What's new

M7 Manchurian Badger - First Impressions

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
How many Manchurian brushes do you think they have made and sold? I'm guessing in the 100 range. I don't think that's so much hair. But I guess they could be sitting on a large stockpile of it?

I have wondered if at some point the newer Manchurians will have a slightly different hair than some of the earlier ones Vulfix has been turning out. From an exclusivity standpoint, I suppose some people would like to see Simpsons sell out of Manchurians.

I ordered my emperors right off the bat as well as the M7 for this very reason. I would like a little exclusivity out of it so to speak. I can say that mine should have been from the earliest batch, hopefully..haha

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
i really wonder how much of this Manchurian hair they have at the factory. It seems to be an endless supply at this time.

Mark originally said he had 7kgs of of the Manchurian Badger (High Mountain Silvertip) which converts to 15.4lbs. I'm not sure if he was able to source any more.

Anyone know a ballpark number for the weight of hair Simpsons brushes have?

QED publishes the weight of their silvertip hair. They use 13 grams in a 20 mm knot, 15 grams in a 22mm knot and 20 grams in a 24mm knot.

28 grams = 1 ounce, so to keep it simple let's say 2 brushes to an ounce on average.

So, at 32 brushes to a pound, it comes out to just under 500 brushes. If Simpsons use 50% more hair by weight than QED, it's still enough for about 375 brushes.

Unless my math is off.

Last edited:
Just arrived - 10 days from UK to US and a free tub of Vulfix rose cream to boot. Looking forward to trying it out.

proxy.php

Precious T3 !! :001_tt1: This hair has a very important virtue makes the maximum foam quality of every product I've tried :thumbup:

My Duke 3 Manchurian arrived today. This was not good for practicing restraint, from an instant gratification standpoint. My order went through on May 10. The brush arrived in my mailbox today. Almost as amazing as the brush itself. Fresh out of the box photos now. I'll review the brush later.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Beautiful brush. Congratualtions. You will love it.

My Duke 3 Manchurian arrived today. This was not good for practicing restraint, from an instant gratification standpoint. My order went through on May 10. The brush arrived in my mailbox today. Almost as amazing as the brush itself. Fresh out of the box photos now. I'll review the brush later.

proxy.php

proxy.php

That is a wonderfully written and thoughtful review. Thanks for the great write up. :thumbup:

My totally unbiased opinion is that you should keep both of them. :wink2:

Thanks Robin. I'm glad to see your opinion remains just as unbiased as the day you wrote the original review that got me into this whole mess in the first place!

I've posted a review of my 58 Manchurian here for anyone who's interested.

I'm with Robin, a really fantastic review! Is it just the picture, or does the 58 have somewhat whiter tips and a more distinctively 2-band appearance? It also appears to have a more densely packed knot; does the loaded 58 feel much different than the Duke on your face or is it primarily a handle issue? Those are really a gorgeous pair of brushes and I can see how parting with either would be a problem.

I was going to make a similar comment about the Duke and 58 in that photo. The tips on that 58 look noticeably whiter than the Duke. I'll bet this has to do with lighting and the way the knots are shaped.

Peter, the review is excellent and makes for some very informative reading about brushes in general. I am forming a very similar opinion of my Manchurian Duke. Thank you for taking the time to post that.

I'm with Robin, a really fantastic review! Is it just the picture, or does the 58 have somewhat whiter tips and a more distinctively 2-band appearance? It also appears to have a more densely packed knot; does the loaded 58 feel much different than the Duke on your face or is it primarily a handle issue? Those are really a gorgeous pair of brushes and I can see how parting with either would be a problem.

Thanks.

Excellent observation - and one I hadn't noticed until I looked at that picture myself for the first time yesterday - it's clearly a different colour - don't know if that means a different batch or not but I have a hunch it may, as there was an unexplained delay in getting 58 made of a couple of weeks, which is uncharacteristic of Simpson. I will put the question to Mark and get back to you.

The brushes perform pretty much identically, with the 58 feeling ever so slightly fuller - but not necessarily bigger, if you get what I mean. The knot part of the review is applicable to either brush.

Top Bottom