What's new

money-no-object best boar brush

While the SOC is probably the best production boar, you did say money no object and the link I posted earlier would have directed you to the Semogue 2009 LE Boar brush for sale on BST. Think SOC on steroids. Mine is at least 20% more dense than a SOC.

All-right, if I may, please let me refer to the SOC as "a wall of boar." It is dense, with a solid wood handle, and a loft similar to the 610/1460/1470. Wow, it is truly a pig when it comes to lather loading. I loaded P.160 Tipo Morbido (Italian soft soap) like I normally do, and had enough lather to bathe with! The way it presses against your skin gives you this majestic cushion-like feeling of being pampered at a spa. Think Omega Pro 48 crossbred with a Semogue 610, and you'd have the SOC.

It is durable and can be used for both face and bowl lathering, and IMHO moves the 1305 out of the top spot.

If you are truly into boar brushes and are wanting the best then you need to think outside the Omega and Semogue box...there are only 3 brands that you should consider if you want the best;-
1. Antica Barbieria Colla
2. Mondial
3. Zenith
You will not be disappointing :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The one you like the most.

Really; sorry but there really still is no best boar (or any other type knot) brush.

Isn’t the ABC made by Zenith?

Thäter makes a great boar from what I hear. But it’s $85 on a resin handle.

I have a b19 zenith and it’s pretty good. Nice chrome plated handle which is copper underneath. Good backbone. It’s $30 when in stock on eBay.

But my Proraso boar (made by Omega) is awesome and it’s only $20 but cheap plastic handle. It’s like the Pro but much shorter loft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite boar is a Custom Group Buy Semogue Limited Edition from 2010.
I think I paid around $35 for it.

The closest production model would be the 610 blond boar ... 620 if you like more scritch.

Semogues are slow to break in, but the wait is worth it.
Give it 90 days of every-other-day usage before it reaches peak performance.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

This is the Semogue SOC boar. It is available in another wood, too. Look around for availability and best prices. Prices vary a lot on this brush sometimes.

The brush is hard to break in, and loved by many people. Once about half way broken in it is a very, very soft brush. Yes, some people rave about this brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

i tried a boar brush many years ago and it felt like a broom against my cheek....of course i didnt use it more than twice which isnt enough for it to break in. i gave up on boar and went right to badger.

i guess boar is as soft as badger over time?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The Thaters are, in my view, the new gold standard in boars. They are worth the extra money.

This is a very high quality brush, and might be my top pick for face lathering. While not quite the build quality, the SOC is still my first choice for bowl lathering.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
i tried a boar brush many years ago and it felt like a broom against my cheek....of course i didnt use it more than twice which isnt enough for it to break in. i gave up on boar and went right to badger.

i guess boar is as soft as badger over time?

It depends on the brush. The SOC takes quite a few weeks to fully break-in, but the tips become very soft - probably rivaling your badger.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If you are truly into boar brushes and are wanting the best then you need to think outside the Omega and Semogue box...there are only 3 brands that you should consider if you want the best;-
1. Antica Barbieria Colla
2. Mondial
3. Zenith
You will not be disappointing :)

I agree.

Mondial.BigScrubby.26x57.640.4-18.Cropped.JPG

Although I do not have the ABC I've read several places that it is exactly like the Mondial, and made by Mondial, but costs a whole lot more. I have just this one Mondial, but a number of Zenith Boars. Nice brushes indeed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom