What's new

Merkur Progress vs. Osprey, Variant & Ambassador?

My long-handle Progress has over the years consistently been a razor that I had to account as one of my best in terms of close, hassle-free shaves. I bought mine 6 or 7 years ago at an Art of Shaving, back when they had retail stores.

Which is why I was disappointed to notice a couple of weeks ago, this.
View attachment 1750658
And this.
View attachment 1750659
Chrome plating failure and "Zamak rot". A problem that could be avoided if the Progress was made of chromed brass pieces rather than Zamak pot metal.

I have a Parker Variant at the bottom of a moving box somewhere. It disassembled itself when I was unscrewing the top cap. That was awhile ago and I guess I didn't get it back together satisfactorily and lost interest in it.

I don't have an Osprey or Ambassador. I do have a Pearl Flexi, which I only shaved once with, yesterday. I do like it.
Zamack........

Use then clean and dry......if stored maybe a drop of mineral oil..... and then there are: Gillette adjustable razors......very old and still functioning well.

Gillette razors have had to be loosened for what now, 70+yrs?
Gillette adjustable razors do not need to be loosened before adjusting. You can if you want, but it is not a necessary step. All 16 of my vintage Gillette adjustable click through all the settings smoothly with a blade clamped in, no issues.

@Greg788 , what did you finally decide to do regarding a possible adustable razor upgrade?

@SmokedStanley 's post reminded me that we now have two current production razors, the Rockwell T2 and Razorock Adjust, that use the same type of adjustment mechanism found in the Gillette adjustables from the 1960's on. The Rockwell appears to be a nice premium razor with a mild to moderate aggressiveness range for around $100-$150. The Razorock Adjust (rebranded Baili) is a budget razor for under $15.

Details on these are posted via the link below:

I
I like the Progress platform. My razors are the Mergress and the Opgress, but they are just modified Progress razors. The only difference is the stainless steel or brass replacement knob and adjustment mechanism. The shave is exactly the same.

View attachment 1760353

To me, the Progress is very hard to beat.

View attachment 1760354

There are a slew of adjustables in my stable, but not the Ambassador. From what I've heard the Rex Ambassador is considerably less smooth than the milder Rex Konsul which I do have. I like the Konsul okay, but not as much as the Progress platform razors.

View attachment 1760356

I purchased, used for a month, and returned the Osprey. In my opinion, other than the adjustment knob/numbers issues, it's a good razor, but it's not smoother than the Progress nor is it more efficient as settings which suit me. I much prefer the Progress shaves.

View attachment 1760357
The Taiga is an excellent razor for me.

However, they are pretty much unobtanium right now as they're made in Russia.​

Other adjustables in my collection include the Sailor, the Muramasa, both Pearls, and a number of others. I like several of them about as much as the Mergress and the Opgress, but I notice that I tend to reach for the Progress platform more often and more consistently.

Usually I use three different settings when shaving with all adjustables, but I can manage a good shave on one low setting with the Progress.

The Muramasa is a great shaving razor for me, but it's not great for guys who do not prefer their adjustables on the mild side. I like mild but effective razors.​
View attachment 1760358

The Progress is hard to beat. Too bad it's not made in brass. However, it's not too expensive to replace if the zamac fails.l

My beard is of what I consider to be average density and thickness. I have wiry old man whiskers. Some areas are very hard to shave to a smooth level, but the Progress allows me to achieve the shaves I want. I like drama-free, easy, close, comfortable, and long lasting shaves.

I might have saved myself a lot of money if I'd bought the Progress years sooner.

I doubt that helps much, but maybe I'm wrong.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I don't get why there is no numbering on the Opgress. I would have thought it would sell a lot better if there was.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't get why there is no numbering on the Opgress. I would have thought it would sell a lot better if there was.

It doesn't matter at all to me. It's very easily and precisely and reproducibly adjusted by using a system involving 1/8 of a dial rotation, or 2/8, or 3/8, etc. Easy as pie.

I use the same system with the Mergress which has numbers because it's easier and faster.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom