What's new

Gradually getting closer to settling on my favourite inks

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I currently have twenty-five inks here, and fifteen of which won't be replenished if I finish them. Of the remaining ten, some are secure favourites, but I'm thinking of trying a few others before committing to the rest.

Blues:
Diamine Recency Blue, Sargasso Sea, and Deep Dark Blue won't be replenished. They're OK, and I will keep using them till they're gone, but I do prefer their Sapphire (1), Midnight (2) and Bilberry (3). I also have Twilight and Teal, and might replenish one of those (they are very similar inks), but it's far from certain that I'll get them again. I have been tempted to try something like Mediterranean Blue or Eau de Nil first. I like the idea of a lighter blue-spectrum ink, or something slightly off-blue, but many of them look like they may shade a little too much for my tastes. It's only just over a couple of quid for a 30ml bottle though, so not exactly a big extravagance if I don't like them.

Green:
Salamander and Deep Dark Green will be phased out. Only Sherwood Green (4) will stay. It's the perfect green ink for me. I'm not tempted to try any others at present either. Sherwood Green seems to hit that magic balance of being dark enough for general use, without being weary on the eye, yet still having sufficient contrast from anything else on the page.

Browns and Oranges:
Antique Copper and Blood Orange will phase out, leaving just Burnt Sienna (5) in the brighter of these colours. I love that ink, both in colour and performance. Particularly for contrast, instead of a red ink. Also, Chocolate Brown (6) will be bought again, but Macassar will not. I might possibly try another mid-brown, but I doubt anything will boot the Choccy B or Sienna out of the final array.

Purples:
Amaranth went down the drain some time ago. Far too pink. Even a splurge of Oxblood mixed in, wouldn't turn it around. Burgundy Royale hasn't won me over either, and nor has Violet or Deep Dark Purple. Only Grape (7) remains on the purples list so far, but I might try Majestic Purple for something with a little more contrast.

Reds:
Red Dragon (8)
easily beat Passion Red, and Oxblood (9) comfortably beat Writer's Blood too. Oxblood is great as a general use ink, but I might try something a little lighter than the Dragon for contrast use. Matador is a possibility. Poppy Red seems a little too variable across the sample pics I've seen.

All those are Diamine inks. Price, performance, and availability have stopped me straying further. They also perform similarly across all my pens too, and a different maker might not be as immediately compatible with how I have tuned my pens. I'm looking at sticking to their standard range, so I can gradually replenish them with the regular 80ml bottles, up from the 30ml ones I'm currently using. As such, I haven't browsed their periphery ranges. I'd just be paying more for a fancy bottle, which wouldn't nestle together as well in a drawer. Some inks will be kept in as cartridges too.

The only other ink I have in a bottle, is Quink Black (10). It really ought to be called Quink Very Dark Teal, or Quink Humbug (as in the sweets), but it does perform very well for me. I'm not sure I need a true black, and that 57ml bottle will last me a good while.

I'm not necessarily at the stage of wanting to actually ditch the ones that won't be replenished, but I may well do if I tire of trying to use them up. I'll likely be using them in pens with medium nibs rather than fine though, to try to gee them along a bit.

I like your list of favorites. Mine are also many of the Diamine inks. Like you said they are affordable even if you live in the US (I just buy them from UK vendors)

Blues:
Diamine Majestic Blue, Diamine Sapphire Blue, Waterman Serenity Blue

Green:
Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun, Diamine Sherwood Green, Diamine Salamander, Monteverde Jade Noir

Browns & Oranges:
Diamine Ancient Copper, Noodler's Brown, Diamine Sepia

Purples:
Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Monboddo's Hat, Diamine Imperial Purple

Reds:
Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Poppy Red

Blue - Blacks:
Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Diamine Registrars Blue-Black, Pelikan Blue-Black, Sheaffer Blue-Black,

Grays:
Diamine Earl Gray, Diamine Graphite

Blacks:
Noodler's Black, Diamine Onyx, Pelikan Black, Platinum Carbon Black

-Boris

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
In the practice of law I needed only two, a blue black (Pelikan) for signatures and note taking and a red (Waterman) for editing documents. Now the Pelikan suffices for letters, notes on the calendar, shopping lists, and the rare check. Maybe it is time to go back to school days and get sepia again!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I will keep using them till they're gone
Interesting - I do the same thing with aftershaves and colognes - I first use up the ones that I like the least. That means that for almost all the time I am wearing a scent that I do not particularly care for, while my favourites sit rarely used on the shelf. Makes no sense when you think about it 🤣 Anyway, I have three inks - Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Red, Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue, and Cross Blue Black. When I use up the Cross I will probably replace it with the Pelikan 4001 equivalent.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Interesting - I do the same thing with aftershaves and colognes - I first use up the ones that I like the least. That means that for almost all the time I am wearing a scent that I do not particularly care for, while my favourites sit rarely used on the shelf. Makes no sense when you think about it 🤣 Anyway, I have three inks - Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Red, Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue, and Cross Blue Black. When I use up the Cross I will probably replace it with the Pelikan 4001 equivalent.

I think you quoted that from the truer blues. There aren't any of those (Deep Dark Blue, Regency, and Sargasso) that I don't actually like, I just like the other three a little more, and three is enough choice for me. One mid-blue, one blue-black, and one purple leaning. I may add a lighter or blue-green though, if I find a nice alternative to teal and twilight.

Macassar, Writer's Blood, Burgundy Royale, Salamander, Blood Orange, Antique Copper, and the Cult Pens Deep Dark inks are similar, in that I've found alternatives I'd rather buy instead, but most are good enough to keep using for a while. I could dump them, and that may happen to some, but while ever they're not annoying me, I'll keep using them.

Teal, Twilight, Violet, and Passion Red are inks that I would definitely rather replace, but I do not yet know what with. This is where I still have some exploration to do. Once I find better alternatives for them, these are probably more likely to be dumped than used up.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In the practice of law I needed only two, a blue black (Pelikan) for signatures and note taking and a red (Waterman) for editing documents. Now the Pelikan suffices for letters, notes on the calendar, shopping lists, and the rare check. Maybe it is time to go back to school days and get sepia again!

Hardly anything I write with fountain pens, will be seen by anyone else. So I can have a bit of fun with it. Besides which, multiple colours can be useful for some lists, or working through anything with multiple perspectives. I do find myself using three inks on one topic quite regularly.

Beyond that, I don't want to be inundated with choice, but do want some scope for change should boredom creep in.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just placed an ink order for the two inks I only had in cartridges, but also wanted in a bottle. Plus, a cluster of new inks to play around with, to hopefully find replacements for those I am not entirely happy with.

20230406_061325.jpg

That's all waaaay too much ink for me, but they're all low cost, and I can cut back again, once I find what I'm looking for. Besides which, I wanted free shipping :biggrin1:

That's all waaaay too much ink for me, but they're all low cost, and I can cut back again, once I find what I'm looking for. Besides which, I wanted free shipping :biggrin1:
You can never have too much ink, just like there is no such thing as too much soap, blades..........:devil: I probably have ink that will last a few life times. I did watch a YT video of one guy testing how long a 50ml bottle of ink would last and it was a couple of thousand pages! Given that I have many decades of ink to go through. It is just so enjoyable with all those colors.

Just placed an ink order for the two inks I only had in cartridges, but also wanted in a bottle. Plus, a cluster of new inks to play around with, to hopefully find replacements for those I am not entirely happy with.

View attachment 1633381

I know that darn free shipping, gets me all the time🤣

Tom

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You can never have too much ink, just like there is no such thing as too much soap, blades..........:devil: I probably have ink that will last a few life times. I did watch a YT video of one guy testing how long a 50ml bottle of ink would last and it was a couple of thousand pages! Given that I have many decades of ink to go through. It is just so enjoyable with all those colors.

I do seem to get to a point of feeling overwhelmed, and earlier than Some others might. I do like options, but not too many. ;)

Some of my pens rattle through inks a lot quicker than others. Of course, choice of paper can make a difference too. In round numbers though, those 30ml bottles are roughly 60 refills each in most of my converters, or 30 times a Parker cartridge can be refilled with a syringe. Plus I have over 150 standard size cartridges in various colours. However, I do have two pens that only use carts. They're way too short in the body for converters to fit.

That order will take me up to 25 x 30ml Diamine bottles. I expect to get that down to 15 to 18 bottles pretty quickly, purely by virtue of knowing I'll never use X, now that I have Y. It may whittle down further thereafter, but slower. If I end up flushing pens early, because I'm really not enjoying that ink, there's a fair chance the rest of that bottle will be dumped shortly after

I do seem to get to a point of feeling overwhelmed, and earlier than Some others might. I do like options, but not too many. ;)

Some of my pens rattle through inks a lot quicker than others. Of course, choice of paper can make a difference too. In round numbers though, those 30ml bottles are roughly 60 refills each in most of my converters, or 30 times a Parker cartridge can be refilled with a syringe. Plus I have over 150 standard size cartridges in various colours. However, I do have two pens that only use carts. They're way too short in the body for converters to fit.

That order will take me up to 25 x 30ml Diamine bottles. I expect to get that down to 15 to 18 bottles pretty quickly, purely by virtue of knowing I'll never use X, now that I have Y. It may whittle down further thereafter, but slower. If I end up flushing pens early, because I'm really not enjoying that ink, there's a fair chance the rest of that bottle will be dumped shortly after
I agree it does get overwhelming sometimes. Too many options can very much lead to indecisiveness. I find myself very rarely refilling my pen with the same ink twice.

Just a comment though. You can always refill the cartridge in the cartridge only pens with an ink syringe. I do this frequently, especially on the smaller capacity pens like my Kaweco Sports. I even often fill my converters or just keep an old cartridge that way. I find that I can fill it fuller that way.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I agree it does get overwhelming sometimes. Too many options can very much lead to indecisiveness. I find myself very rarely refilling my pen with the same ink twice.

Just a comment though. You can always refill the cartridge in the cartridge only pens with an ink syringe. I do this frequently, especially on the smaller capacity pens like my Kaweco Sports. I even often fill my converters or just keep an old cartridge that way. I find that I can fill it fuller that way.

Absolutely, I do it frequently. I actually got some of the long format standard cartridges (Pelikan 4001) a while ago, specifically for that purpose. I haven't used one yet though.

I went down the ink rabbit hole and I came back out again. I settled on one ink that pleases me of each colour. The real challenge is finding your ideal green - the human eye and brain are extremely discerning with greens and only one shade will be right. For the most part I favour non-shading inks so they are easy to read, a slight chalky quality, and inks that are not fussy or hard to clean out of my pens.

These are the ones I landed on:

Graf von Faber Castell Midnight Blue
Diamine Prussian Blue
Aurora Black
Aurora Green
Diamine Graphite
Leonardo Sepia

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I went down the ink rabbit hole and I came back out again. I settled on one ink that pleases me of each colour.

I'm not quite at that level yet. :lol1: I want a few blues (plus Quink Black) for my primary pens, one dark-ish ink in each (non-blue) colour for the secondary pens, and a few different brighter/editing/contrast inks for the third group of pens.

The real challenge is finding your ideal green - the human eye and brain are extremely discerning with greens and only one shade will be right.

I nailed it (or got lucky) on the first try. Diamine Sherwood Green. That's definitely "my" green. I'm still trying to find a lighter blue-green that I'm happy with though. Hopefully one of those that's on the way will fit the bill.

