What's new

Mediterranean diet?

Hello there. My Doctor recently suggested I look into the Mediterranean diet due to elevated cholesterol. I'm curious if anyone follows this diet (or similar) and has some "go to" dishes they could recommend. I do need to avoid shellfish, as my wife is allergic. I also need to avoid egg, as my oldest daughter is allergic (she also prefers beef...so I may have a bit of a problem there). Finally, I'm unfortunately NOT someone who enjoys cooking - though I do enjoy eating! So if you've got something that's not very complicated AND kid friendly....let me know!

Mediterranean diet is a vague term that means different things. You could look at the DASH diet which is similar. There are some good books and websites on it. Plenty of recipes and sample meal plans.

Less processed foods. Reduced amounts of salt and sugar. Higher percentage of fresh vegetables and fruits. Whole grains where possible. Use less red meat, use fish, legumes, vegetarian options instead. While using only moderate amounts of oil, favor oils that have high monosaturated fat content, such as olive oil. A little red wine won't hurt you.

No, sorry, pouring olive oil over everything and drinking bottles of red wine daily is not a Mediterranean diet.
:biggrin:

I'm from Italy, and trust me, there never was any well defined Mediterranean diet, since there are thousands and thousands of recipes out there.

Mediterranean diet is just lingo for "eat more vegetables and less meat". That's what your doctor is trying to inform you about.

Lettuce, olive oil, white vinegar and balsamic (sparingly). My every night salad. Add onions, tomatoes, cucumber - healthy and delicious. I eat a lot of baked and grilled salmon and soups (broths, minestone etc.). Fresh food is good. Prepare it from scratch. Get a vegetarian cookbook - you can’t go wrong.

It basically comes down to leaner proteins or ones with good fatty acid profiles, more vegetables and fruit and less sugars and starches, high quality cheeses. Healthy oils in moderation are a plus; you're eliminating inflammatory and processed oils (soybean and vegetable oils) and opting instead for things like REAL olive oil, avocado and macadamia nut oil. Less processed everything. Purists will tell you that anything that can't be found in that particular region can't be part of the Mediterranean diet but I view it as more of a concept and way of eating than anything set in stone.

Cholesterol is iffy and may not change much as your profile is highly genetic, so don't expect miracles. Any way you put it, though, this is a very sustainable way of eating that should improve all your health markers. There are so many guides out there you can't really even touch on it here. You can do vegetarian Mediterranean, vegan Mediterranean, keto Mediterranean...you get the picture. Get the basics down and make it yours and your family's WOE (way of eating).

American do not do much physically exercise at work, and most get no exercise off work. Cut out the stuff that is full of GREASE, FAT, LARD, and start walking or doing some physical stuff. Cut down on Butter, Milk, Creams, Rich Sauces and the things we all love.

People on Okinawa, live long healthy lives, scientists have studied what they eat. Simple diet with lot of green stuff, and small portions of Fish n Meet. Plus rice.

What Is the Okinawa Diet? Foods, Longevity, and More - https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/okinawa-diet

Tponigh I will be bad, Mexican Food, only twice a month, not my diet daily.

I generally follow a Mediterranean Diet, or more correctly the MIND diet, which is a combination of Mediterranean and DASH. Trying to abide strictly by the rules of any diet will drive you crazy. The main things I did were to include plenty of fruits and vegetables, fiber, fish, lean protein, olive oil, leafy greens....well, you get the picture. Also, I avoid heart-attack-on-a-plate meals that have loads of saturated fat, added sugar and are highly processed. I also add abundant physical activity

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This morning I had Cheerios, sliced strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries with whole milk on it and a glass of orange juice.

Tonight I had some roasted potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, and baked Orange Roughy. It was gooood. I eat more chicken and fish lately, and instead of Del Monte canned green beans I get the fresh green beans, broccoli, asparagus, etc. and cook it at home. Doc has told me the same thing. He is pushing the DASH diet. They must have a racket going on.

In the twilight years of my life I'm not giving up the things I love, even if it will give me a couple of more years. This weekend all bets are off.

Examples:

BBQ

Bologna sandwiches

Corn Dogs

Hamburgers and French Fries

Bacon, Eggs, and Hash Browns

Pancakes, butter, and Maple syrup

Beer

Pipe tobacco

Oh, and my world famous San Antonio Chili

I'll do the healthy stuff in moderation.

All things in moderation (kinda sorta).

The OPs question has been answered if full in the above posts, so I thought I'd throw this in.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I do need to avoid shellfish, as my wife is allergic

Well, the main concept behind a diet is being healthier through what you eat. Since anaphylactic shock probably doesn't count as "healthier", skip the shellfish.

But how is she with fish-fish? Lots of great options there.

I also need to avoid egg, as my oldest daughter is allergic (she also prefers beef...

Apart from carbonara pasta, I don't really think of eggs as necessary to Med food, so not a big issue. If you want to be traditional with the Med meat, lamb is probably better than beef but "either or" and that's fine.

unfortunately NOT someone who enjoys cooking

Greek salad:
equal amounts tomatoes, cucumbers, green bell peppers, and sweet white onions, all diced. A few cloves of garlic thinly sliced. A healthy dollop of EVOO*, and calamatia olives (look for the pitted ones) ... ideally the same amount as the other veggies but some people wimp out and go light.

Add feta cheese ... again, ideally the same amount as each of the veggies. Some people cube it (same size as the veggies) while others crumble it. You choose.

Thanks for the replies - I think I've got it on the basics. I'll try to find some easy recipes and MAYBE I can even find something the kids will also eat.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My doctor told me that the best thing for cholesterol is to lose weight and increase physical activity, and he was correct. It doesn't take a lot (30 minutes for 5 days per week--doesn't have to be all at once--or 20 minutes vigorous for 3 days per week). If you're making good choces on diet and activity, weight sort of takes care of itself. Also mind your drinking as that both increases cholesterol and tryglicerides all by itself but also adds calories a lot quicker than one might think.

I don't mean to ignore your doctor's advice. Far from it. Many of us could do with more veggies and less saturated fat, but that's just one lever of many.

Also, cut out some or all of your refined sugar. It's absolutely ridiculous the things that have so much sugar added to them in the US.

And I'll tell you this: it's not the Mediterranean diet that such a big deal. It's the Mediterranean lifestyle (also that of most of the world). They move a lot. They walk, bike, play soccer, etc. They don't sit on their duffs all day, whether in a chair or in a car, like yours truly.

I've found this site to be helpful.

Lots of good information.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm down almost 90 pounds since January of 2022. How did I do it? It is pretty simple... stop eating all the foods you crave. I grew up on what I affectionately call "white trash food".... Kraft Mac & Cheese, lots of starchy things that fill up a kid but are horrible for you. When you are poor, that's what you eat.

I have a very simple eating lifestyle now. I eat proteins, fresh vegetables and the "good" fats. I found out, vegetables I used to detest taste amazing if you roast them.... I even love brussel sprouts now. <eg>

I had to forsake all the comfort foods. A simple choice.... stay way overweight or change my lifestyle for the rest of my life and enjoy activities those extra pounds kept me from enjoying.

My arthritis doctor is doing the same thing. She's lost weight as well and has way more energy.

Top Bottom