What's new

Merkur Progress vs. Osprey, Variant & Ambassador?

I like the Progress but how does it compare in your experience in comfort (smoothness) to Osprey, Variant & Ambassador? Worth upgrading to Osprey or Ambassador? I'd say efficiency is also worth comparing because the differences in blade clamping and manufacturing tolerances mean at approximately the same settings (mild or medium or aggressive), does the Osprey or Ambassador provide a closer shave with same or greater smoothness? I searched the forum and google, couldn't find much on this, oddly

I like the Progress but how does it compare in your experience in comfort (smoothness) to Osprey, Variant & Ambassador? Worth upgrading to Osprey or Ambassador? I'd say efficiency is also worth comparing because the differences in blade clamping and manufacturing tolerances mean at approximately the same settings (mild or medium or aggressive), does the Osprey or Ambassador provide a closer shave with same or greater smoothness? I searched the forum and google, couldn't find much on this, oddly
I think that would be because the Osprey is so new to the market and even if you did find a comparison, it likely would only be against the Ambassador or the Muramasa only. The Progress and Variant are much older and from what I've read, much milder to what is offered today. There are a few threads in this forum as well as others that I've read that do compare it to the Rex with the Osprey coming out on top as far as mechanical and range.

You might want to take a look through this thread though as I remember some comparisons there...

Just thinking out loud hear but you may want to ask Jim, @Chan Eil Whiskers as he is very informed when it comes to adjustables and I believe has a few of these...

Adjustable are a different animal. I personally never found one I like. Mainly because I have a great selection of keepers in my den. I have no need for one.
Now I am a bit odd because I frequently shave with 2 razors when using a DE. One Starter, One Closer...
I may use one of my slants (stater) for 2 passes. Then use a nice thin head (ie RR GC 76-P) DE as a closer for just around the pie hole touch ups.
So I just the best tools in the den(s) for the job. I don't need some thick headed oversize spring adjustable gap gadget. But hey, that is just me.
Sorry, the ones you are referencing ...no clue..but they each seem to be oddly different to me . Progress, I have heard is a good work horse, lots of positive reviews. Seems like a great bang for the buck.
I put that as a zamak adjustable, not that is bad, just cheaper to produce ..tolerances ..no clue..
The other two are in the much higher price zones.
Ambassador 300 bucks -S.S. - Gillette Gibbs high end refined clone.
Osprey 350 bucks -S.S. w/ brass insert - features 1.4mm of adjustment over nine levels - new design

So good luck on this one.
There are certainly threads on all of these.
Comparison, not sure if someone would have all three here. But you never know.
I am not sure also if there is a generic adjustable thread.

From all my experience, it really comes down to a buy and try.
It the only sure way to know.
Maybe monitor the F.S. thread or create a WTB tread..
Info is always great to have but again it takes a test drive for about a week to know.

Good Luck, Best..
BFX

My long-handle Progress has over the years consistently been a razor that I had to account as one of my best in terms of close, hassle-free shaves. I bought mine 6 or 7 years ago at an Art of Shaving, back when they had retail stores.

Which is why I was disappointed to notice a couple of weeks ago, this.
20231118_175305.jpg

And this.
20231118_175316.jpg

Chrome plating failure and "Zamak rot". A problem that could be avoided if the Progress was made of chromed brass pieces rather than Zamak pot metal.

I have a Parker Variant at the bottom of a moving box somewhere. It disassembled itself when I was unscrewing the top cap. That was awhile ago and I guess I didn't get it back together satisfactorily and lost interest in it.

I don't have an Osprey or Ambassador. I do have a Pearl Flexi, which I only shaved once with, yesterday. I do like it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My long-handle Progress has over the years consistently been a razor that I had to account as one of my best in terms of close, hassle-free shaves. I bought mine 6 or 7 years ago at an Art of Shaving, back when they had retail stores.

Which is why I was disappointed to notice a couple of weeks ago, this.
View attachment 1750658
And this.
View attachment 1750659
Chrome plating failure and "Zamak rot". A problem that could be avoided if the Progress was made of chromed brass pieces rather than Zamak pot metal.

I have a Parker Variant at the bottom of a moving box somewhere. It disassembled itself when I was unscrewing the top cap. That was awhile ago and I guess I didn't get it back together satisfactorily and lost interest in it.

I don't have an Osprey or Ambassador. I do have a Pearl Flexi, which I only shaved once with, yesterday. I do like it.
Merkur sells replacement parts at pretty decent prices. I have backup top caps for the Merkur razors our youngest son and I have, just in case. I doubt mine will ever corrode as I'm not as young as I was 50 years ago. <eg>... but if our son continues to use his, he might need them.

