What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

brucered

System Generated
That's what I used last time too. I actually did it with some sliced of potatoes too.

Lots of smoke, so I did it on the BBQ side burner.

Lookin' good Andy:thumbup1: If you don't curse when putting one together than you've made a good decision. Oh, and were ganna need to see BBQ'ed wing pictures.

Sadly they had all but disappeared by the time I got back with the camera. Never trust family with wings, never.... :lol:

I don't bother with potatoes. I was them to remove any existing oils or whatever, then heat them on an outside burner and pour in enough canola oil to coat the entire pan. The secret for me is high heat. I used to season them over time. Now I know I can get the same effect in 10 minutes if I've got a good source of heat and I'm not worried about smoking up the house.

Thanks Bob. Interesting seasoning process. Was that what was recommended in the directions with the pan?

Yes. It was a little less specific on the amounts, but the fine folks at Cooks Illustrated recommended it and those amounts in their reviews of the carbon steels back in the fall.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Pink Butcher paper came in today.

$image.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Matfer Bourgeat 11" came in today. It's hefty. I seasoned with the potato skin, oil, salt thing. I may be in love at first sight.

$image.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
^^^Looks good Aaron.
Now it is worthless useless it can fry some eggs with out sicking. Photos will do. :w00t:

How about a video instead?

I seasoned the pan like it said in the directions (I think), which were in English but?....well here it is:

$IMG_1918[1].jpg

I added a small pat of butter.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Try that with a stainless steel pan.

Non-stick coated pans start out great (albeit at lower heat) then get worse with each use. Carbon pans may underwhelm you at first but keep getting better with age.

brucered

System Generated
Not as exciting as Aarons carbon steel, but I scored some free Oak today.

Still needs proper drying and then splitting....there are a couple potential natural fork slingshots in the front too.

$IMG_20160426_164733.jpg

Pop & DOT arrived this morning, ordered on the weekend from ThermoWorks, three days for an International order, pretty good.

Size comparison with my old Taylor analogue probe which still works fine after many years but is just soo slooow, welcome to the 21st century.

proxy.php

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Not as exciting as Aarons carbon steel, but I scored some free Oak today.

Still needs proper drying and then splitting....there are a couple potential natural fork slingshots in the front too.

View attachment 654677

We'll need to see that in action.

Pop & DOT arrived this morning, ordered on the weekend from ThermoWorks, three days for an International order, pretty good.

Size comparison with my old Taylor analogue probe which still works fine after many years but is just soo slooow, welcome to the 21st century.

proxy.php

dave

We'll need to see that in action.

Top Bottom