What's new

M7 Manchurian Badger - First Impressions

My pleasure Andrew - thanks for your feedback. I've only had the 58 for about a week, which probably makes it premature to post a review. However, it quickly became apparent that the knot was performing just like the Duke, which I've had for closer to 2 months, so on that basis I felt it was reasonable to write it. If anything changes I will follow up. If you like your Manchurian now, I expect it will likely only get better over the next couple of weeks as it opens up a bit more.

I was going to make a similar comment about the Duke and 58 in that photo. The tips on that 58 look noticeably whiter than the Duke. I'll bet this has to do with lighting and the way the knots are shaped.

Peter, the review is excellent and makes for some very informative reading about brushes in general. I am forming a very similar opinion of my Manchurian Duke. Thank you for taking the time to post that.

...Is it just the picture, or does the 58 have...a more distinctively 2-band appearance?...

Forgot to speak to this part of your question. Yes - the more distinctively 2-band appearance was noticeable straight out of the box. Clearly different from the Duke - and most others I have seen pictures of.

proxy.php

Well there's no doubt Simpsons made up a 58 (and 57) Manchurian that look from this photo like the other Manchurians that have been posted here. Would be interesting to see your 58 beside this one, Peter.

The brush was made exactly to spec; a 24mm/48mm knot closer in shape, as I had requested, to the Duke knot (more bulb than fan hybrid) than the traditional 58 knot (more fan than bulb hybrid).

Quoted from your review, Peter. Maybe the 58 tips look different because of the shape of the knot, not a difference in hair? Sounds like Mark had them tie a special one for you.

I'm faithfully on the 2012 Sabbatical, but admit that when Mark posted that picture, I went weak in the knees, before recovering myself. That 58 looks like a great brush, and thanks for an outstanding review.

I'm faithfully on the 2012 Sabbatical, but admit that when Mark posted that picture, I went weak in the knees, before recovering myself. That 58 looks like a great brush, and thanks for an outstanding review.

Mark may still have the 58 or 57 left. It's not too late to ditch your sabbatical in style!

But... if someone close to you were to give you one as a gift, would this break your sabbatical? Do you qualify for a Father's Day gift? It should easily arrive from the Isle of Man by June 17.

Mark may still have the 58 or 57 left. It's not too late to ditch your sabbatical in style!

But... if someone close to you were to give you one as a gift, would this break your sabbatical? Do you qualify for a Father's Day gift? It should easily arrive from the Isle of Man by June 17.

I have far too many brushes at this point to justify a different version of 57 or 58. The one that's giving me chest pains right now is the Diamond Jubilee brush. Good lord.

...Is it just the picture, or does the 58 have somewhat whiter tips and a more distinctively 2-band appearance?...

...Excellent observation - and one I hadn't noticed until I looked at that picture myself for the first time yesterday - it's clearly a different colour - don't know if that means a different batch or not but I have a hunch it may, as there was an unexplained delay in getting 58 made of a couple of weeks, which is uncharacteristic of Simpson. I will put the question to Mark and get back to you....

Mark did get back to me to say that all the Manchurian is from the same batch of hair, which, he added, is almost finished. The only explanation for the different colours is that it's hair from different Badgers.

I have been using my Manchurian Duke 3 for several weeks now. I can only echo what has been said in this thread many times already: the hair is distinctly different than the other Simpsons hair grades. I find it to be "just right" in terms of scrubbiness and tip softness. I do not get any of the uncomfortable scritch I felt with my Rooney Finest (a scritch I know some others love). The knot maintains a fairly compact form, with only a modest bloom. The brush makes excellent lather from anything I throw at it, although not the kind of explosive lather that flies everywhere. I like the hair grade so much that I ordered a Chubby 2 in Manchurian.

My only complaint with the Duke 3 Manchurian has nothing to do with the hair. Rather, the handle is a little too compact for my tastes. I had not owned or used a Duke 3 before this brush but had always been meaning to give one a try. I should have gone for a taller handle I am familiar with, like the Tulip 3 or the M7, or perhaps a Polo 8. I'm fairly certain once my CH2 arrives, I'm going to "exchange" the Duke for one of these taller handles.

I have been using my Manchurian Duke 3 for several weeks now. I can only echo what has been said in this thread many times already: the hair is distinctly different than the other Simpsons hair grades. I find it to be "just right" in terms of scrubbiness and tip softness. I do not get any of the uncomfortable scritch I felt with my Rooney Finest (a scritch I know some others love). The knot maintains a fairly compact form, with only a modest bloom. The brush makes excellent lather from anything I throw at it, although not the kind of explosive lather that flies everywhere. I like the hair grade so much that I ordered a Chubby 2 in Manchurian.

My only complaint with the Duke 3 Manchurian has nothing to do with the hair. Rather, the handle is a little too compact for my tastes. I had not owned or used a Duke 3 before this brush but had always been meaning to give one a try. I should have gone for a taller handle I am familiar with, like the Tulip 3 or the M7, or perhaps a Polo 8. I'm fairly certain once my CH2 arrives, I'm going to "exchange" the Duke for one of these taller handles.

The Fifty Series is a nice intermediate handle size between the Duke and those you listed. It's thicker than an Emperor, more uniform in shape than a Tulip, and not as tall as a Polo or M7. Regardless, it's hard to go wrong with any of those handles.

The Fifty Series is a nice intermediate handle size between the Duke and those you listed. It's thicker than an Emperor, more uniform in shape than a Tulip, and not as tall as a Polo or M7. Regardless, it's hard to go wrong with any of those handles.

Thanks, Bob. You'll recall the photos of that 58 posted a few pages back? It tempts me so. I have had a Tulip 3 (recently sold) in Super, and I am quite smitten with that handle, too. Had I not possessed that T3 when I bought the Duke, I'd have gone for a T3 Manchurian. I also have a 56 in Best, and the handle shape is a favorite.

My impression of the Manchurian hair in my Duke 3 was so favorable that I went for one of the big daddies, the CH2. It arrived yesterday, and I had the extreme pleasure of using it this morning with Razorock King Louis Lavender soap. This brush is just what I was looking for, but I shouldn't say much after just one use. Suffice it to say, I am extremely happy, and I am going to enjoy breaking this bad boy in. I expect my T3 Manchurian to arrive next week.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice brush Andrew! Enjoy.

My impression of the Manchurian hair in my Duke 3 was so favorable that I went for one of the big daddies, the CH2. It arrived yesterday, and I had the extreme pleasure of using it this morning with Razorock King Louis Lavender soap. This brush is just what I was looking for, but I shouldn't say much after just one use. Suffice it to say, I am extremely happy, and I am going to enjoy breaking this bad boy in. I expect my T3 Manchurian to arrive next week.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have been on the sidelines watching these brushes come through here, swearing that I would stick to the 2012 Sabbatical. Well, I caved, and got the only one that truly scratched my SBAD itch, the gorgeous Simpson Hive. I don't have pics, so you'll have to take my word for it that it happened. It arrived the other day, a mere week after ordering it directly from Simpson. Mark was kind enough to include a complimentary jar of their new Shaving Cream, which I will try when I finish my current 3017 soap, Trumper's Rose. Connie's description of the Hive is dead on. The handle is the star of this brush (at least to me), and is markedly different from the Rooney Beehive. It is a solid, heavy handle that feels very comfortable in hand. In comparison to the handle, you would think that the knot is an afterthought. In fact, the size of the handle makes the 23 mm knot seem small in comparison. The same sized knot in my 57 seems large. The first use today dispelled any concerns I had. Having used a boar for the last month or so, I forgot how much water a badger knot holds and started out making a lot of bubbles when loading....so I just kept loading. After a minute, I had a great lather started, and face lathered to finish. The Manchurian hair is exactly as described, a hybrid of 3 band Super and 2 band Super. I get a very scrubby feeling when lathering that is not the soft cloud of 3 band super, nor the coarse scrubbiness of 2 band. It's right in the middle. To my benefit, the Manchurian works just fine in the traditional Simpson hybrid fan knot, and is not a bulb. In short, it's a great brush, and different from every other badger in the den.

Nicely done, Bob. That hive is a really cool handle, and I'll bet it feels great in the hand.

One other thing Connie said that is so true is that these Manchurians are like potato chips.

Last edited:
Very true, they are like chips! While my Butterscotch Manchurian Tulip 3 was on the way, I put in an order for a very special custom set of 57's, one of which is a Manchurian. They should be arriving any day now I hope! My Simpson collection is growing faster than I care to believe!

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I have been on the sidelines watching these brushes come through here, swearing that I would stick to the 2012 Sabbatical. Well, I caved, and got the only one that truly scratched my SBAD itch, the gorgeous Simpson Hive. I don't have pics, so you'll have to take my word for it that it happened. It arrived the other day, a mere week after ordering it directly from Simpson. Mark was kind enough to include a complimentary jar of their new Shaving Cream, which I will try when I finish my current 3017 soap, Trumper's Rose. Connie's description of the Hive is dead on. The handle is the star of this brush (at least to me), and is markedly different from the Rooney Beehive. It is a solid, heavy handle that feels very comfortable in hand. In comparison to the handle, you would think that the knot is an afterthought. In fact, the size of the handle makes the 23 mm knot seem small in comparison. The same sized knot in my 57 seems large. The first use today dispelled any concerns I had. Having used a boar for the last month or so, I forgot how much water a badger knot holds and started out making a lot of bubbles when loading....so I just kept loading. After a minute, I had a great lather started, and face lathered to finish. The Manchurian hair is exactly as described, a hybrid of 3 band Super and 2 band Super. I get a very scrubby feeling when lathering that is not the soft cloud of 3 band super, nor the coarse scrubbiness of 2 band. It's right in the middle. To my benefit, the Manchurian works just fine in the traditional Simpson hybrid fan knot, and is not a bulb. In short, it's a great brush, and different from every other badger in the den.

Now aren't you glad you caved. :biggrin:

Your review got me thinking about the knot shape of the Manchurians. The hybrid fan shape that Simpson has chosen to set these brushes with really does seem to be the prefect shape to let this hair grade shine.

Nicely done, Bob. That hive is a really cool handle, and I'll bet it feels great in the hand.

One other thing Connie said that is so true is that these Manchurians are like potato chips.

:yesnod:

How do you like your T3 Manchurian? Do you still have your Duke? ..... or put another way... How many Manchurian Brushes do you have now and what are they?

Very true, they are like chips! While my Butterscotch Manchurian Tulip 3 was on the way, I put in an order for a very special custom set of 57's, one of which is a Manchurian. They should be arriving any day now I hope! My Simpson collection is growing faster than I care to believe!

Please be sure and post pictures when you get them. :thumbup1:

How do you like your T3 Manchurian? Do you still have your Duke? ..... or put another way... How many Manchurian Brushes do you have now and what are they?

Hi Connie,

My Manchurian count is at 3, where I think it will have to stay. I passed the Duke 3 along to another forum member who enjoys it thoroughly. I didn't get along with the handle size in relation to the knot size and feel. The Tulip 3 is fantastic. I love the handle shape, and I love the way the knot was formed - just the right density and loft for my tastes. The Chubby 2 is all that and more. And my most recent acquisition is a gorgeous Polo 10. I feel like I reached the summit with the Polo 10. It is simply incredible. The knot is big - 28mm x 56mm (or thereabouts). I have a Polo 10 in Best, which has the same knot dimensions but is a completely different beast. The Manchurian knot keeps a nice "compact" form on the face and gives me that nice scrub the Polo 10 Best doesn't quite give.

The handle is pretty close to perfect for me. It's hefty, and I can sit the base in the palm of my hand, grasp the handle near the top with the tips of my fingers and load/lather very easily. Sometimes when I'm loading smaller brushes, having to be dainty while I hold it can be uncomfortable.

Now aren't you glad you caved. :biggrin:

Ummm....yes. :blushing:

Top Bottom