What's new

MP3 Player

Looking to get a new MP3 Player (I think my last one was stolen), so here's a chance for me to see about finding one that I would really like.

A few things I would like to be available.

1) First and Formost . . . I do not want an IPOD. I do not want to have to use ITunes.

2) I would like it to have at least 8 gb storage for music

3) I like the ability to hold separate card for me to store audio books on separate from my music.

4) I like the ability to connect the MP3 player to the computer (creating a new drive) and simply copy or drag/drop the music to the MP3 player.

Any suggestions?

I don't really do too much with my MP3 player, just something I can bring to work and listen to while working or connect up to my car stereo to listen to on trips.

I am a huge fan of the Zune. Holds massive amounts of files, and a nice large screen. Also you can just use files from your computer, I also refuse to have anything to do with iTunes.

I helped setup a Zune before. Don't remember enough about it to know if I liked it or not. Might have to look into it again. Still curious to other thoughts/ideas as well though.

Last edited:
I have an iPod myself, but also found iTunes annoying (to say the least).
So I would now buy a Zen:

proxy.php

I think it might fit your specs also!

The Sansa units are great.. mircoSD slot, easy to add tunes from my PC, etc.
I have the earlier modek of this one and one about the size of a large postage stamp. Both have seen rought use.. mowing, backpacking, moving from car to car.

proxy.php

-1 to the Zen.

I had two. The first one (brand new) croaked after a few months. It was replaced under warranty by a refurbished one. That croaked a few months later, and Creative said, "Sorry, your warranty has been fulfilled." They wanted me to buy another one.

YMMV.

I'm not an Apple lover in general, but you can't beat the iPod for build quality or overall slickness. If you decide to go that way, you can use mediamonkey to completely avoid installing iTunes.

I would say if you are looking for a all around media player that is not an Ipod Touch there are a couple I would recommend, one being a Zune HD and the other being the Samsung PMP that runs Android (not out yet, but coming soon). You have to use Zune software with the Zune (which is awesome anyway, much better than iTunes). For Android, it is drag and drop.

If you are just looking for an MP3 player you can drag and drop songs onto then get one of the Sansa Clips.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPS6W

Love my Sansa, but Zune has more accessories so would probably go with that.

i have a sansa clip and e280 and i would go with some else IFF you wanted accessories, like a zune.

There is also Archos and they make some interesting mp3 players.

however, as much as I don't think apple offers the value the price commands in PCs and laptops, they have done a great job at the Ipod and I may eventually succumb to buying an ipod due to the accessories and home automation and integration.

btw I love android, but the music players aren't there yet. I roll with rockbox on the sansa e280 non rhapsody version. nice and minimal inteface, similar to the clips.

Last edited:
You have to use Zune software with the Zune (which is awesome anyway, much better than iTunes).

Not really sure I want another music application to manage my music in, but if it is as awsome as you say, I might make an exception

Anyway - I seem to see the same 3 popping up here. . . Zune, Creative Zen, and the Sansa. I did have the "Creative Zen Micro" quite some time ago and really liked it. Couldn't find it anymore though.

Id recommend a Zune HD. Ive been using Zunes since they started out and have been very satisfied.

Sansas are good if you dont want anymore software and just like drag and drop

... If you decide to go that way, you can use mediamonkey to completely avoid installing iTunes.

Big fan of MediaMonkey here. :thumbup1:

I've had a few Sandisk Sansa units.

The first one, an E-140 ran fine until one of my boys cracked the screen. It still runs, but without the screen it's a paperweight.

The next, an E-260, finally developed a fault in the earphone jack. I think it lasted a couple years.

The third, a View, is still going strong after a year of abuse, but once the battery goes wonky it's going to be a bear to replace.

My oldest boy has a Clip and likes it.

I was gifted a Cowon J3 and love it to death. (I still use my iPod Nano for podcasts, because despite my aversion to iTunes, they do podcasts better than anyone. Sorry, but it's painlessly simple).

But my music collection is on the J3...I have the 16GB. I've had a Cowon mp3 player before, and they are bulletproof. Great quality. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom