What's new

March 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - DFS and a walk through the old Jewish Quarter of Prague

BDA765DB-C261-4DC5-AE04-BEA8FF513FD7.jpeg

4DC46331-7272-4D87-BE79-E9345AECEB9D.jpeg

3DF5CBF4-721D-4079-852E-E4F60CDD9A15.jpeg

8DE3E416-DF0C-4737-B4C9-0AF8A227F7E8.jpeg

E32414D4-F0CF-424D-AE15-AC3E8BEC437B.jpeg

Hi Guys,

I doubt anyone was worried, but I'm still around. :)

Sorry, I had to dip out on Page 6. Easter is a very, very busy time for me at work; on top of that, the company I work for was acquired and I've been getting pulled in a lot of directions. On top of that, there's been a family emergency in SWMBO's family, and she is away dealing with that, leaving me to handle the dogs and some home-improvement projects we had scheduled. I just haven't had time to check in.

I'll try to catch up on the news and the "outs". That may take a while, since I see that this post will show up on Page 28!

Cheers,
Brandon

Gentlemen,

it is with great regret that I have to inform you that my Rex Ambassador needs a stand for adequate protection in the bathroom and I have been forced to recommend a gift. :surrender: The stand has been ordered and will soon be on its way to me.

I am therefore out.

I hope to be able to join your ranks again next month and wish all my fellow campaigners every success in their noble endeavors.

One last GRUME souvenir photo to say goodbye.
  • Razor: Rex Ambassador
  • Blade: Feather
  • Brush: Mühle Sophist Badger Silvertip
  • Pre-Shave: Proraso white
  • Shaving Soap: Mühle Sea Buckthorn
  • After Shave: Mühle Aloe Vera Balm

View attachment 1810801

As usual have zero restraint ordered Parker Variant OC this morning on payday

Day 19, and I am out. A JNat came up for sale locally and, without the extortionate international postage fees that I am sadly accustomed to paying, the temptation was too much. No regrets as it looks like a lovely stone and was very reasonably priced. C'est la vie. :D

Great shave today, though. I hope you all enjoy yours! I'll stick around but now the dam has broken, I'll likely stumble again before pulling myself together for April! :)

I’m out. I ordered a Brassbird Lite before they were gone. Hopefully I do better in April. I wish everyone good luck in making the finish line.

Have a blessed day.

Catching up on the "outs", and it's not too bad. Of course, when we lose anyone - or several, as the case may be - it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC, FFFMM
2) silverlifter - out (3/18: JNat)
3) @Bsamps - GRUYERE
4) @Jayson74 - GRUYERE
5) @Doti B
6) @Guido75 - GRUYERE, SOTMC
7) @m949
8) @Multum in parvo
9) @LJBraaten GRUYERE
10) @iver - GRUYERE
11) @Markdad2
12) @La Malice - GRUYERE, SOTMC, FFFMM,
13) ric164 - out (3/21: Brassbird)
14) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
15) @hopper_64 - GRUYERE, FFFMM
16) @cajunrph
17) @tjsgarden - GRUYERE
18) @Pyrate
19) @awk_m4 - GRUYERE
20) SmoothOperator - out (3/11: Standus Rex)
21) @Roedeer - 366er
22) @JKaboom - GRUYERE, FFFMM
23) @JAHE - GRUYERE, 300+
24) SmokedStanley - out (3/4: Yet another 400)
25) @ChriWilson - GRUYERE, SOTMC, FFFMM
26) @Snowman94
27) @redhillshaving - FFFMM, GRUME
28) @FL shaver

I don't see @MondoJ on the list, but maybe his sign-up got blown out along the way. I'll check.

[Five minutes later...]
No sign-up from @Mondo J, but I appreciate the spirit, so:
Honorary Mention) MondoJ - out (3/15: PVOC)

Apologies if this was shared here already! Below is the link for the B&B 2024 Rudy Vey Group Buy. If you have not yet checked it out please do so, ordering is open till this Sunday the 31st 11:59PM Eastern Standard!

