What's new

MUHLE Silvertip Fiber pass around

I received the brush today and it looks great. I'll be using it tomorrow to face lather a Palmolive shave stick. As to the questionnaire I believe I can answer a couple right off the bat:

Quality feel: Does the synthetic brush have the “quality” feel against the skin? Would it pass a blindfold test against naturals? There is a definite synthetic feel to the brush. I compared it with my 3-band super Simpson, 2-band simpson, TGN super, Thater 3-band, and a boar. It had a springy feel and it made me think of nylon. It wasn't unpleasant and I'm interested in seeing how it does with the other categories.

Appearance: Is the look of the brush attractive? This is a very attractive looking brush and on par with other brushes in that price range.
I'm looking forward to what you think of it in action. That "springy" feel has been noted by other reviewers. The real test comes when you put it to actual use.

Here are answers to the questions that were suggested for the brush review:
1) Water retention: Does it hold water sufficiently enough?
Yes, definitely retains water comparable to any boar or badger brush I've used.

2) Loading: Does it pick up soaps and creams easily?
So far, I used the Muhle shaving cream and face lather. It lathered ok but I found the springiness of the brush to be a bar to a good face lather. I intend to try out a soap and see how that goes.

3) Lather: Does it built and apply lather well?
Face lathering wasn't all that pleasant for me. I don't mash my other brushes on my face but th spring of this brush didn't let me mash it at all. I was flinging lather and water everywhere during the process

4) Application/Backbone: Does it allow for a soft/smooth/effective application of lather to the skin.
I really need to try out a soap.

I think if this was a first brush my impressions would be different. After 2 years of badger and boar I can tell th difference and haven't noticed a benefit to a synthetic at this point. However, I'm going to try a handful of times and see if it grows on me.

Dang this thread!! :blink: My AD has struck again. Just when I thought I had gotten out of buying things (for a while) I get sucked right back in! I ordered an ivory 23mm Muhle silvertip fibre from Connaught. Amazed at how much cheaper it is coming from there, with shipping $56 USD! I guess I'll have to wait and see if I get dinged for duties or anything like that, coming to Canada. The price seems too good to be true! Can't wait to try it out.

Dang this thread!! :blink: My AD has struck again. Just when I thought I had gotten out of buying things (for a while) I get sucked right back in! I ordered an ivory 23mm Muhle silvertip fibre from Connaught. Amazed at how much cheaper it is coming from there, with shipping $56 USD! I guess I'll have to wait and see if I get dinged for duties or anything like that, coming to Canada. The price seems too good to be true! Can't wait to try it out.

You're gonna love it! I liked the fibers so much I ordered a knot by itself and put it in a custom handle...

I was so impressed with the neat little Muhle travel brush that I bought my son a 23mm Muhle Synthetic for his birthday present. He seems very pleased with it.

Wilson

Looking forward to hearing more about this brush but even more so I can't wait until the one I purchased arrives! Good to see others have it too and really like using it. Is it ok to post my oppinion of my own personal brush when I start using it here or is this thread only for the one that is being passed around? Being pretty new here I'm not so sure what the rules are. Sorry!

I have a 21mm Muhle Silvertip Fibre and really love it. It's a great contrast to my boar, badger, and horsehair brushes. I pretty much exclusively face lather and don't have a problem with it in terms of softness, splay, or springiness. YMMV.

Top Bottom