What's new

More or less aggressive razor as technique improves?

But your skin is not a solid block of iron. So even razors with negative exposure can still provide a good shave, because the skin buckles up ahead of the razor and the base of the whisker can still hit the blade.

Granted it is easier to get a close shave using a razor that has positive blade exposure.

Nobody even remotely suggested that the skin behaves like “a solid block of iron”, but precisely because the skin buckles up ever so slightly in front of leading edge of the razor head the skin is pulled taut (i.e. flattened) behind the the leading edge, where the blade does its cutting action.

As far as “good shave” is concerned, I don’t dispute that one can get a “good shave” (however one may define that) from a razor with recessed blade, but a razor with neutral or positive blade exposure has the potential for a closer shave.

B.

Last edited:
What's the last Loved Razor (X) you shaved with?

What's the last Blade (Y) in X at the time?

Take Y and put in your New Razor (Z)

The key here here is to Enjoy the Process

Been Wet Shaving for over 15 Years.. I'm constantly learning about New Razors and New Blades..

My favourite and most used Razor was also with 3 different Blades, that all in the same ways gave me a DFS or DFS+.

Just recently I came across a New to me.. Gillette No59 English Razor

IMG_0545.jpeg

I call it the Mild, yet mind blowing most Efficient Razor I've ever used! 🤷‍♂️

That after Red Tip's, New's, New Improved's, Old Type's and more!

I've enjoyed every one of those razors in one way or another over the years!

Now I have a New True for Me.. Reference Razor and Multiple Reference Blades

Tomorrow I get to test it's time period counterpart, the Gillette President with the same blade I've been using in the No59 for the past few weeks.. a new NOS Gillette Platinum Blade.

I think it depends on your skin and beard. You need to find the right razor/blade combo that works for you. When I learned how to use a DE safety razor I went full-tilt aggressive, which worked for me, but is not optimal. I have since dialed it back. I do like the slant-bar razor, but I would not call that one aggressive. The slant-bar Merkur with a Feather blade is the most efficient combo for me that is also comfortable.

If the Rocca against the grain on your moustache is scary, do not go to aggressive razors. It is not an aggressive razor. Has a 0.80 mm gap. It's as simple as that.

More experience and skill opens up new possibilities. You're no longer restricted by what works and can now explore different types of razors and experiences. I don't think there's an obvious "path" that someone follows. Sometimes I use mild razors, sometimes I use efficient ones. That skill level allows me to use whatever I want instead of being bound by using the only thing that gets the job done.

I don’t think there is a consistent answer to this question. There are so many variables. As many beard types, shaving techniques, razors, and blades (et al) is as many answers as there is likely to be. For me, I’ve gravitated towards milder razors with feather and Kai blades.
I'm a bouncer arounder myself. I gravitate mainly to the milder types but like to take a chance once in a while with my Muhle R41 (2011) or Ikon Tech. Just to see if I can still survive I guess. The aggressive shavers are impressive, but I still can get great close shaves from say my Henson ++. It is just a fun experience for me, I'm almost never disappointed with a shave result, no matter what type of razor I use.

What's the last Loved Razor (X) you shaved with?

What's the last Blade (Y) in X at the time?

Take Y and put in your New Razor (Z)

The key here here is to Enjoy the Process

Been Wet Shaving for over 15 Years.. I'm constantly learning about New Razors and New Blades..

My favourite and most used Razor was also with 3 different Blades, that all in the same ways gave me a DFS or DFS+.

Just recently I came across a New to me.. Gillette No59 English Razor

View attachment 1837140

I call it the Mild, yet mind blowing most Efficient Razor I've ever used! 🤷‍♂️

That after Red Tip's, New's, New Improved's, Old Type's and more!

I've enjoyed every one of those razors in one way or another over the years!

Now I have a New True for Me.. Reference Razor and Multiple Reference Blades

Tomorrow I get to test it's time period counterpart, the Gillette President with the same blade I've been using in the No59 for the past few weeks.. a new NOS Gillette Platinum Blade.
I have used my Gillette HD500 Rocket a few times and I agree with you. Not sure if it is identical in form, fit, or function to your No59, but is probably close in performance. Built like a tank but with smooth action on the TTO!

I have used my Gillette HD500 Rocket a few times and I agree with you. Not sure if it is identical in form, fit, or function to your No59, but is probably close in performance. Built like a tank but with smooth action on the TTO!
Same, built like a tank and an ultra smooth TTO action!

The best way to find what you like best is to use various razors. I always felt my preference was for milder razors, but I learned that was not necessarily true. The Blackbird taught me that and is now my favorite razor.

I can shave with many razors and will usually get DFS or better shaves. For me the most aggressive (not most efficient) razors have large gaps.

A razor like a Blackbird has blade feel due to the greater than average exposure. I have found this blade feel to be very helpful in guiding my hand and getting an efficient and safe shave. My Titanium Timeless 0.68 does not have a huge gap and for me virtually no blade feel. The Timeless is a superb razor but I need to be more careful with it because it lacks the guiding blade feel.

I also find a large gap to be more likely to produce weepers without exceptional care.

The best way to find your preference is to explore your options.

Top Bottom