The Ambassador is an excellent razor, but you have to like blade feel.
It also seems to stick to your face a bit, making the Progress infinatly more smooth. I bought my Ambassador when it was 220 euro's. Today it's 320, which is too expensive for my taste.

The Ambassador is more aggressive and not as smooth compared to a Progress. I love both,but much prefer the Ambassadors appearance.

As a result of this thread I took out my Progress and used it this morning. I had not used it in quite some time. It gave a most excellent shave. Definitely some blade feel but manageable.

I'll use it again tomorrow and then the next day I'll use my Lupo 95, the razor that I have that gives me the closest shaves. And then compare them.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
The short handled version is nearly a no brainer for anyone who happens to live in Canada as well 68 CAD (50 USD) (!!!) on Amazon Canada.

Definitely glad I bought mine. I don't use often, but enjoy it when I do.

I have the Parker Variant and the Pearl Flexi. Both razors give me great shaves. I have read that the Variant shaves similarly to the Progress and the Flexi shaves similarly to the Ambassador. If that's the case, I'm sure I would like the Progress and the Ambassador. However, for me, the adjustability isn't a big selling point as I generally pick an adjustment setting and leave it there (I'm not one who changes the adjustment mid-shave).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I like the Progress platform. My razors are the Mergress and the Opgress, but they are just modified Progress razors. The only difference is the stainless steel or brass replacement knob and adjustment mechanism. The shave is exactly the same.

9-3-23.Opgress&Mergress.640JPG.JPG

To me, the Progress is very hard to beat.

9-19-23.Konsul.GD.Lavender.ZenCopMan.640.JPG

There are a slew of adjustables in my stable, but not the Ambassador. From what I've heard the Rex Ambassador is considerably less smooth than the milder Rex Konsul which I do have. I like the Konsul okay, but not as much as the Progress platform razors.

11-2-23.Osprey.Mike's.2019LE.Mistura.640.JPG

I purchased, used for a month, and returned the Osprey. In my opinion, other than the adjustment knob/numbers issues, it's a good razor, but it's not smoother than the Progress nor is it more efficient as settings which suit me. I much prefer the Progress shaves.

11-30-23.Taiga.Mike's.C&H-Mozingo.640.JPG

The Taiga is an excellent razor for me.

However, they are pretty much unobtanium right now as they're made in Russia.​

Other adjustables in my collection include the Sailor, the Muramasa, both Pearls, and a number of others. I like several of them about as much as the Mergress and the Opgress, but I notice that I tend to reach for the Progress platform more often and more consistently.

Usually I use three different settings when shaving with all adjustables, but I can manage a good shave on one low setting with the Progress.

The Muramasa is a great shaving razor for me, but it's not great for guys who do not prefer their adjustables on the mild side. I like mild but effective razors.​
4-20-23.Muramasa.Mike's.DSCosmeticMistura.640.JPG

The Progress is hard to beat. Too bad it's not made in brass. However, it's not too expensive to replace if the zamac fails.l

My beard is of what I consider to be average density and thickness. I have wiry old man whiskers. Some areas are very hard to shave to a smooth level, but the Progress allows me to achieve the shaves I want. I like drama-free, easy, close, comfortable, and long lasting shaves.

I might have saved myself a lot of money if I'd bought the Progress years sooner.

I doubt that helps much, but maybe I'm wrong.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Progress used to be my favorite adjustable, I had both a Mergress and Opgress like Chan, but ever since I experienced some plating damage for no apparent reason I won't go near one. I really only buy aluminum, stainless and titanium now. Durability is really important to me; I hate the feeling of loss when something that I value degrades.

I also won't go near the Osprey because of the added step required of loosening the handle before an adjustment can be made. To me it's a poorly designed and unsafe adjustable for this reason alone, but aside from that I'm sure it shaves well. (The Blackbird Ti is one of my top performing razors, so I'm sure the Osprey delivers great results as well.)

You can't beat an Ambassador, they're great if you like stainless and blade-feel.

I think we need more titanium adjustable options. I could be wrong, but I still think there is only one option here, the HLS Taiga (which is difficult to get, but not impossible from what I've seen). There is also the Muramasa Ti, I guess, but I have yet to see that become available. Maybe it has and I missed it, but I've never actually seen it available for sale.

I also won't go near the Osprey because of the added step required of loosening the handle before an adjustment can be made. To me it's a poorly designed and unsafe adjustable for this reason alone, but aside from that I'm sure it shaves well. (The Blackbird Ti is one of my top performing razors, so I'm sure the Osprey delivers great results as well.)
Of all the things I've read about the Osprey this has to be the worst justification for not buying a razor!! Why exactly is it dangerous to have to loosen the handle to adjust the razor and how does that make it a poorly designed razor? Gillette razors have had to be loosened for what now, 70+yrs?

Top Bottom