What's new

MUHLE Silvertip Fiber pass around

Hello again B&B - here is my third day review of the Muehle Silvertip Fiber!

Alternative title:

HOW MUEHLE SAVED THE BADGERS. :badger:

This morning, it was finally time. Time for the "loading hard soap test".

I grabbed my puck of Haslinger Coconut, gave it a quick dip in the sink, and squeezed out the brush per the recommendation of Codfish (above).

I was determined not to give into hyperbole :lol: so I counted seconds in my head while I loaded the brush off of the puck. Unfortunately, proto-lather was flinging everywhere and I nearly got the cat in a firendly-fire incident with a huge dollop of lather. :w00t: Needless to say, I lost count while I was laughing but my best estimate is I loaded the puck for 15 to 20 seconds.

Turns out that was 5 or 10 seconds too many. Switched to my bowl and started whipping up the lather off of the brush. Lather everywhere. Growing almost out of control, grasping for purchase outside of my bowl. Had to add a few dribbles of water, as the brush loaded so much product that even the prodigious amount of water held by the brush was not enough to satiate the desire of the product held within.

So, if you can't tell by now, loading the soap off the puck and bowl lathering was awesome. I'm going to have to use another hard soap tomorrow AM to make sure this wasn't some sort of fluke!

Here are answers to the questions that were suggested for the brush review:
1) Water retention: Does it hold water sufficiently enough?
Yes! A lot of water! Still working on matching water retention to the lathering product.

2) Loading: Does it pick up soaps and creams easily?
YES. <Insert Diner scene from "When Harry Met Sally">. 15 to 20 seconds on the puck and I had enough product for two 4 pass shaves!

3) Lather: Does it build and apply lather well?
Similar to yesterday. Bowl lathering took about the same amount of effort as I usually use, but with better results in the bowl. Awesome lather when transferred from bowl onto the face. Did I mention that the lather was awesome? We're not talking yogurt like consistency here people, we are talking Greek yogurt. Super thick and ridiculously creamy. :adoration:

4) Application/Backbone: Does it allow for a soft/smooth/effective application of lather to the skin.
Same as yesterday. Nice backbone with some flop on the tips. Very smooth lather application.

5) Quality feel: Does the synthetic brush have the &#8220;quality&#8221; feel against the skin? Would it pass a blindfold test against naturals?
Same as yesterday. Yes, face feel is outstanding. *Disclaimer I do not own a natural silvertip brush.* Lightly skritchy, but mostly just soft. I "painted" the lather on my face a bit longer than usual just to enjoy the feel of the brush.

6) Appearance: Is the look of the brush attractive?
Look and grip on the handle are both good. I would say it looks better than it grips though.

So, in summary, after three uses I am extremely impressed with this brush. I'm only in my 5th month of traditional wet shaving, and I've only made really high quality lather like this brush produces two or three times prior. Now - three days in a row, face lathering a soap, bowl lathering a soft cream and bowl lathering a hard soap. All three with thick, rich, luxurious lather.

So, has Muehle just saved the Badger? I think they just may have...

And, in perhaps the most telling review of all, I just bought one of these with my own hard earned clams. Now, I no longer suspect Codfish is a Muehle operative, I think he's a Badger! :badger: :lol:

Here is a shot of today's set up. Haslinger Coconut, Star 3 piece razor with Voskhod blade and the Muehle Silvertip Fiber with my Bill Bowl from Dirty Bird. Picture taken after lathering up for my second pass!

$Haslinger & Muehle.jpg

Last edited:
Nice writeup cxg231 -

Question: What do you think of the 23mm for face lathering (to big / floppy???) Looking to pick up another brush for face lathering and thinking of either the 21 or the 23 mm...

Thanks!!!

I personally prefer slightly larger brushes. I don't think the 23mm is too big for face lathering, but if face lathering is pretty much all you do, I think the 21mm would be more manageable, less likely to fling lather about (IMO of course). If you face and bowl lather, I would let the size of your bowl determine the size of the knot. I have a big bowl, as you can see, so that pretty much calls for the 23mm, though the 21 would work alright as well I suspect.

That looks like enough lather for you and the cat both. Good stuff, and I liked the "save the badgers" theme.

You mentioned that you do not have any silvertips. I think you have a Simpsons Berkeley, right? What other brushes have you tried?

hahaha - Love that one!!!

Thanks. Have to slip in a joke on occasion to see if anyone is awake.

That looks like enough lather for you and the cat both. Good stuff, and I liked the "save the badgers" theme.

You mentioned that you do not have any silvertips. I think you have a Simpsons Berkeley, right? What other brushes have you tried?

Correct, no silvertips. You are correct on the Simpsons Berkeley in Best. I also have a generic Chinese pure badger, which is really floppy and really skritchy. An Omega Syntex which is on the floppy side with just so-so water retention. And an Omega Pro 49 boar, which has a good combination of floppy and stiff, leaning towards stiff. The Omega Pro is a good brush, but I wouldn't say it is luxurious like the Berkeley or the Muehle Silvertip Fiber.

I realize that I may sound a bit over-enthusiastic in my reviews of the Muehle, but to get consistently great results from different lathering techniques and completely different products is pretty exciting for me! I usually make "good" lather, but to get consistently "great" lather is :w00t:!

It will be interesting to see how the Muehle is received by a more experienced lather meister such as yourself!

