What's new

Merkur 37c, the smoothest razor of all time?

Hello Badger and Blade, Ive posted here a good bit (though still not that much) about my successes and failures with various high end razors in relation to the Merkur 37c. I have very high standards for how a razor cuts, as I was unfortunately cursed by some higher malefic being when I was born to have horribly coarse, curly hair combined with horrible inflammatory sebhorriec dermatitis all under my beard. My first razor was a Merkur 37c, I had some rough shaves with it initially since I was brand spankin' new and had a beard for probably 7 years before starting to wet shave. But once I got the basics down the Merkur 37c gave my sublime shaves. I thought this was the rule, not the exception, when it came to wetshaving tools. I figured most any other razor could give me a similar shave and it was then that I embarked on a long, grueling, frivolous, and most importantly gratuitously expensive journey to find a stainless steel razor that matched my zamac Merkur 37c. Over the course of that year and a half I used the ATT S1, the ATT S2, the ATT aluminum S1, the Timeless .95, the Timeless .68, the Karve B,C, and D, the Tatara Nodachi and the Tatara Masamune, and finally the Blackland Blackbird and am absolutely floored to have had so many beautiful and superbly designed razors in my den. However I have been equally floored by the fact that none of them match the shave I get with the Merkur. None of them, none even come close for me. The Merkurs design is the only one that feelings like it cuts closely, smoothly, and most importantly without hide nor hair of a tug when it is doing the cutting. And cuts closely enough in one pass that I am free of irritation even with Sebhorriec Dermatitis. So here I am, I have sold all of my stainless steel razors and am back at square one with the Merkur 37c and am left wondering how the first razor I ever bought was also the best for me- along with wishing that there was a Merkur 37c in brass so that I don't have to worry about the razor degrading over time. Anyways, I guess the moral of the story is that time tested Solingen designs often work better than even the most deceptively beautiful and highly reviewed razors, so tread carefully with that RAD my friends!

-Seth

Hello Badger and Blade, Ive posted here a good bit (though still not that much) about my successes and failures with various high end razors in relation to the Merkur 37c. I have very high standards for how a razor cuts, as I was unfortunately cursed by some higher malefic being when I was born to have horribly coarse, curly hair combined with horrible inflammatory sebhorriec dermatitis all under my beard. My first razor was a Merkur 37c, I had some rough shaves with it initially since I was brand spankin' new and had a beard for probably 7 years before starting to wet shave. But once I got the basics down the Merkur 37c gave my sublime shaves. I thought this was the rule, not the exception, when it came to wetshaving tools. I figured most any other razor could give me a similar shave and it was then that I embarked on a long, grueling, frivolous, and most importantly gratuitously expensive journey to find a stainless steel razor that matched my zamac Merkur 37c. Over the course of that year and a half I used the ATT S1, the ATT S2, the ATT aluminum S1, the Timeless .95, the Timeless .68, the Karve B,C, and D, the Tatara Nodachi and the Tatara Masamune, and finally the Blackland Blackbird and am absolutely floored to have had so many beautiful and superbly designed razors in my den. However I have been equally floored by the fact that none of them match the shave I get with the Merkur. None of them, none even come close for me. The Merkurs design is the only one that feelings like it cuts closely, smoothly, and most importantly without hide nor hair of a tug when it is doing the cutting. And cuts closely enough in one pass that I am free of irritation even with Sebhorriec Dermatitis. So here I am, I have sold all of my stainless steel razors and am back at square one with the Merkur 37c and am left wondering how the first razor I ever bought was also the best for me- along with wishing that there was a Merkur 37c in brass so that I don't have to worry about the razor degrading over time. Anyways, I guess the moral of the story is that time tested Solingen designs often work better than even the most deceptively beautiful and highly reviewed razors, so tread carefully with that RAD my friends!

-Seth
Thanks for sharing. A good read indeed.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

thanks, Seth, for such an illustrious post!
my merkur long handle also gives a great shave!
sad that they are headed to extinction!

I'm not a fan of slants really but I'll agree it seems hard to improve on Merkur's designs. I think the 34c, Progress, and Futur are among the best designed razors ever made. I'll also agree that I wish they were made from more durable materials but I've been shaving this way for pretty close to a decade and I've yet to have a Merkur or any other zamac razor fail on me yet. I'm sure it'll happen eventually but they last a pretty long time. Get yourself a spare 37c or two and you should probably be set for life.

Congrats on finding the razor that works best for you.

My experience was similar; I have 20 razors at this point, but the razor that works best for me is an $8.00 Razorok Teck 2, that IB threw in as a free gift on an order a while back.

The first one started to get thread rot after a few years, so I just bought 3 more as backups :)

I'm not a fan of slants really but I'll agree it seems hard to improve on Merkur's designs. I think the 34c, Progress, and Futur are among the best designed razors ever made. I'll also agree that I wish they were made from more durable materials but I've been shaving this way for pretty close to a decade and I've yet to have a Merkur or any other zamac razor fail on me yet. I'm sure it'll happen eventually but they last a pretty long time. Get yourself a spare 37c or two and you should probably be set for life.
So far the slant argument has inexplicably proven to be true for me. I have a 34c and a 37c and the 37c is indisputably smoother. Maybe I will just buy some spares but man I wish one of those razors had worked! Even the above the tie slant was worse than the 37c, though still better than any of the straight bars. Wish my skin wasn't so finicky!

Glad the Merkur 37 worked so well for you. But other shavers have different stories. Shaving, shavers and razors are highly YMMV.
Honestly this was more tinged with sadness than what maybe is evident by how I wrote it. I really wanted some of those razors to work for me, since most of them could last a lifetime. Bummer.

The Razorock German 37 is a three-piece razor based on the older generation Merkur slants. The advantage is that you can choose from many handles. You can buy the head by itself for $12 or the complete razor for $20. At those prices, you can easily keep a spare. I also have a Merkur 23c and that can accept other handles. It can take the place of a 33c.

The Razorock German 37 is a three-piece razor based on the older generation Merkur slants. The advantage is that you can choose from many handles. You can buy the head by itself for $12 or the complete razor for $20. At those prices, you can easily keep a spare. I also have a Merkur 23c and that can accept other handles. It can take the place of a 33c.
I actually have this razor already. It IS very efficient. The most efficient razor I own. So much so that I'd have to use a derby to avoid giving myself horrible razor burn lol. The 37c seems perfect for daily shaving by comparison

yes, the Gentile is ultra mild, I'd stick with the 37C.
Shoot. The all brass really appeal to the buy it for lifer in me. What makes it so mild? The blade gap looks similar and it almost seems more torqued than the 37c

Shoot. The all brass really appeal to the buy it for lifer in me. What makes it so mild? The blade gap looks similar and it almost seems more torqued than the 37c
Sorry, didn't know you were referring to the slant, thought you meant the standard solid bar Fatip. I have NOT useda a Fatip slant.

Top Bottom