What's new

The peculiar things we sometimes do.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I guess all of us do interesting little things that others may find peculiar or unusual. Just out of habit, or perhaps from some long past experience that we continued with. Nothing obscene or bizarre. Just those little quirky practices we all have fallen into.

The other day, I did what I do every year around this time. I picked up two new 'albums' for the coming Christmas holidays. Not vinyl albums from the old days, just CDs (yes, even that's somewhat antiquated these days with downloadable everything). We have a pretty big collection of mid-Century Christmas music (mainly because I got sick of hearing the same 20 bad ones ad nauseum on the radio stations starting about 35 years ago). It's just one of those little indulgences. So I keep on doing it, year after year.

Buying some Christmas music every year is not so peculiar. And I know many of us do remember the days of the LP, when many of us would slit open the plastic wrapping, and keep it on the cardboard record sleeves as sort of a slipcover, like a relative keeps slipcovers on the furniture. And there they remain for decades, some with the price tag on the plastic wrapper from long extinct department and music stores. A $3.95 album bought at Two Guys in 197.. whatever. Music archeology for the kids and grandkids someday.

But perhaps from those days of vinyl LPs, I have tended to do the same thing with my CDs. I keep the wrappers the CDs come in, and slip them back on after making my personal use copy (or backup, which the RIAA allows last I checked), before putting it in the CD storage cabinet, forever, as proof I bought it. And that's peculiar.

And let me tell you, putting those little cellophane wrappers back on the jewel cases is no easy feat. They are not designed for it, and easily rip. But over the years, I have developed little tricks to do it quickly. All the while thinking, "why the hell am I doing this?" But opening the CD drawer to put in this year's holiday acquisitions, I stare at hundreds of other CDs, all wrapped as if they were never opened. Some still have little stickers on them touting some long forgotten feature of whatever the CD is. Peculiar.

Yet I keep on doing it, even as I can't really see well enough to read the back of the cases anymore. And I just did it again last night with those two Christmas CDs. Wondering like I do every time, "Why am I doing this?" Peculiar.

At least they don't still put those messy, impossible to remove stickers across the tops of the cases anymore. I always wondered why, when the things are wrapped in sealed cellophane already. Thank goodness I never started trying to put those little stickers back on.

I guess we all have those little peculiar things we do. That one is mine. Maybe when I am gone they will fetch a little more on eBay.

I have to say that for music I have transcended to the non-physical realm but like you I try to find something specific for the season every year.

This time it’s this album from 2014

C7F16164-0F81-4B26-A9FA-D42ACBE8D10A.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I keep the wrappers the CDs come in, and slip them back on after making my personal use copy (or backup, which the RIAA allows last I checked), before putting it in the CD storage cabinet, forever, as proof I bought it. And that's peculiar.
Keeping and using the wrapper might be considered different, though I wouldn't say peculiar or odd. I don't know if it has any real value except as a ritual you have become accustomed to, which isn't a bad thing in any way.

As for keeping a hard copy...
I'd say your a smart man. We have seen books films and music pulled from public viewing. We have witnessed in our lifetime Ian Fleming and Roald Dahl having their books edited by the printer to remove "offensive" language or terms. Disney limited the distribution and marketing of Martin Scorsese's film Kundun due to pressure from the Chinese Government.
You don't own anything you don't have a physical copy of. It could be gone with a change of the wind.

It's serious enough that Filmmakers Christopher Nolan (Dunkirk, Oppenheimer, Interstellar) and Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water, Pan's Labyrinth, Blade) recently discussed it on Xwitter:

Image1.jpg

I guess we all have those little peculiar things we do. That one is mine. Maybe when I am gone they will fetch a little more on eBay.

I use that "eBay" excuse with my wife when she asks about the 3-4 boxes of Stephen King books and mags from the 80s ("..but dear that unread 1st ed NEL paperback of RAGE I paid about $2 for, is selling for $800 on ebay). Then she'll ask why I'm not selling them, and I'll respond that I don't want to deal with selling on ebay. King lost me as a reader by 1990, but I still buy special editions of his earlier books. Back in January I pre-ordered and paid for special editions of The Stand and Pet Sematary. The Stand won't be out until next year and the other the year after. Again, the excuse is "eBay". Our (adult) daughters or grandkids can sell them when I'm gone. I use the same excuse for the boxes of 90s/00s PC games, 150 Celtic punk CDs from the 90s/00s and 600 or more silent films.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No streaming here. I don't need some creep keeping tally of what I listened to, how often, at what time of day, on what device, blah blah blah. Hard copy CD and DVD for me, even though I will sometimes transfer files to my hard drive for ease of use.

I'm the opposite of you though, Columbo. I don't have the cases for many of my disc anymore. I just keep the disc itself in one of those wallet/folder jobbies so as to take up less space. Resale doesn't interest me, and I never read the blurb inside. The damn text is always too small for a start :lol:

Top Bottom