What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This came in the mail today. It's about time too, all my other cooling racks don't fit inside the baking sheet.

$IMG_1931[1].jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
May I ask what is up with the butcher paper? Is it a nostalgia thing? I know I remember back in the old days (early 80's :biggrin: ) that my grandmother got most of the groceries at the grocery store, but all the meat came from the butcher. I always found the butcher's to be a magical place of awesome.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
May I ask what is up with the butcher paper? Is it a nostalgia thing? I know I remember back in the old days (early 80's :biggrin: ) that my grandmother got most of the groceries at the grocery store, but all the meat came from the butcher. I always found the butcher's to be a magical place of awesome.

yeah the old butchers were cool, they always gave the kids a slice of luncheon sausage or a saveloy.
Now they pack the meat I little plastic bags.:mad3:

I do believe the paper is wrapping the meat instead of foil when smoking a brisket etc.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

yeah the old butchers were cool, they always gave the kids a slice of luncheon sausage or a saveloy.
Now they pack the meat I little plastic bags.:mad3:

I do believe the paper is wrapping the meat instead of foil when smoking a brisket etc.

Give that man a cigar. Owen, Franklin BBQ 101 in his book.

Indeed we have some sharp minds at work here. The peach paper is / can be used in the BBQ for some low and slows on bigger pieces. At 700 feet the roll lasts a long time. One of the big advantages is that your bark does not get effected as much as it would with foil.
I got tired of running out of butchers twine so i got a 5lb spool. I make a lot of roasts and debone lots of chickens and turkey so it is a nessesity for me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Indeed we have some sharp minds at work here. The peach paper is / can be used in the BBQ for some low and slows on bigger pieces. At 700 feet the roll lasts a long time. One of the big advantages is that your bark does not get effected as much as it would with foil.
I got tired of running out of butchers twine so i got a 5lb spool. I make a lot of roasts and debone lots of chickens and turkey so it is a nessesity for me.

Thanks Jim.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Getting ready to get serious about trying to make homemade pizza...

A pizza steel/baking steel made by Nerd Chef...
$Pizza Steel.jpg

and...

a cherry wood pizza peel.
$Pizza Peel.jpg $Pizza Peel 2.jpg

If the homemade pizza thing doesn't workout.... :001_huh: ..... the pizza steel will make a nice heatsink for the oven and the peel makes for some nice wall art. :biggrin:

Intrigued

Nice Connie. I'm sure you will put it to good use for making some killer pizza but the peel sure does make nice a wall art.

Thanks Chris! :001_smile

I'm not so sure about the killer pizza thing...

I'm having some scary visions of what's going to happen to my carefully topped pizzas when I try and move them from the peel to the steel. They ain't pretty! :scared:

I just knew that if this from scratch pizza thing was going to work at all, I'd need a peel and there's really no good place for one in my cupboards. :001_unsur

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Chris! :001_smile

I'm not so sure about the killer pizza thing...

I'm having some scary visions of what's going to happen to my carefully topped pizzas when I try and move them from the peel to the steel. They ain't pretty! :scared:

I just knew that if this from scratch pizza thing was going to work at all, I'd need a peel and there's really no good place for one in my cupboards. :001_unsur

Don't worry Connie, I made mine last night and the bar will be set low for next weekend. I'm sure you and others will step over it no problem.
I could have done with a peel but made do with a second baking sheet instead, as I said the bar is low from me.:lol:

Intrigued

Don't worry Connie, I made mine last night and the bar will be set low for next weekend. I'm sure you and others will step over it no problem.
I could have done with a peel but made do with a second baking sheet instead, as I said the bar is low from me.:lol:

Well, I did read that the pizza steels can make even a store bought pizza taste wayyyyy better! So I have a back up plan. :tongue_sm

Intrigued

I've never heard of a Baking Pizza Steel...but I can't wait to see what Connie pulls off it.

I did some research about the pizza stones vs. pizza steel and found some good articles out there about them. This one from "Serious Eats" clinched it for me:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html

That said, I went with "Nerd Chef" verses "Baking Steel" because the price was better for the Nerd Chef and the holes in theirs should make moving a 15 to 16 lb. hunk of steel easier. :a20:

[MENTION=7330]Intrigued[/MENTION]

Would you believe, I just finished reading that article and book marking it.

I see a Pizza Steel in our future. We bake enough pizza pies, the odd bread and calzones to warrant at least looking in to one.

I bet you could do a quesadilla on there too, we do on our stones. Maybe even nachos?

Last edited:
Top Bottom