What's new

Muhle STF XL - It is that good!

Horses for courses. I take it that a Wald A1 wouldn't float your boat then?

Perhaps there's a subtlety that escapes me. I log 3-4 minutes of brush time on my face (face lathering) and if a brush was any stiffer than the current STF, I wouldn't like it.

... Thom

I'm also at around 5 minutes for initial face lather, then around 1 minute for each subsequent pass.

I like a bit of boar-like scrub. I really dislike the cotton ball feel of majority of synthetic brushes.
The two synthetics I did like; pur-tech and G5C. These two provide some presence on the face without being harsh or rough, like a pure badger for example.

You're right, Wald would definitely not be to my liking!

I'm also at around 5 minutes for initial face lather, then around 1 minute for each subsequent pass.

I like a bit of boar-like scrub. I really dislike the cotton ball feel of majority of synthetic brushes.
The two synthetics I did like; pur-tech and G5C. These two provide some presence on the face without being harsh or rough, like a pure badger for example.

You're right, Wald would definitely not be to my liking!
have you tried the new EJ STF? that definitely has some presence, but it is quite soft too. My only issue with it is that if it runs out of lather while scrubbing it can be prickly. It is easy to solve this by making sure there is always plenty of lather around the tips.

have you tried the new EJ STF? that definitely has some presence, but it is quite soft too. My only issue with it is that if it runs out of lather while scrubbing it can be prickly. It is easy to solve this by making sure there is always plenty of lather around the tips.

Yah, I tried the latest EJ.
It was beyond face presence, I found it far too prickly unfortunately.

@nav

Thank you. You just saved me some money to buy a Mühle synthetic brush.

It's by no means a bad brush.
I would still recommend it if you've never tried one.

I do agree with nav with regard to the G5C. It is a wonderful brush just as he describes. I also have 3 Muhle STF brushes from AP Shave Co that I also really enjoy. Please do not dismiss the STF too quickly......:c9:

Agreed!
Every wet shaver should try the Muhle STF, kind of like a rite of passage.

The G5C is indeed a very special knot.
Probably my favourite current production synth knot!!

Sometimes I really wonder when using my STF XL why it is that mine feels so different from everyone elses descriptions? I'm on my 2nd knot one and have to say both are springy but can get them to splay pretty easily, have some scrub to them but not enough to worry about leaving irritation, and yet the overall lathering experience with the 2nd one so far has been very positive for me. Maybe my problem with the 1st one was both, the handle it was set in wasn't imo large enough inside ID to let the knot open up and the knot was just set too deep and it felt like the density was very evident during the lathering which made it very stiff feeling...

I think my overall problem is I expected much more out of the STF XL from reading everyone's posts and looking back it reminds me that it is very much ymmv when it comes to brushes!!

Sometimes I really wonder when using my STF XL why it is that mine feels so different from everyone elses descriptions? I'm on my 2nd knot one and have to say both are springy but can get them to splay pretty easily, have some scrub to them but not enough to worry about leaving irritation, and yet the overall lathering experience with the 2nd one so far has been very positive for me. Maybe my problem with the 1st one was both, the handle it was set in wasn't imo large enough inside ID to let the knot open up and the knot was just set too deep and it felt like the density was very evident during the lathering which made it very stiff feeling...

I think my overall problem is I expected much more out of the STF XL from reading everyone's posts and looking back it reminds me that it is very much ymmv when it comes to brushes!!

The knot construction is magnificent.
The way it splays but doesn't flop over and the way it generates lather. Brilliant!

My issue is that the current STF knot feels like the majority of synth brushes, i.e. Soft as A cotton ball. To me, it's no longer unique.
The apshaveco G5A for example, feels nearly the same as the Muhle STF. In fact, it feels a tad better!

The older fibre was wonderfully unique.
Currently, I don't know of any other synth apart from the G5C and the Frank Shaving pur-tech, which offers a light scrub, without scritch.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I started out with a G4 synth.... I liked it except for that darned donut hole in the middle.... I had two of them....... I used them for 4 weeks straight on a trip we were on....

It wasn't until I bought a Zenith M23 Manchurian that I knew what face feel I truly enjoyed... Now, my two remaining synths are being used by my wife. I rotate 4 Two-band badgers for my shaving lathers and had Rudy reknot those two G4 brushes along with another Manchurian badger that was just too soft for me with ShaveMac Two-band silvertips. I know others who would just love the premium two-band Manchurian knot I had Rudy replace, because they love the softness of the 3 band Silvertip badgers.

I haven't tried the Wald brushes because I fear they'd be too soft for me. I like the idea of a soft, luxurious brush but it turns out, I like the gentle scrub of badgers. It sure takes a while to sort out what we enjoy. After two years, I've figured out a few things... but I'm still learning. That's the joy of wet shaving and B&B.

Edit: I should say... My wife chose a FB group buy G5"D" Alpha Shaving brush with a blue aluminum handle and the Rudy Vey Amboyna burl handle XL STF brushes from the few synths I had left. @Eric_75 is enjoying the Omega Evo Original brush that made it my final 3 synth brushes.

I'm always torn about this.

When I'm first lathering up, the STF feels the slightest bit on the soft side. If I'm getting anything but a perfect shave however, the lather for the second pass feels the slightest bit prickly.

All in all, I think this is the best balance for how sensitive my face is, although I'm always willing to be convinced otherwise :letterk1:

... Thom

I have used the FS Pur-tech today, the Mühle STF the shave before. Both knots are great, but this round goes to the STF. The Pur-tech has better scrub, but the STF splays much more naturally. The STF XL is the denser knot that gives it more backbone. Overall the STF has the slight edge, as you almost forget it is a synth.
I will use the Mühle next time again, followed by the EJ STF XL. :straight:

P.s.: maybe it is just my eyes, but my Mühle looks ever so slightly lopsided. Nothing serious, just a tad annoying when I open the cabinet and look at it. I guess you can put this on it being hand made.

1709628207837.png

I have used the FS Pur-tech today, the Mühle STF the shave before. Both knots are great, but this round goes to the STF. The Pur-tech has better scrub, but the STF splays much more naturally. The STF XL is the denser knot that gives it more backbone. Overall the STF has the slight edge, as you almost forget it is a synth.
I will use the Mühle next time again, followed by the EJ STF XL. :straight:

P.s.: maybe it is just my eyes, but my Mühle looks ever so slightly lopsided. Nothing serious, just a tad annoying when I open the cabinet and look at it. I guess you can put this on it being hand made.

View attachment 1807020

The only downside to the pur-tech is the large glue bump. This reduces the loft significantly and makes the knot stiff, hence why it doesn't splay easily.

The pur-tech knot itself is far better than the current Muhle STF.
If it didn't have the large glue bump, it'd be my favourite synth for sure!

That lopsided STF knot would drive me crazy to be honest!

Sometimes I really wonder when using my STF XL why it is that mine feels so different from everyone elses descriptions? I'm on my 2nd knot one and have to say both are springy

I had a similar experience as yours but one day I started using my Muhle STF 25mm differently.
Instead of rotating it with other brushes as I previously did, I started to use it exclusively
for 3 weeks to a month. I shave once every 2-3 days on average. I have been using it exclusively
for over three months now and love it.

The brush finally appears to have broken in and is very well behaved. Previously, I found it a bit pokey
but now it is much softer and likeable. It has also GREATLY reduced flinging lather around when used vigorously.
The Muhle STF will never be luxurious like the Wald A1. After break-in, the 25mm brush is firm, yet soft
and pliable....give it a shot...nothing to lose, I reckon.

I had a similar experience as yours but one day I started using my Muhle STF 25mm differently.
Instead of rotating it with other brushes as I previously did, I started to use it exclusively
for 3 weeks to a month. I shave once every 2-3 days on average. I have been using it exclusively
for over three months now and love it.

The brush finally appears to have broken in and is very well behaved. Previously, I found it a bit pokey
but now it is much softer and likeable. It has also GREATLY reduced flinging lather around when used vigorously.
The Muhle STF will never be luxurious like the Wald A1. After break-in, the 25mm brush is firm, yet soft
and pliable....give it a shot...nothing to lose, I reckon.
I am using it for the FFFMM so it will see 16 comsecutive shaves this month so it will give me an idea on longevity for sure...

I have two Mühle STF brushes from Rudy Vey and they are my favorite. They are both 25mm. My next favorite is the APShaveCo G5C, which is a 28mm. I like these brushes for different reasons. I do have a G5A, which comes in a close third. I have a Shavemac fiber 28mm, and though it is a good brush, it falls far behind these others for me.

I have the impression that the STF is a little overrated but it is an excellent brush, I would buy it again.
Mine is not springy. It splays easily and painting with it is quite a pleasure. My XL however is the original from Muhle, and the loft is 60mm, higher than what I think I see typically on the forum. If I decided to buy it with a custom handle , I would ask to set it at 60mm or I would set it by myself.

I had a custom loft set on mine but will have to try the stock loft height that Muhle and EJ
ship with. I initially went custom loft because I wanted something firmer and less floppy
but I have changed my thinking.

I have the impression that the STF is a little overrated but it is an excellent brush, I would buy it again.
Mine is not springy. It splays easily and painting with it is quite a pleasure. My XL however is the original from Muhle, and the loft is 60mm, higher than what I think I see typically on the forum. If I decided to buy it with a custom handle , I would ask to set it at 60mm or I would set it by myself.
Talk to @Rudy Vey

Top Bottom