What's new

Muhle STF XL - It is that good!

And finally the EJ STF XL today, from the 3 (Mühle, FS, EJ), this feels the biggest on the face. It is slighly less natural feeling compared to the other 2, has a very little springiness to it, but not as much as other synths, just in back to back comparison to the Mühle. It definetely has a good scrub when splayed completely. However, it is a little prickly when caught using the wrong angle, or just splayed halfway. Otherwise the tips are very soft. The handle is top notch, construction is the best of the 3, and it is a lather monster, it creates and holds huge amounts of quality lather with ease. If synths are boring to you, give the EJ a try, it definitely has presence.

1709985726015.png

And finally the EJ STF XL today, from the 3 (Mühle, FS, EJ), this feels the biggest on the face. It is slighly less natural feeling compared to the other 2, has a very little springiness to it, but not as much as other synths, just in back to back comparison to the Mühle. It definetely has a good scrub when splayed completely. However, it is a little prickly when caught using the wrong angle, or just splayed halfway. Otherwise the tips are very soft. The handle is top notch, construction is the best of the 3, and it is a lather monster, it creates and holds huge amounts of quality lather with ease. If synths are boring to you, give the EJ a try, it definitely has presence.

View attachment 1809289

Is the pictured EJ post-2020?
It kind of looks different to the post-2020 EJ synths I've seen.

SOTDTIBBFT9.jpg

Ti Blackbird / Perma-Sharp / Frozen Tundra / C&H STF XL / Proraso Green

I've used this brush now for a while and most recently for 9+ shaves in a row and have to say it has really grown on me and will definitely be a keeper to use for years to come!! I think the secret to why this one has worked out over the Shavemac/APShaveCo brush was the starting point with the Chisel & Hound handle having a larger inside diameter to start with. Thanks to @Rudy Vey for selling me the knot to put in this handle... Now I look forward to possibly getting in on the group buy and getting an @Rudy Vey complete brush!! Maybe that one can have the new plant fibre STF XL knot...

View attachment 1813934
Ti Blackbird / Perma-Sharp / Frozen Tundra / C&H STF XL / Proraso Green

I've used this brush now for a while and most recently for 9+ shaves in a row and have to say it has really grown on me and will definitely be a keeper to use for years to come!! I think the secret to why this one has worked out over the Shavemac/APShaveCo brush was the starting point with the Chisel & Hound handle having a larger inside diameter to start with. Thanks to @Rudy Vey for selling me the knot to put in this handle... Now I look forward to possibly getting in on the group buy and getting an @Rudy Vey complete brush!! Maybe that one can have the new plant fibre STF XL knot...
Did I miss something? The Shavemac handle that AP Shave Co installs the 25mm STF into is 2mm wider than the Mühle Classic XL's handle.

Did Rudy specify yet a wider handle, or did he go (for example) for the standard 56mm loft?

Reporting on my Shavemac/STF combo, it's still breaking in (about 15 shaves). My stock Mühle took a while to splay as easily as it does now. I didn't keep a log so I'll enjoy the new one on its own terms until it does. The two are very close as of now.

... Thom

Reactions: Kix
Did I miss something? The Shavemac handle that AP Shave Co installs the 25mm STF into is 2mm wider than the Mühle Classic XL's handle.

Did Rudy specify yet a wider handle, or did he go (for example) for the standard 56mm loft?

Reporting on my Shavemac/STF combo, it's still breaking in (about 15 shaves). My stock Mühle took a while to splay as easily as it does now. I didn't keep a log so I'll enjoy the new one on its own terms until it does. The two are very close as of now.

... Thom
Rudy sets the STF XL knot in a handle that has a 25mm inside diameter, the APShaveCo I think was 26mm I.D., and my C&H was 27.5mm I.D. and think that was what made the difference for me. Night and day difference...

Rudy sets the STF XL knot in a handle that has a 25mm inside diameter, the APShaveCo I think was 26mm I.D., and my C&H was 27.5mm I.D. and think that was what made the difference for me. Night and day difference...
If I understand what you are saying, having those additional 2.5mm opening, allows the knot to open more freely, similar to having a higher loft.

Thanks. All I know is that Andrew told me the Shavemac handle is 2 mm wider than the Mühle Classic handle for the STF.

This is why I was curious if Rudy goes even wider.

I just got my calipers out. I didn't feel comfortable inserting the pointy part into the base of the knots to directly measure the hole diameter. Instead, I squeezed the knots and measured them with the flats of the caliper at the handle exit.

Best I can tell, the Shavemac handle is 1mm wider. Given my imprecision, I can see the 2mm number being reasonable.

For sake of argument, let's say the Mühle handle matches the knot spec of 25mm, and the Shavemac handle is 26.5. With your C&H being 27.5, I can see your experiencing a difference.

In squeezing the knots, my "factory" Mühle Classic feels denser. Its relaxed splay is also wider. Obviously, I can't speak to whether this is batch to batch variance, or whether Mühle treats some of their OEM customers differently.

My Mühle is from last Spring, purchased from their website.

I need to state that I like both brushes. Since I like large knots, I have a marginal preference for my "factory" Mühle, but for the fellow who's looking for something between Mühle's 23 & 25, I'd call the knot in the Shavemac handle that Goldilocks size.

The greater concern for me is why the knot density variance. The good news is, that for me, the differences are only observed from a size perspective and not one of face feel or lathering characteristics.

I sure hope that Mühle doesn't give preferential treatment to some of their OEM customers. That would be disappointing.

... Thom

Last edited:
Top Bottom