What's new

GC .84P plate or the Yates 921-M - Help me decide on my next step!

Questions
Backstory tl;dr - DE shaving for about two months, I find the GC 68 a little less efficient than i would like. So i have been looking for something slightly more efficient, and maybe a bit more steep angled. I have quite thick beard hair, but a bit sensitive skin.

The two products i have been eyeing:

The .84-p plate for my Game Changer
It seems sold out everywhere in europe, but looks like the natural progression from the GC 68. So an option would be waiting for the 84 plate to get restocked at a european store, at some point.

The Yates 921-M
I have been reading about steeper angle razors, which could lead to efficient yet somewhat mild shaves. This has lead me to the Yates 921-M. I cant really find a thread comparing it directly to the GC, but alot of people describe this as a very efficient, yet somewhat mild razor with a steeper shaving angle. This one is in stock at an EU store, but since i cant compare it to the GC im holding back a bit.

What would you experienced people recommend? - Should i just jump into the 921-M, or stick to the GC and wait for plate availability?

Do any of you own both the 921-M and the Game Changer and will compare them? (shaving angle, blade feel, efficiency)

Any other recommendations, are appreciated as well!

Backstory
Im a daily shaver and have been on/off for 6-7 years. I have somewhat sensitive skin, yet quite thick stubble and have been used to pulling and tugging myself through a shave with the mach 3 system.

I have had a handfull of wet shaves done throughout my life, most have been with shavettes and have been nice and irritation free, whilst feeling quite luxurious (hot towel, getting the lather painted on and so on.) They always resulted in nice and close shave. After trying to use a buddys shavette, doing a horrible crime to my face, i put off the idea to wet shave myself (this was a few years ago). However during a groceries trip about 2 months ago, i came across the King C Gillette, was intrigued as i had never tried a safety razor before, and decided to buy it. It was love at first shave, both the weight and shine of the tool, and the manuel way of keeping the correct angle to the skin. It made me feel like i was learning a new skill, whilst also getting rather nice shaves, I did get a few smaller cuts the first few shaves but overall the experience was really nice, and i was getting way fewer issues in a problem area, compared to the mach 3. So i jumped straight into it, buying a cheap synthetic brush, blade tester kit, alum, a cream and a soap.

About a month later i got tired of fighting a blade allignment issue my KCG had. I wanted something a bit more dependable, where i didn't need to spend a whole minute just aligning the blade right to get a nice shave. So i started looking into machined razors, and eventually purchased the Game changer .68-p from Razorock. To my surprice, it was made way nicer than i had expected, it shaves mild and somewhat efficient and it only took the first two shaves to find the approximate force and angle for it.

Having shaved with the GC for about a month however, i have started noticing that the shaves aren't as close as i would like on the first two passes (WTG & XTG), as it is leaving behind a bit of stubble in the areas where my hair is the closest (around the chin and jaw), also struggling to pick up the hair growing nearly parallel to my skin, without going completly ATG or buffing, resulting in me sometimes overshaving these areas or the GC digging in a bit, leading to irritation. I will note that i have tried a few different blades with similar results(Derby extra, Derby premium, Astra SP, King C Gillette blades, Feathers, Muhle, Wilkinson Sword) - Now back to my questions!

I'd suggest a few things before actually deciding on an upgrade.
As you seem to have been using a DE for only about two months, so I'd suggest doubling down on your technique by:
- Paying extra close attention to the angle you hold the razor at.
- Performing short strokes so you can keep an eye on the angle more easily.
- Try to flatten the affected areas if possible (e.g. bull-frog your chin, turn your had and tilt it down, stretch the skin a bit).
- Make sure your lather is hydrated enough.
- If you shave daily or every other day, you might be able to do straight from the first pass (that would be WTG or XTG) to a second pass ATG.
- Try a variation or two of the Gillette slide.

If you'd have no luck with that, try a shim or two between the base plate and the blade that's going to be doing the actual cutting. If that helps, then it's either money saved, or it's a .76 or .84 Game Changer base plate you'd want to grab.

I couldn’t use the .68 either - too mild. The .76 and .84 work well for me. They all have the same shave angle. If you want steeper, mild feeling but efficient get the Yates M and also add the H plate if possible. All great choices. If you buy something new stick with it. Good luck.

Reactions: ONB
I like you started out with the RR GC .68P and I also found it after a while to take a lot to get the result that I was after. I ended up getting the .84P plate and I do not look back. It is one of my favorite razors that I have. I still switch to the .68P plate for the first shave when using with a really sharp fresh blade, but then for the following shaves it is the .84P. I have not used the Yates razor so I cannot speak to that.

With a few months in, you have a good tool. I would suggest, as few other great members suggested...Focus on prep, technique, skills and consistency...be methodical and not haphazard..
Once you are consistent in your skills, minor changes ..maybe the blade, the soap, better prep...it will make your stubble softer and easier to execute...
Remember, the magic is in the magician...later the wand will find you..
Bfx..

Thank you all for the quick and helpful replys!

What i take away from reading your responses is that i probably dont need to invest in a new razor just yet, but instead focus on honing my skills with the gear i have. - Whilst also being on the lookout for an in stock gc 84-p plate ;)

Thank you all again, maybe there is a Yates razor waiting for me in the future.

With a few months in, you have a good tool. I would suggest, as few other great members suggested...Focus on prep, technique, skills and consistency...be methodical and not haphazard..
Once you are consistent in your skills, minor changes ..maybe the blade, the soap, better prep...it will make your stubble softer and easier to execute...
Remember, the magic is in the magician...later the wand will find you..
Bfx..

+2! Great advice!!

IME technique trumps most everything in ‘traditional’ wet shaving.

Having shaved with the GC for about a month however, i have started noticing that the shaves aren't as close as i would like on the first two passes (WTG & XTG), as it is leaving behind a bit of stubble in the areas where my hair is the closest (around the chin and jaw), also struggling to pick up the hair growing nearly parallel to my skin, without going completly ATG or buffing, resulting in me sometimes overshaving these areas or the GC digging in a bit, leading to irritation. I will note that i have tried a few different blades with similar results(Derby extra, Derby premium, Astra SP, King C Gillette blades, Feathers, Muhle, Wilkinson Sword) - Now back to my questions!

Lots of great thoughts here, adding mine...

I can't get a close shave unless I go ATG, regardless of how aggressive the razor. I was continually improving my technique for at least a year (and still am!), so at a couple months you probably have more improvement in store. Keep up the good work! One thing is to fully map out your grain to find even the small areas that have a different direction. Then when you truly go ATG everywhere, it works much better.

I found the GC 84p to be much better for me than the Yates 'Merica (which has the same specs as the 921-M). Because you're already used to the 68p and it would only cost you a plate, you may want to try the 76 or 84. That way you build on your experience with your current razor.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I say go with the RR Lupo 95 OC or the new Game Changer 1.05-P. That way you don't have to be bothered with learning technique. The razor will mow it down for you simply by dragging it across your face.

P.S. I'm not kidding or being facetious.

I have never tried the RR Gamechanger, but I do have the Yates 'Merica. It's a really good mild-to-medium razor that's easy to use (for me, anyway). Used it this morning, in fact. Really nice razor.

Top Bottom