Bonus part is it qualifies as an automatic exception under GRUME rules!!
Exceptions:

1. Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to restraints commitments, please limit B&B purchases to one (1) shaving item per month, including contributions to B&B! (All Non-Shaving B&B items are fair game.)

Semogue Premium Boar
Semogue Premium Boar.jpg

Synthetic, Muehle STF
Synthetic Muehle STF.jpg

Semogue Mistura
Semogue Mistura.jpg

Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip.jpg

Shavemac D01 Two-band silvertip
Shavemac D01 Two-band.jpg

Still in. A good close shave today with a couple nicks but nothing bad. Nice to feel the heft of the 34G again. There are lots of heavier razors but this just feels substantial for the size. The Schick blades are good but of the blades coming out of Germany I think I like the Persona Platinums better.

Razor: Merkur 34G
Blade: Schick triple coated
Brush: Zenith Horse
Cream: Speick Active Men
AS: Omega alum stick, ice cube, Speick Balm

Day 19, and I am out. A JNat came up for sale locally and, without the extortionate international postage fees that I am sadly accustomed to paying, the temptation was too much. No regrets as it looks like a lovely stone and was very reasonably priced. C'est la vie. :D

Great shave today, though. I hope you all enjoy yours! I'll stick around but now the dam has broken, I'll likely stumble again before pulling myself together for April! :)

As my travel to Japan gets closer and closer, I am anxiously awaiting my train ride to Kyoto...

Please post pics of your travels, and any finds you "stumble" across! :D
November is becoming a regular sabbatical from GRUME, we shall see if I am able to survive GRUYERE

This will mark my girl's first travels to Asia.
Many many moons ago, I was stationed in Okinawa - my wife came to visit so she's already had a taste of Tokyo

All the Anime and graphic novels aside, they have no idea the intensity of the culture shock they have in store.
Ideally, we would love to be able to connect with family friends that live in Shizuoka, but life is busy all around these days

*not my pic
proxy.php

IMG_6438.jpeg

Still in... (One more shave to go for me in the GRUME)

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Pre-Shave: Kiehl's Age Defender Exfoliating Cleanser / YBN Glycerin
Razor: Mühle Rocca R95
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Mühle Purist Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: Grooming Department - Sandalwood, Fig, Musk (sample)
Alum: none
A/S: 4711 Original Eau De Cologne
EdP: Creed - Himalaya

This shave was an exception 2-pass (WTG, ATG) BBS shave. I'm very surprised that I could achieve this result today, given that the lather was really subpar today. No nicks, weepers, or irritation.

I tried a new lathering method today where I don't pre-soak the brush, just wet the brush and lather with a soaking-wet brush (no shaking out of water). Naturally, this was way too much water and as a result the lather was far too hydrated and I ended up with vanishing lather. I added a bit of extra soap and somehow could get it workin. I decided to shave with it anyway and surprisingly the result was a lovely BBS. My brush lost three hairs today though, but I don't worry yet.

The method I was trying out is described on the Thäter homepage and was pointed out to me by @SmoothOperator. Thank you for sharing this with me. Thäter's website is unfortunately only in German, but if there's interest I would be more than happy to make a post with a translation of their brush care and lathering recommendations. I can tell you their recommendations are very different from the lathering advice we have all come to have known. No pre-soak, no loading for example. It didn't work for me today because the brush was just too wet, but I will try the "Thäter method" again for sure.

Completed this lovely shave today with 4711 and Creed Himalaya.

Have a great rest of the week everybody.

Date27.03.2024
366 daily shaves
087/366

RazorBladeBrush
Karve CB OC-CShark Chrome (3)Razorock Beehive
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (68)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Razor Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Had to be in the office early so needed an effective razor. My Karve never disappoints.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom