What's new

Smoothest vintage Gillette with good efficiency?

I just got a flare tip super speed and really like it but it can be a tad more aggressive, however I find it rather smooth. I know there is the red flare tip, but there may be something as efficient but smoother for my sensitive skin. Is there one that would fit my needs beside the obvious adjustable choices? I’m sort of new to vintage but know the usual players like the tech, flare tip etc. The pricier and more rare stuff I’m not familiar with so I appreciate the input. I do see at the time of making this post black roads has a British aristocrat for a discount that is visually stunning . Would that suit my inquiry?

I find the Tech paired with a Nacet is quite efficient and smooth. Not as smooth as my Henson, but I need just one pass with it instead of the 2 and touch ups I do with the Henson
I’ve used a lot of techs. I’d put them under the flare tip in efficiency but regardless I’d prefer something not a tech and something I’ve not used before.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
These are a slight step up in efficiency? I thought they’d be the same as what I have for some reason.
The 40's are very very similar to the flare tips. A '48-50 Aristocrat is like a 40's with a touch more weight, many members swear they are smoother without going to the red tip.

A British Rocket is what I'd suggest as an economical stepping stone toward a British Aristocrat.

I’ve used a lot of techs. I’d put them under the flare tip in efficiency but regardless I’d prefer something not a tech and something I’ve not used before.

The British Aristocrat does seem to be a good match for what you're asking about.

The late 1940s Super Speeds seem a bit more aggressive than the later ones. You might like those.

Red Tip might interest you, too. It was made for the person with a heavier beard, but has all the Super Speed virtues.

People tend to underestimate the Tech. You can get great results, but your technique must be spot on. Especially like the Canadian pre-war Tech model.

The 40's are very very similar to the flare tips. A '48-50 Aristocrat is like a 40's with a touch more weight, many members swear they are smoother without going to the red tip.

A British Rocket is what I'd suggest as an economical stepping stone toward a British Aristocrat.
Would it be more economical to just get the British aristocrat junior if that saves me a stepping stone but checks my boxes?

The British Aristocrat does seem to be a good match for what you're asking about.

The late 1940s Super Speeds seem a bit more aggressive than the later ones. You might like those.

Red Tip might interest you, too. It was made for the person with a heavier beard, but has all the Super Speed virtues.
I couldn’t find one on good enough shape . It seems people are asking 30-50 on these , and they are in rough shape. It’s why I figured I may as well look at a next step.

I couldn’t find one on good enough shape . It seems people are asking 30-50 on these are they’re rough. It’s why I figured I may as well look at a next step.
I would go with the 40's Super Speed. My 1948-9 (?) model is a sweet shaver, smooth and seems to have a touch more agression. I don't have a 50's US SS to compare with but I have an English Flair Tip from around 1959-61. It has that bite, but a touch less smooth. It's all so nuanced with vintages, which makes them such great razors to use.

Blade choice is arguably crucial too, although most Solid Bar Gillettes seem to be very blade tolerant.

The GSB or Nacet or Platinums run great in my 40's Super Speed.

Here's my 1940's Super Speed baby with a great Bulova A-11 watch replica made by an English artisan watchmaker just for jollies.
IMG_20230929_202958686.jpg

Last edited:

this, seems just a touch more forgiving.

depending on the year of Superspeed (if it has the post 1961ish flatter head) you might want to consider a similar year slim or a Fatboy.

Heavy duty?

@Chickencutlets there is an English Rocket HD from around 1953-55, now that touches a lot of bases. Smooth, with slightly more aggression than the Super Speed. The HD was around 70gms, all brass with the rocket handle mechanism. There is also a 59gm MD with an aluminium handle, same head.

They might be harder to pick up in the US but well worth considering.

IMG_20230610_182218702.jpg

Here's my HD with a mismatched case. May have been NOS destined for the French market according to seller. The blades are much younger than the razor. Bargain though from a bay seller I trust. It's pre 1954 with the Patent Pending giveaway dating clue in the head. Complex Gillette England weirdness.

Heres my MD
IMG_20221028_204923335.jpg

Both excellent shavers.

Last edited:
The HD is nice. Just do your research prior to purchase regarding the ones made out of aluminum. I believe the ones that actually have the patent number on them are usually all brass (not 100% sure).

Top Bottom