sensitive face wash
Pre-shave: Proraso green
Razor: Feather AC SS with Pro Super blade (2)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger
Soap: TOBS Jeremyn cream, bowl lathered
Passes: 2: WTG, XTG (chin), ATG (everywhere else), one additional XTG on the sides of the chin.
Post-shave: Floid Suave splash, TOBS Jeremyn PSB

Just a so-so shave today. A little closer than yesterday's with just a small nick on the adam's apple. It's funny how when I first tried the TOBS cream it felt amazing to me, whereas now I find I much prefer the soaps I have. It's soothing and nice on the skin, but it doesn't have the same slickness as my MWF is getting.

I think I am developing a preference for the Pro blades in the AC over the Supers. But I'm still not 100% sure.

My girlfriend ran out of disposable razors that she uses for her underarms. She tried doing it with a straight earlier on in the year and wasn't so in to it (whereas she took to using one on her legs like a fish to water), but today grabbed my DE and liked it enough to swear off buying disposables ever again. I think I'll keep an eye out for a less aggressive one than my Fatip for her to use. Maybe a nice TTO. They seem to pop up often enough on auction sites for cheap.

Today I had less time on my hands so I figured I'd shave my face with the DE (Fatip Grande). I have had very little practice with this thing on my face, mainly using it on my head so far. I also face lathered with the MWF to save time.

The lathering worked well, and the shave... well, it was quick, but I should know better than to rush with a very aggressive razor that I'm still building familiarity with. It shaved close without any irritation, but I did end up with quite a few weepers on my neck and right chin.

Despite that, I think I'm going to practice with this one a little more often. I can see the potential for very quick, close shaves with it (versus the shavette, although really I might just end up saving myself something like 5 minutes, so it's probably more about expanding my skill set). For the record, I used an Astra SS blade that had already done a lap of my head. I figure it might still be good for one more shave.

I never intended to abandon my DEs when I started learning the straight, I just have not gotten back to them yet. I think that one reason is that I am still learning about edges and honing. I guess I feel like I am about 50% of the way there with respect to straight razors.but if I am in a hurry, I would not hesitate grabbing the DE.

I didn't intend to leave DEs behind either, but like you guys I've been almost strictly using straights since starting two months ago--I've used my r41 2.5 times (.5 because I did a one pass to be acceptable for work on a really tight time schedule) and I also used a GEM SE once that came in a passaround box right around the time I started straights. As others have mentioned, I can see a place for DEs (very quick shaves when on a tight turn around), but I can't see myself going back to them regularly. maybe that will change, but at the moment I'm enjoying the challenge and quality of shave with the straights. My r41 is lonely too and while it holds a special place in my Den, I can't say I haven't toyed with the thought of PIFing it too...

I think for me, having never used DEs previously and historically shaving just with cartridges once or twice a week, DEs are another new experience for me. I'm pleasantly surprised by how nice they can feel on my face, and am curious to see what they are capable of now. I think a serious stint of practicing with it might be on the agenda soon. I like the idea of being accomplished in both.

Today I was back on the AC:

Razor: Feather AC SS with Pro Super blade (3)
Soap: Tabac, bowl lathered
Passes: 2: WTG, XTG (chin), ATG (everywhere else), one additional XTG on the sides of the chin.

I changed my mind on using Proraso Green soap at the last minute. We're having some chilly mornings here at the moment and the thought of all that menthol was a bit much. DFS+ with a few weepers - nothing like yesterday though. I'm not loving that Super blade this time around. It felt rough in places on my skin today, but that could be due to it not recovering fully from yesterday's work.

Last edited:
Razor: Feather AC SS with Pro Super blade (4)
Soap: Proraso sandalwood cream, bowl lathered

Results: CCS to DFS mostly, but fortunately no cuts or weepers. I have no idea what is up with this particular Super blade, but I don't feel like it has shaved well on any of its four outings so far. Today's lather was excellent and very slick - I'm enjoying the Proraso sandalwood cream when it's up in the rotation at the moment - so I'm not going to blame that. There's just too much tugging even in the WTG pass regardless of angle. Maybe it's a dud? I'm going to retire it and move on to something else - some DE blades in the shavette, a Pro blade or, heavens forbid, maybe actually get some more shaves in with a real straight.

I did a full head shave with the DE last night, first time with no cartridge clean-ups. Third shave on the Astra SS blade, so it's probably done now - I do like these blades. I have a pimple or something like that on the back of my head that I wasn't aware of, which I mowed right over - that sucker bled a while, I'm telling you. Otherwise, I'm happy with how this area of my shaving education is coming along. I find 1-2 WTG passes gets the job done here; as long as it's even and consistent, I have no real desire to go for BBS on my scalp.