For those who'd like to experience a good (although not as good as the Muhle) synthetic brush, then I'd suggest the Frank Shaving Synthetic. You can get one for about $15 shipped from starshaving.com. It is a bit more floppy than the Muhle, but is a great brush and very affordable.

Color me intrigued...

I saw a man-u youtube video not long ago extolling the virtues of synthetic brushes. Hearing non-biased opinions may force my hand into my wallet.

Color me intrigued...

I saw a man-u youtube video not long ago extolling the virtues of synthetic brushes. Hearing non-biased opinions may force my hand into my wallet.

I've never tried one of the MenU, but I love the FS brush and the Muhle Synthetics.

I've never tried one of the MenU, but I love the FS brush and the Muhle Synthetics.

For the price, I may just have to take the plunge on the FS synth.

Has anyone tried the TGN synthetic knot? I have an old brush I could try popping it in as an alternative...

Color me intrigued...

Well, FWIW, I used the Muehle Silvertip Fiber three times and ordered one of my own. If the leap from my non-premium brushes to my first "high end brush", the Simpsons Berkeley Best was going from a "3" to an "7", the synthetic Silvertip Muehle is another jump to a "9+". I hesitate to call anything perfect, but for the price of a medium sized "best badger" premium brush I feel I am getting a top-of-the-pack brush in the Muehle synthetic.

I love reading impressions on how good this brush is from other people. I read Codfish's impressions as well as the impressions on the Nook and thought, it's a synthetic, how good can it be? I wish Chris had an amazing badger brush to try it against. I pitted it against my M&F and the Colonel before I sold them, and it more than passed the test. The only disadvantage this brush has compared to badgers is the density of the knot. If Muhle can make the knot a bit more dense, then I think they'd sell even more brushes. To be fair, the Muhle knot is much more dense than either the FS or the Body Shop Synthetic. I'll try and post a comparison shot later today.

I love reading impressions on how good this brush is from other people. I read Codfish's impressions as well as the impressions on the Nook and thought, it's a synthetic, how good can it be? I wish Chris had an amazing badger brush to try it against. I pitted it against my M&F and the Colonel before I sold them, and it more than passed the test. The only disadvantage this brush has compared to badgers is the density of the knot. If Muhle can make the knot a bit more dense, then I think they'd sell even more brushes. To be fair, the Muhle knot is much more dense than either the FS or the Body Shop Synthetic. I'll try and post a comparison shot later today.

I second that the brush at first use does not feel dense.
That was my first impression also.

I have been lucky though to ask Muhle about this, and they indicate that the density in this brush is as high as possible.
There simply won't fit more fibers in the ring.

Knowing that, I thought that the feel of medium density was caused by the typical Muhle brush shape.
If you examine the 33 K 257, you'll notice a pretty high lofted bulb shape:

proxy.php

This will give you a firm yet flexible backbone, but it also feels less compact.

So we have been discussing this a bit and came up with the idea of a flatter head and a lower loft.
Muhle have been so kind as to make us a prototype:

full

That certainly feels more compact and dense!
Lowering it and making it flatter makes it more substantial, yet does not compromise on the flex of the backbone.

Also, my impression is that these fantastic fibers would really shine in larger diameters.
My understanding is that larger knots are now not feasible, but at Muhle they are developing the techniques to make that happen in the future.

Maybe the Muhle TTO and the Slant have the priority :balloon:

Attachments

• $wp826d6784_05.jpg
    $wp826d6784_05.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 262
Last edited by a moderator:
I second that the brush at first use does not feel dense.
That was my first impression also.

I have been lucky though to ask Muhle about this, and they indicate that the density in this brush is as high as possible.
There simply won't fit more fibers in the ring.

Knowing that, I thought that the feel of medium density was caused by the typical Muhle brush shape.
If you examine the 33 K 257, you'll notice a pretty high lofted bulb shape:

proxy.php

This will give you a firm yet flexible backbone, but it also feels less compact.

So we have been discussing this a bit and came up with the idea of a flatter head and a lower loft.
Muhle have been so kind as to make us a prototype:

full

That certainly feels more compact and dense!
Lowering it and making it flatter makes it more substantial, yet does not compromise on the flex of the backbone.

Also, my impression is that these fantastic fibers would really shine in larger diameters.
My understanding is that larger knots are now not feasible, but at Muhle they are developing the techniques to make that happen in the future.

Maybe the Muhle TTO and the Slant have the priority :balloon:

Wow thanks Wim. I'll have to give one a try once they come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
That prototype is exactly what I've been looking for. If they make it, I'll be the first in line.

I received my 23mm Silvertip Fibre brush in the mail today and it's a beauty as well. Made one or two test lathers with it and it performed admirably.

I wish Chris had an amazing badger brush to try it against. I pitted it against my M&F and the Colonel before I sold them, and it more than passed the test.

Ooooo! I also wish I had an amazing badger brush to compare this to! But, alas, I cannot afford one. :001_smile

But, I can say that the Muehle Silvertip Fiber is better than my Simpsons Berkeley in Best. I realize that the Berkeley is just an entry-level high end end brush, but at least it's something good to compare against.

My review of this morning's use of the Muehle Silvertip may not happen until tomorrow. (Not that anyone is holding their breath for it! :lol:) I'm sneaking in a post at work now, and have a social obligation tonight.

Top Bottom