What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

I've had this a while but it's been out for rehandling by the illustrious Dave Martell: "Tadatsuna cleaver converted from full tang (triple rivet) to a hidden tang single pin mosaic pin handled in Hawaiian Koa".

Dave did an outstanding job!

proxy.php

Ran out of a few seasonings, and the others are getting old, so...

whole seeds: toasted sesame, brown mustard, Tellicherry black peppercorns, fenugreek
chile powder: ancho, cayenne, Hungarian sharp paprika, Hungarian sweet paprika
dried herbs: rubbed sage, lemon grass, Turkish bay leaves, summer savory, sweet basil, Greek oregano, marjoram, French thyme
dried mushrooms: porcini, shiitake, oyster
misc: ground turmeric, juniper berries, cinnamon sticks, cassia sticks, vanilla beans
mistakes: ground caraway (Checked the wrong button. Wanted the whole seeds.)

I enjoy dried broken basil in buttery scrambled eggs with cayenne, but I would never use it instead of fresh basil. It's very different.
The powdered ancho is just to have a simple, quick flavoring. Usually use whole chiles for serious cooking (and have some in the pantry).
Makes me think... Whole cayenne would be better than powdered, but how do you powder it in minute quantities? Blade-type coffee grinder?

Still need to make a couple of trips, especially to the Indian neighborhood.

Now... what to cook tonight?

I've had this a while but it's been out for rehandling by the illustrious Dave Martell: "Tadatsuna cleaver converted from full tang (triple rivet) to a hidden tang single pin mosaic pin handled in Hawaiian Koa".

Dave did an outstanding job!

proxy.php
Nice! I want a cleaver but I don't know how often I would use it. I know I can do whatever I want to with it...

Looks great. Ive got knife envy again.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Expensive week.
Tojiro DP 210mm Gyuto and a Weber grill.
Pics on arrival!

Some haul. Five years from now, long after you forgot how much you paid for them, you'll remember a lot of great meals that you prepared. :thumbup1:

15 years from now if I remember my name I'll be happy.
If I manage not to burn fingers off or cut any more off I'll be even happier.

Big. Green. Egg.

Was just told my main Father's Day gift is a large size Big Green Egg from my thoughtful wife. She already surprised me with a Martin de Candre brain bowl.

Needless to say I'm scrambling to learn all about it. I have a nest, plate setter, cast iron grill, ash scooper, and a cover coming with it. I'm taking delivery in a week.

I'm looking at which thermometer(s) to get. Ribs and pork shoulders, here I come!

Big. Green. Egg.

Was just told my main Father's Day gift is a large size Big Green Egg from my thoughtful wife. She already surprised me with a Martin de Candre brain bowl.

Needless to say I'm scrambling to learn all about it. I have a nest, plate setter, cast iron grill, ash scooper, and a cover coming with it. I'm taking delivery in a week.

I'm looking at which thermometer(s) to get. Ribs and pork shoulders, here I come!

Which CI grate did you get? I've been eyeing one myself to go with the new BGE...

Big. Green. Egg.

You must be doing something right!

Top Bottom