Over a long period of time, I've settled on a stable lineup, which works for me but is not particularly colourful :p

## Iron Galls
Akkerman IJzer-Galnoten
Diamine Registrars
Hero No. 232
KWZ Blue No. 3
KWZ Blue No. 5
KWZ Blue Black
KWZ Turquoise
Montblanc Blue Black (vintage)
Montblanc Midnight Blue (vintage)
Platinum Blue Black
Rohrer & Klingner Salix

## Blacks
Aurora Black
Platinum Carbon Black
Iroshizuku Take-Sumi

## Blues
Iroshizuku Asa-Gao
Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire
R&K Dokumentus Dark Blue
Sailor Seiboku
Waterman Serenity Blue

## Browns
Sailor Jentle Doyou
Iroshizuku Yama-Guri

## Other
Robert Oster Fire Engine Red

I rarely use the non-permanent inks, but like to have them around anyway.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The new recruits have arrived.

20230411_085951.jpg

That'll keep me busy a while. So to recap, here's the groups I want to compare and pick favourites from.

IMG_20230411_101707.jpg

IMG_20230411_101649.jpg

IMG_20230411_101804.jpg

IMG_20230411_101724.jpg

I also might want to mix and match other comparison groups afterwards. For example, the sunset from the orange group with the reds, or the favourite lighter blue or teal, with the favourite darker blues and greens. Not a quick job, but I hope to whittle these 25 down to 10-12 that I would buy again, then of the rest, decide which I'm happy to use up, and which I should dump or give away.

20230411_102503.jpg

The new recruits have arrived.

View attachment 1636337

That'll keep me busy a while. So to recap, here's the groups I want to compare and pick favourites from.

View attachment 1636336

View attachment 1636340

View attachment 1636338

View attachment 1636339

I also might want to mix and match other comparison groups afterwards. For example, the sunset from the orange group with the reds, or the favourite lighter blue or teal, with the favourite darker blues and greens. Not a quick job, but I hope to whittle these 25 down to 10-12 that I would buy again, then of the rest, decide which I'm happy to use up, and which I should dump or give away.

View attachment 1636347
You have your work cut out to test all of those. I like them though. I have a few of the ones that you got. I have and like Teal and Eau de Nil. I have an order in for some more inks myself so I have some testing coming up myself.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You have your work cut out to test all of those. I like them though. I have a few of the ones that you got. I have and like Teal and Eau de Nil. I have an order in for some more inks myself so I have some testing coming up myself.

Teal and Twilight, which are actually quite similar, are just a little too "moody" for my liking. Particularly the Twilight. They are ones I'm hoping to replace, preferably with something a bit "happier", albeit similarly coloured. All I've done so far, is put a colour spot on the caps, to make storing them in the drawer a little easier to work with.

IMG_20230411_125348.jpg

I haven't yet decided how to test them though. Put one of each group in a different pen to use them at the same time? Just use the same two pens for each colour (one bold nib, one fine nib) over and over? Just leave them in the drawer, and randomly use one at a time over the next year or so in whatever pen happens to be available? Not decided yet.

Teal and Twilight, which are actually quite similar, are just a little too "moody" for my liking. Particularly the Twilight. They are ones I'm hoping to replace, preferably with something a bit "happier", albeit similarly coloured. All I've done so far, is put a colour spot on the caps, to make storing them in the drawer a little easier to work with.

View attachment 1636372

I haven't yet decided how to test them though. Put one of each group in a different pen to use them at the same time? Just use the same two pens for each colour (one bold nib, one fine nib) over and over? Just leave them in the drawer, and randomly use one at a time over the next year or so in whatever pen happens to be available? Not decided yet.
It is always difficult to test ink, since there are so many factors that come into play. The nib, feed, paper and much more. Unless you have several pens of the same kind and test them with the different inks it is hard to make a determination. The other way, which is more subjective in nature, is to just use the inks in different pens and see how you like it over an extended period. Yes it is not per say a comparative test between inks, but you will find out how well you like that particular ink.

Personally I do the standard ink test in an ink journal I have, but where the rubber meets the road is just using it. My workplace is very loose so I can use pretty much any ink I want. At work I have the most difficult paper to work with, which came as a surprise to me. It is my engineering notebooks National Brand 43-648 to be exact. Almost every ink I use with it will bleed through even though it is pretty substantial paper and feel, to the touch, like it would be ok. It is much worse than regular 20lb printer paper in my opinion.

Top Bottom