What's new

money-no-object best boar brush

i have a semogue 1520 and it's like a little toy. there is simply no density and the handle is puny. what do the experts suggest?

i am certainly hoping to hear from marco in this thread ;-)

v.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
i have a semogue 1520 and it's like a little toy. there is simply no density and the handle is puny. what do the experts suggest?

i am certainly hoping to hear from marco in this thread ;-)

v.

In my opinion, the Semogue SOC. :001_wub: I use it more than any other boar brush with my beloved Italian soft soaps. And it is a terrific performer, under every aspect. :thumbup:

If you're looking for a denser Semogue. like others here have suggested, go with the SOC. But personally, my 1250 sees more use than my SOC's do. IT all comes down to WWBFY.

i can't seem to find the semogue SOC in any online shops. any tips?

also, how is the 2000?

vuk.

Money no object eh?! Sigh...if all of us were so lucky my friend...if you're based in the US...may I recommend acquiring one of the top end Omega's or something along the lines of a Semogue SOC...then to really make it special, have Rudy or one of our friendly forum custom brush makers to remove the original knot and transplant it into a one of a kind genuine ivory handle...Voila...you've got an expensive brush that's truly unique!!

The best of the Semogue line from what I hear (have not yet received my SOC), is the SOC. It may be too dense for a boar beginner, but great nonetheless. For premium boar hair, go with either the 1305 or the 830. If you face lather, I'd recommend the 610 (or 1460/1470 if you prefer wood handles), 830, and 1305 in that order. Those acrylic handles are gorgeous, and less troublesome than the wood ones.

Other options include the 1250, which has the same handle as the 1305, but unpainted. I'm also starting to like the Best 90% tops hair better, personally, although the spring of the 830 makes for a great feel.

Also, since you're in Canada, I'd recommend taking a look at the cool new Omega lineup over at Shoebox Shave Shop. Some of those new handles defy logic, and they are made in Italy.

BTW, people forgot to mention the Boreal brushes :smile:

My best boar is the 2010 Custom by Semogue. I've been fighting the urge to add a SOC to my rotation for a while (usually when I post this liner I'm about 19 minutes away from pulling the trigger).

A well broken in Smeogue SOC is indeed a thing of beauty and great performance. Truth be told, I'm also smitten with my good old $9.95 Omega Pro- so happy in fact that I have two so I always have one ready to go.

The SOC, though, is in a class by itself.

Jeff

The best of the Semogue line from what I hear (have not yet received my SOC), is the SOC. It may be too dense for a boar beginner, but great nonetheless. For premium boar hair, go with either the 1305 or the 830. If you face lather, I'd recommend the 610 (or 1460/1470 if you prefer wood handles), 830, and 1305 in that order. Those acrylic handles are gorgeous, and less troublesome than the wood ones.

Other options include the 1250, which has the same handle as the 1305, but unpainted. I'm also starting to like the Best 90% tops hair better, personally, although the spring of the 830 makes for a great feel.

Also, since you're in Canada, I'd recommend taking a look at the cool new Omega lineup over at Shoebox Shave Shop. Some of those new handles defy logic, and they are made in Italy.

i have archived this in my shaving folder ;-) it will guide future purchases.

thank you for the detailed reply. it's very much appreciated!

v.

The 1250 was my Favorite Semogue, I'm thinking about the 1460 or 1470 but I'd have to ditch a Brush, trying to limit the collection to 6 plus one Travel.

Do they still produce Boreal's, I had a 976, but the knot blew after ~2 months, lost the whole center.

Top Bottom