What's new

Mosquito Repellent

Get a ThermaCell and don't look back. It is a portable unit. I use it in the stand or out fishing, or just sitting out on the deck. Keeps them away. You can find them at the big box stores in the sporting goods section.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm one whose chemistry apparently isn't attractive to the bloodsuckers. I've read somewhere that garlic eaters are similarly repellent, as in the vampire legend where the garlic bulb protects you ..

Since I don't get bothered too much, I'll probably not be shopping for a portable gas fueled bug bomb.

But if going into high grass etc in the summer season a decades old pump bottle of Deep Woods Off has seemed to keep the ticks "OFF"

from Bram Stoker ..

We went into the room, taking the [garlic] with us. The Professor's actions were certainly odd and not to be found in any pharmacopeia that I ever heard of. First he fastened up the windows and latched them securely. Next, taking a handful of the flowers, he rubbed them all over the sashes, as though to ensure that every whiff of air that might get in would be laden with the garlic smell. Then with the wisp he rubbed all over the jamb of the door, above, below, and at each side, and round the fireplace in the same way.
It all seemed grotesque to me, and presently I said, "Well, Professor, I know you always have a reason for what you do, but this certainly puzzles me. It is well we have no sceptic here, or he would say that you were working some spell to keep out an evil spirit.""Perhaps I am!" He answered quietly as he began to make the wreath which Lucy was to wear round her neck.

While camping I picked up something called No Natz, a natural repellent. Active ingredients are rosemary oil and lemongrass oil. Also contains coconut oil, lavender oil, distilled water, and isopropyl alcohol. It works great.

Here is your awnser per consumer reports.

Consumer reports just came out with there rankings on this matter. The winner is Sawyer's Fisherman Formula and second was some sort of eucalyptus stuff. None contain Deet but that was not part of the equation as far as I know. The non-deet formula simply works better. Sawyer also offers spray for your clothes and gear.

I don't know or care about about the health risks with deet. I do know that deet will damage gear like sleeping bags, tents etc..

Good luck finding the stuff at a brick and mortar store. Since consumer reports, everyone is sold out. I just ordered mine directly from Sawyer. $15 shipping.

The shipping cost is small price to pay to protect my new copper spur tent from getting damaged or having to battle Lyme disease.

Sawyer's Fisherman formula can also be found as Sawyer's with (20?) Picardin.

I also saw this report form Consumer Reports last week and ordered 2 bottles each of the Sawyers Fisherman Formula and Repel Lemon Eucalyptus which were the top rated products in their report. I found the Repel on Amazon and the Sawyers on eBay. Both were ~$17 including shipping for 2 bottles of the pump spray variety. It will be interesting to see how they work, I am a skeeter magnet but hate the smell of most DEET formulas, so hopefully these work well and have a more pleasing scent.

All very good information thank you!

Out of curiousity what do you all recommend for young ones. My wife and I love to camp and our little guy is 15 months now and we plan to take him out in the tent this year. I would like to avoid mosquito bites if possible on him

All very good information thank you!

Out of curiousity what do you all recommend for young ones. My wife and I love to camp and our little guy is 15 months now and we plan to take him out in the tent this year. I would like to avoid mosquito bites if possible on him

Definitely verify the following but I believe Deet has been approved for children. I am unsure about the active ingredient in Sawyer's Fisherman formula but I can say with a high degree of certainty that Eucalyptus formulas are not approved for children under 3 years of age.

When I was buying from Sawyer's, they had family type lotions. These all contained Deet. You probably want to stick with lotions on a little ones to prevent the stuff from getting into the eyes or mouth which can easily occur with sprays.

Insect repellents with DEET. Had never heard of Picaridin until this thread. That looks interesting, since Deet doesn't play nice with fire retardant wear. For that we use stuff with Permethrin, but it cannot be sprayed on skin. The label says if on skin or non-treated clothing, flush with water for 15 - 20 minutes and call the Poison Control Center.

Back in the day we used Oil of Citronella, bought at the drug store and dabbed on. Doesn't stay effective long. There was also something called 6-12, which contained Rutgers 612. That was discontinued after it was shown to cause developmental problems in animals - which might explain a lot . . .

I have also used near 100% concentrations of DEET. Yes, it will melt plastics and synthetics. These days reach for the lower concentration stuff and try to keep it off my palms.

Here is your awnser per consumer reports.

Consumer reports just came out with there rankings on this matter. The winner is Sawyer's Fisherman Formula and second was some sort of eucalyptus stuff. None contain Deet but that was not part of the equation as far as I know. The non-deet formula simply works better. Sawyer also offers spray for your clothes and gear.

I don't know or care about about the health risks with deet. I do know that deet will damage gear like sleeping bags, tents etc..

Good luck finding the stuff at a brick and mortar store. Since consumer reports, everyone is sold out. I just ordered mine directly from Sawyer. $15 shipping.

The shipping cost is small price to pay to protect my new copper spur tent from getting damaged or having to battle Lyme disease.

Sawyer's Fisherman formula can also be found as Sawyer's with (20?) Picardin.

Wal-mart had Fisherman's Formula last year: 4 oz/$5.97. But, alas, this year they do not seem to be stocking it. Yet they have umpteen DEET products. People need to be educated that picaridin is superior.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I know you are a steward and I appreciate your time and attention. However, when children are involved, please be more attentive to the topic at hand. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sorry.

I'm the original OP on the thread. My dad put mud on me on more than one occasion while fishing at Port Aransas, Texas. He always forgot to bring the Off. It worked great for mosquito's and against sunburn. However I wouldn't recommend putting it on the kids while playing in the back yard when there are really good products on the market safe for children.

Here we are fishing in Baffin bay 1970. Lots of mosquito's were there. I'm the tired little boy leaning against the pole.

$Troughtcatch2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry.

I'm the original OP on the thread. My dad put mud on me on more than one occasion while fishing at Port Aransas, Texas. He always forgot to bring the Off. It worked great for mosquito's and against sunburn. However I wouldn't recommend putting it on the kids while playing in the back yard when there are really good products on the market safe for children.

Here we are fishing in Baffin bay 1970. Lots of mosquito's were there. I'm the tired little boy leaning against the pole.

View attachment 573334

That's a great picture and I appreciate you sharing some good memories. I grew up (partly) in Texas and I am an avid angler.

I owe you an apology. I am sorry for jumping to conclusions. I truly am. Once again, Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,
Jason

The bug guard works great. It smells like sunscreen with a little tang to it and is a little greasy. Worth it if you want the SPF, there is also a spray version (green aerosol can or green pump bottle) that works well too.

Last edited:
I Wanted to offer up another option I haven't seen mentioned yet: Dryer sheets, that's right, a friend in the forestry business swears by them. I've tried it but can't come to a definitive verdict yet. At the very least you'll smell good. Tuck a dryer sheet in a shirt pocket and in a hat brim

I Wanted to offer up another option I haven't seen mentioned yet: Dryer sheets, that's right, a friend in the forestry business swears by them. I've tried it but can't come to a definitive verdict yet. At the very least you'll smell good. Tuck a dryer sheet in a shirt pocket and in a hat brim
PMFJI...

For those of us who live near the woods, tying dryer sheets on plants will keep deer from browsing on them...not especially attractive, though.

[now returning you to your hijacked thread...]

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

I've tried this method too. I need to try it a few more times to see if there's something to it.

Top Bottom