What's new

My Favourite Tool

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I was just prepping an axe handle for a restoration I'm doing on a Sager felling axe. I was moved to share the tool I always use for things like that, from removing factory varnish so I can put on an oil finish, to shaping a piece to my personal preferences.

IMG_0759[1].JPG

The tool I mean is the one on the left, a Lee Valley/Veritas Flat Spokeshave. That one lives in a safe place, but gets lots of use. The one on the right is an older (but not vintage) Stanley. The Veritas has a sintered blade that is sharp enough to split an infinitive. The Stanley is the one I'll take out in the woods, or loan out.

The Stanley was my second spokeshave, after a no-name brand that would have qualified as a "Spokeshave-Shaped Object." That one is somewhere up in the weeds past the rock quarry behind the house -- I'm usually a patient man but that thing tried me severely. At that the Stanley wasn't ready to go out of the box, but after I lapped the sole and cap and put in a Veritas A2 replacement blade it got pretty darned good.

The Veritas spokeshave is a real joy to use. I use a spokeshave more than a plane. This one was a Christmas present from Mrs. Hippie. I had been on the fence between Veritas and Lie-Nielsen but decided I favor micrometer adjustments instead of bashing the iron with a hammer to line it up.

That's mine; what's your favourite tool?

O.H.

I was just prepping an axe handle for a restoration I'm doing on a Sager felling axe. I was moved to share the tool I always use for things like that, from removing factory varnish so I can put on an oil finish, to shaping a piece to my personal preferences.

View attachment 1687831

The tool I mean is the one on the left, a Lee Valley/Veritas Flat Spokeshave. That one lives in a safe place, but gets lots of use. The one on the right is an older (but not vintage) Stanley. The Veritas has a sintered blade that is sharp enough to split an infinitive. The Stanley is the one I'll take out in the woods, or loan out.

The Stanley was my second spokeshave, after a no-name brand that would have qualified as a "Spokeshave-Shaped Object." That one is somewhere up in the weeds past the rock quarry behind the house -- I'm usually a patient man but that thing tried me severely. At that the Stanley wasn't ready to go out of the box, but after I lapped the sole and cap and put in a Veritas A2 replacement blade it got pretty darned good.

The Veritas spokeshave is a real joy to use. I use a spokeshave more than a plane. This one was a Christmas present from Mrs. Hippie. I had been on the fence between Veritas and Lie-Nielsen but decided I favor micrometer adjustments instead of bashing the iron with a hammer to line it up.

That's mine; what's your favourite tool?

O.H.
You definitely get what you pay for!

Be well
Jay

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don’t appreciate a tool until I absolutely need one. This was the case trying to remove the threaded cast pipe cap of an old clean out. This beast of a pipe wrench was just waiting for the right job. A keeper!
View attachment 1687882

I wouldn't say a pipe wrench is my favorite, but it is in my top 5.

I use it for all sorts of stuck round things. My large one works great for removing rings to mason jars and lids on other jars that my other vintage jar opener won't do.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have a lot of favorite tools, but I get the most satisfaction breaking out my well sharpened Japanese chisel to mortise out hinges and lock sets.

My favorite tool was my 30’ x 30’ burn spot, lived in rural El Dorado County. We would take pine needles, cut back brush, cot low lying limbs on trees, put in big pile.

Lite on fire, burn pile was great tool to get rid of stuff you did not want around home in fire season.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Nothing sexy, but boy can adjustable channel lock pliers come in handy. Also, my bench grinder keeps gardening things sharp. I wish, however, I had gotten a handheld. The bench grinder was fine for sharpening the blade of the electric mower but is not the right tool for the reel type push mower. A solution is on the horizon. Every year I reduce my lawn by a couple of feet, expanding beds. It is now about the size of a big living room carpet. A few more years and it will be gone.

My favorite would be my table saw. After getting hit by a kickback on a table stop model I decided to get a hybrid saw. It's big enough for almost anything, but is on wheels so it can be moved into the corner of my small shop for storage. There's a world of difference between a light weight portable saw and a big cast iron one.

@Old Hippie I've got the same Stanley. I used to use it quite a lot in my bow making days.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have 2.

Klein Lineman’s pliers. A decent electrician should be able to do 80% of his wiring with this one tool. This is my most recent pair. I’ve probably had 4-5 pair over the past 25yrs. I’ve burned up 1-2 pair and lost the others in moves or after loaning them to friends.
IMG_2044.jpeg

Estwing 22oz framing Hammer. I’ve had this one 30yrs and have no plans on ever buying another framer.
IMG_2045.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a lot of favorite tools... Belknap wood handled hammers: 13, 16 and 20 ounce... lovely chisels, etc...

This is the best block plane I've ever used.. a Stanley 118 low angle block plane:

RS_Stanle118-3.jpg

I have several of the older versions... and 4 NOS more modern versions.... Stanley stopped making them in 1983.

Advice for keeping doves off of balcony edge.

I have a small bird feeder that attaches to a window over my balcony. Most of the birds are pretty small, but the doves will loiter on the balcony edge, which is made of wood, and poop all over it. Any thoughts on keeping the birds off the railing without scaring them away altogether?

I have a small bird feeder that attaches to a window over my balcony. Most of the birds are pretty small, but the doves will loiter on the balcony edge, which is made of wood, and poop all over it. Any thoughts on keeping the birds off the railing without scaring them away altogether?

Don't know what they are called exactly, but there are boards you can put up with spiky wire prongs that will keep the doves or pigeons from staying there. Might keep the other birds away as well though, if they have nowhere else to go near to the bird feeder.

Edit: Here's sort of an example of what I'm talking about. On the top of this public statue, spiky wire prongs have been added to keep pigeons from doing their thing all over the top of it. This can be applied to any surface to keep them away.

thumbnail_IMG_1361.jpg

Aesthetically, I kind of like it as it looks like this overly-serious medieval figure has sprouted antennae!

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

I've seen people use two or three strands of wire stretched taught between eye hooks about 2 inches above the rail. It keeps big birds away as they don't want their feet between stuff.
Also saw a piece of pvc pipe over another smaller pvc pipe as a kind of roller. Small birds can land but it's unstable for larger birds.
Unfortunately, if you have a feeder out, it will attract even undesirable birds (and likely squirrels and racoons if they can manage).

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
How many dove are we talking about? You could snare them one at a time until you have enough to make a meal. 😄

Top Bottom