If you have a jewelers loupe or some magnification, you might want to look for micro rust on the bevel. Might be a dud. If there is rust, you might want to check the next one in the dispenser, and get a new dispenser from the vendor if it is rusted. I never tried the Pros, but from everything I have read that they are equivalent to Pro Supers except for the blade exposure.

No signs of rust as far as I can tell, and the next one in line looks good too. I read back through my entries and my experiences on the Pro vs Pro Super generally seem to be better, so maybe there is some factor at work that just makes them not the blades for me.

Just a quick update this time around as I've had a busy week. Shaves 104-6 were all with the Feather AC SS with a new Pro blade, which seems to be performing well. For today's shave I experimented with the lather and came up with a new concoction by mixing MWF and TOBS Jeremyn cream. It's freaking awesome, and if any of you have both of those products I can recommend trying it. The TOBS cream has a great silkiness to it and the MWF adds some backbone of lasting slickness that the cream somewhat lacks. The mixture is very enjoyable (and long lasting on the face) to use.

I also did a DE shave a few days back. I'm less enthusiastic about using it than the straights, but am interested enough in developing some technique with it to persevere. Things go pretty well until I go ATG under the chin (S-N pass), then I tend to end up with weepers. Part of the problem might be that the Feather blade I had loaded in it is too harsh for the Fatip, so I might try a milder blade in it.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have a mess of Astra SP, English Wilkies, Voskhod, GSB's, 7 o'clock black, and Ladas if you haven't tried them and want to.
That goes for you straight guys who still use a DE now and then. Just PM the necessary mailing info.

Thanks for the generous offer Marty. I do have a sampler pack with some other blades - Shark, Derby, Big Ben and Rapira. It's probably cheaper for me to work my way through those than get you to post blades to New Zealand! :001_smile

Today I made another hybrid lather, this time using MWF and Proraso Sandalwood cream, and went to work with the AC - 4th shave on the Pro blade. Another good lather, although I was careless and let the blade catch on my chin on a N-S WTG stroke. It was just a small nick though and otherwise quite a pleasant shave.

I'm thinking I'll go back to shaving on alternate days for a while. My skin seems to like it. Also, from here on in I'm going to take a break from detailing the minutiae of my shave routine. I might from time to time, but I'd prefer to just document how things are going in a more general sense.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Roger that! Heck. You're just on the other side of Houston!!
and I understand about the details.
Be safe!

I haven't been posting in my journal much as I wanted to commit a week or so to shaving with the DE, to allow myself an opportunity to get more familiar with it. Since I last posted I did get one shave in with my BBR shavette, so I'll note that as number 108 for the record.

I'm growing to like the Fatip Grande. So far my favourite blade in it is the Rapira platinum. It's currently loaded with an Astra SP, which is going great and seems to be lasting well too. I'm reluctant to try it with a Feather again - I think that combination is just too fierce for me. Having said that, my technique is definitely improving, so you never know.

I think I'm going to see out this week with the DE before I make up my mind whether to get back onto straights for a while.

Time for an update.

I think it's time to put this journal to bed. Not out of boredom with the journaling part - I have found that to be enormously helpful - but because I'm shaving daily with a DE these days instead, so there is less of a day-to-day progression to try to keep track of now. As I mentioned earlier, this is a recent thing for me, having arrived there from starting out straights, followed by shavettes, and I'm actually finding it works the best for me out of everything I've tried so far.

Since my last entry I got in another 3 shaves with the Feather AC SS before the blade showed signs of tiring, bringing my total up to 111. From now on I don't think it's important to me to keep track of my exact number of straight shaves, however. I still have plenty to learn with regards to technique, and a ton of progress still to make with honing, but I'm content to let this be something that I chip away at over the rest of my life. I'm sure at some stage the desire to regularly shave with a straight will resurface (and there may be a strangehat journal 2.0, who knows), but in the meantime it's probably just going to be the occasional thing for the sake of some variety.

I'll probably still make some SOTD posts from time to time, but these are more likely to appear in the BOTOC forum. I'm very comfortable with my Fatip Grande now and might add some more OC razors to the collection in the future.

A big thank you to everyone who contributed to this journal; you've made my journey into wet shaving all the more enjoyable and really helped me to learn a lot. Thanks to those who took the time to read it along the way too; I hope you managed to get something out of it.

Josh

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
It's been a blast, Josh! :thumbup1:

The door here is always open. Hoping you'll pop by every now and then and let us know what's up. But don't stop at DEs; go dig up an Injector somewhere. I'm totally in love with mine.

Top Bottom