What's new

money-no-object best boar brush

If a broken in SOC becomes soft to rival a badger that is music to my ears. If this is true, does the SOC losses its backbone?

P. S. Who had the idea to revive this old thread?

If a broken in SOC becomes soft to rival a badger that is music to my ears. If this is true, does the SOC losses its backbone?

P. S. Who had the idea to revive this old thread?
I wouldn’t say boars become as soft as badgers. They get nice and soft feeling, but it’s definitely different than a soft tip badger. I love both. Boars don’t lose their backbone, they just get a silky feeling to me. Badgers are more of a billowy feeling. More luxurious maybe.

If you are truly into boar brushes and are wanting the best then you need to think outside the Omega and Semogue box...there are only 3 brands that you should consider if you want the best;-
1. Antica Barbieria Colla
2. Mondial
3. Zenith
You will not be disappointing :)
I agree too. I like the Omega 49 knot but loft them sub 60mm. I do have the brushes above plus the Thater and the Omega will hang with them but doesn't have the hair quality of some of the above.

Last edited:
The Thaters are, in my view, the new gold standard in boars. They are worth the extra money.

I did not know that Thater made boar brushes until recently reading some of the comments here...I purchased one from Bullgoose about 4 weeks ago and have been using it since then virtually every day. I honestly believed that the ABC, Mondial and Zenith were the best boars on the market, however, the Thater edges them out easily...the brush is simply amazing in every department from the best quality natural white bristles to the balance of the knot diameter and loft along with the flow through of lather and to finish it off the splay is perfect. Every time i use the Thater i feel terrible and guilty...I feel like I'm cheating on my ABC, Mondial and Zenith brushes :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I did not know that Thater made boar brushes until recently reading some of the comments here...I purchased one from Bullgoose about 4 weeks ago and have been using it since then virtually every day. I honestly believed that the ABC, Mondial and Zenith were the best boars on the market, however, the Thater edges them out easily...the brush is simply amazing in every department from the best quality natural white bristles to the balance of the knot diameter and loft along with the flow through of lather and to finish it off the splay is perfect. Every time i use the Thater i feel terrible and guilty...I feel like I'm cheating on my ABC, Mondial and Zenith brushes :)

Interesting. In my ongoing head to head comparisons the Thater has beat out the Omega 48 and about tied with the Stirling boar. My side by sides have shown the Thater to be inferior to my Zenith boars and my Mondial in softness, splay, scrub, and backbone. I thought the Thater was soft new out of the box until I compared it against other brushes, but what really impressed me about the Thater was its lack of backbone.

To each his own.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have that brush, but I am not convinced yet. It is really good one, but I am looking for a similar one less schritchy.

There are ways to accelerate the break-in ......

I'm probably going to establish myself as a fast break-in fanatic :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, do you still have your Thater boar?

If I'm the Jim you're asking, yes I do.

I'm testing the Thater Premium Boar head to head against other brushes to see how they compare, usually on Wednesday and also on Saturday or Sunday. The head to head comparisons are written up on the Damn Comfortable Shave thread.
  • Thater vs Stirling. Link.
  • Thater vs Italian Flag. Link.
  • Thater vs Zenith 26x57. Link.
  • Thater vs Mondial. Link.
I could be missing a comparison or two. Not sure. I plan to do a few more. Although I've not actually done a side by side comparison yet with the Omega 48 I think the Thater would probably win that one, and I may do it. It would be fun to compare the Thater with the Omega 49 I think, but I don't have one. I have a Proraso Pro, but it's not broken in very well yet.

If I get a chance tomorrow and feel inclined I'll do a comparison. Unless I buy some more tall lofted boars I'm running out of brushes to compare with the Thater. I have a number of relatively short lofted boars, but I don't think comparing them with the Thater is entirely fair.
  1. Zenith Chubby Scrubby: Knot 28mm. Loft 50mm.
  2. Omega 011829 Jade Handle Connaught Premium Boar. Knot 27mm. Loft 49mm.
  3. Semogue SOC boar: 26mm knot. 52mm loft.
  4. Omega 11137: 24mm knot. 52mm loft.
  5. Zenith Wenghe Dark Wood: 24mm knot. 49mm loft.
  6. Omega Mighty Midget: 24mm knot. 47 mm loft.
  7. Zenith Short and Scrubby: 24mm knot. 43 mm loft.
Most are obviously so much better than the Thater - in backbone, scrub, softness, etc. - that it would be a joke. I've not used the Omega 11137 yet so I don't know about it.

I am certainly not of the opinion that my comparisons and my opinions should be important to anyone else. I know we all value in brushes and everything else whatever we value. What is important to me in a brush may not be important to another guy. I'm just fumbling along having fun with my shaving hobby.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If I'm the Jim you're asking, yes I do.
Jim, I have no complaint with my Thater now but I do believe it was the prickliest brush I've ever bought. Nothing a person can't work out with a little time and minimal effort and at this point I'm very satisfied with my Thater. I'm just looking for another Thater knot to experiment with. Eventually one will pop up f/s or I'll end up buying another. I've used the big Omega knot for a long time but not their brushes. I think I've done everything that's "legal before the eyes of God and the U.S. Constitution" to the Omega 49. Have a good one and thanks.

Jim, I have no complaint with my Thater now but I do believe it was the prickliest brush I've ever bought. Nothing a person can't work out with a little time and minimal effort and at this point I'm very satisfied with my Thater. I'm just looking for another Thater knot to experiment with. Eventually one will pop up f/s or I'll end up buying another. I've used the big Omega knot for a long time but not their brushes. I think I've done everything that's "legal before the eyes of God and the U.S. Constitution" to the Omega 49. Have a good one and thanks.

My Thater also had an impressive amount of needle-like bristles. I usually clip them at half length. Not an issue with a 4.5 euros brush like a Proraso Pro, but at the price the Thater commands I thought that step would be done already.

The Zenith Big Scrubby had none of those "needles", and the quality of the bristles was excellent and uniform. Nice aluminum handle, similar to Omega Pro, but slightly comfier.

The Omega 011829 is actually a step above the others in my book: wide knot, short loft, finer grade bristles than your typical Omega (no needles thank you) and better backbone than the Zenith and Thater but not as the Proraso Pro.

Note my Thater is half way broken in, so it might change and become out of this world ... maybe...

My Thater also had an impressive amount of needle-like bristles. I usually clip them at half length. Not an issue with a 4.5 euros brush like a Proraso Pro, but at the price the Thater commands I thought that step would be done already.

Have you done this clip process on a Proraso brush? Any pics pls? I have a Proraso Pro and it could be the best boar for me if I soften its bristles a bit more.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've always read that clipping bristles prevents them from developing super desirable split ends. In other words, clipped bristles don't break in.

According to what I've read, the bristles should be clipped at the other end (the bottom end) at the factory, to the appropriate length.

I'm no expert, but this is what I've seen many places.

Omega.Jade.Pro.3-18.640.JPG

The Connaught Omega Jade is a terrific brush. Not saying it's better than my Zeniths or Mondial, but I like it very, very much. A truly premium Omega offering.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom