What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

My wife returned from Japan with a few new toys for me. For my birthday she got me one knife and her mother bought me another. Here are my new honetsuki and gyuto. The gyuto was purchased at a traditional knife show that happened to be going on in her hometown while she was visiting her family. She got to talk with the maker and he offered to hone it for life. Of course, I can't imagine shipping it back and forth to Japan for honing, especially when I have my own stones, but the sentiment is true Japanese!

Together with the brussels sprouts that were just sliced up with the gyuto​

$CAM00120_zps1b9d74f4.jpgSorry for cell phone pick with bad lighting. AEB-L steel, Rosewood handle, ebony ferrule and very thing and light! Made dinner prep take no time at all.

Last edited:
Received a package from Modernist Pantry in Maine with Kappa Carrageenan, Agar Agar, and Xanthan Gum. Let the cheesemaking begin!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Bought a BGE. Now I need to break it to SWMBO before they deliver it on Wednesday...

No use practicing on us . . . You are going to have to produce some or many great meals on that to make up for the surprise. You will live. And I know you can take pictures so I expect some in the coming months.

always wanted a decent apron for BBQing. saw this for $12.99 on my trip to the US this w/end and picked it up.

decent material, dark colour for stains, no lights no bottle openers, just a straight up apron.

I also snagged a couple hard plastic serving dishes (1 for chicken, 1 for pork) for when i do wings and ribs (I'll post pics of those on use)

$6474.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
always wanted a decent apron for BBQing. saw this for $12.99 on my trip to the US this w/end and picked it up.

decent material, dark colour for stains, no lights no bottle openers, just a straight up apron.

I also snagged a couple hard plastic serving dishes (1 for chicken, 1 for pork) for when i do wings and ribs (I'll post pics of those on use)

View attachment 336226

Great idea. I spend a disproportionate amount of time taking grease stains out of my shirts with an array of chemicals. I really should wear something at the BBQ and even in the kitchen.

It has arrived:

SWMBO took it better than I thought she was going to when she returned from errands to find it sitting in the patio:

For those who don't speak Japanese, "Naze" means "why"

I was looking at getting the 210 petty Richmond laser. It's between that and a Ginga 210 petty from Jon at JKI.
Love my laser. It doesn't work the best for chopping parsley to as fine as I need it but I stilll have other knives to use for that. I love to let other chefs and cooks use the laser when they are just cutting things and watch the look on their face as it just zips through it. I'm trying to get kitchen enabling points. :)

I can't speak of the pettys or anything Ginga. If JKI has them it has to be good but the same goes with the Richmond name IMO.

Last week was a big week for me. My large Big Green Egg was delivered on Tuesday, and a shiny new Thermapen in British Racing Green was delivered on Wednesday. I picked up the adjustable rig and pizza stone from Ceramic Grill Store, so I should be ready to go.

So far everything I've made has been very tasty, and a step above what it was on the gas grill. My biggest fear is that I would get the new grill and not be able to tell much of a difference from the food I made with propane. I couldn't have been farther from the truth. Everything I've made so far has been so much more moist and flavorful. I think having a good quality meat thermometer helps a lot, but even the first cook without it turned out amazing.

Last week was a big week for me. My large Big Green Egg was delivered on Tuesday, and a shiny new Thermapen in British Racing Green was delivered on Wednesday. I picked up the adjustable rig and pizza stone from Ceramic Grill Store, so I should be ready to go.

So far everything I've made has been very tasty, and a step above what it was on the gas grill. My biggest fear is that I would get the new grill and not be able to tell much of a difference from the food I made with propane. I couldn't have been farther from the truth. Everything I've made so far has been so much more moist and flavorful. I think having a good quality meat thermometer helps a lot, but even the first cook without it turned out amazing.

that was my thinking and experience too. I didnt' think the ceramic cooker would make that much of an impact on the quality of the food and easy of long time cooking, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

it holds heat for hours, tastes amazing and is so easy to operate.

I still don't have a wired probe thermometer for briskets and such, but did get a Thermapen and it was a great investement (even thought it was a Xmas Gift) it is a great tool to use. never thought I'd want or own a $90 instant read thermometer, but I can't believe I cooked for all those years without one now.

be sure to post some pics of your meals in the The Thin Blue Smoke thread V- B&B's BBQ depository

I still don't have a wired probe thermometer for briskets and such, but did get a Thermapen and it was a great investement (even thought it was a Xmas Gift) it is a great tool to use. never thought I'd want or own a $90 instant read thermometer, but I can't believe I cooked for all those years without one now.

be sure to post some pics of your meals in the The Thin Blue Smoke thread V- B&B's BBQ depository

I've been thinking the same thing about the Thermapen after using it a few times. I'd previously been using an Oxo analog thermometer, and it would take a good 10 seconds to get a reading, which wasn't always accurate. The food I've been cooking is so much juicier and tender, that without the Thermapen or another quality thermometer, I would think it was nowhere near done.

I'll definitely be posting some pictures in the BBQ thread. I always open it up and drool over everyone's meals, and now hopefully I can contribute!

Top Bottom